How many affiliates can a good site have?
    I am simply trying to get a understanding how many affiliates is a good number?

I know its tough to say, but just looking for examples. What is a low number, decent number or outstanding number of affiliates that bring sales to your site?

Quote Originally Posted by logodex View Post
    I am simply trying to get a understanding how many affiliates is a good number?

I know its tough to say, but just looking for examples. What is a low number, decent number or outstanding number of affiliates that bring sales to your site?
    I'm guessing you're using the wrong term here. Unless you're a merchant yourself, you don't have "affiliates" bringing sales to your site.

If you are NOT a merchant, you are an affiliate -- and you add merchants to your site to bring sales.

And there absolutely is no way of knowing even an estimate of how many merchants you need to use on a site.

I have one site that has more than 30 merchants and makes me only an occasional sale. I have another site that makes a couple of hundred bucks off of two merchants.

But, if you want anyone to give you a better answer, you need to be clear about the terminology -- are you a merchant seeking affiliates to sell your products/programs? Or are you an affiliate (sometimes called "publisher") seeking merchants for your affiliate website?

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks. I am new to this, but yes I am a merchant. I am developing a company that is a service fee based website and I am starting a affiliate program and recruiting affiliates.

I am trying to gauge an idea of what are goals to have as to how many affiliates is considered successful.

example. Lets say you have a company that is a niche, good conversion, and average ticket price per sale ranges from $135- up to $800, with a 50% commission.

What would be considered a success in 30,60,90 days as far as affiliate signups?
    5, 30, or 1500?

Quote Originally Posted by logodex View Post
    What would be considered a success in 30,60,90 days as far as affiliate signups?
    5, 30, or 1500?
    I don't think there is a set number for success.
    Keep in mind: recruitment takes a while and if you are not
    experienced working with affiliates, you might want to hire an OPM.
    Another factor to consider is that the affiliates you recruit may
    or may not become active right away; once again you might want
    to consider hiring an OPM especially if you sell "big ticket" items.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Quantity vs. quality is a frequent newbie question. Just as Writerguy said, there's no magic formula that 30 affiliates = x sales, and 60 affiliates = 2x sales. It's the quality, skill and appropriateness of an affiliate that determines results. I'd rather have 1 producing affiliate than 100 non-producers.

And always remember, biggest is not always best.

Even if you don't want an OPM all the time, I agree that you may want to consider hiring someone to at least get your program going, or you may waste a lot of time and money trying to do it yourself. None of us would like to see that!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    average ticket price per sale ranges from $135- up to $800
    That's an average order value of $467.50, don't confuse affiliates!

Focus on the sales you are making. You can have a program with 3000 affiliates and if only making $1000/month in sales its a failure. I take it you have to write some number for management so they have a number to judge against. Means they don't understand this market. Do you ask how many SERPs you need to be doing well in SEO? Or how many ads you have to run to be doing well in PPC.

How about 100 then work to get 10 producing then double that number every month at the same time recruiting 100 more a month. There, you have a number.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Also, set proper expectations. Affiliate marketing isn't something you turn on overnight. It will take a few months for any program to gain traction, so plan on at least a year of growing and refining before you have major expectations. Not saying it can't happen faster, but I'm always frustrated by merchants who launch a poorly designed program that lasts 3 months, then whine that affiliate marketing doesn't work.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

I have no answers for you, but I'm certainly interested in what your niche is.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread