ABW Ambassador
    Affiliates using Google Adwords PPC
    Does any affiliate here use Google AdWords PPC to direct traffic to the affiliate sites any more. Pls note that I am not asking about affiliates direct linking to the vendor's site with a display url of the vendor's website. I am taking about ads with your own display url and landing page.

I used to use AdWords and needless to say it used to give me volume and conversions. But as G started disliking affiliate sites and slap affiliate ads with zero quality scores, I slowly stopped all my campaigns. I haven't logged back into my Adwords account for more than a year, though G keeps sending me friendly emails to come back :-)

I am curious to know if any affiliate here uses Adwords and how G is treating them now a days.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Highly optimized landing pages rife with consumer friendly original content and not just stuffed with affiliate links generally* do not get slapped and have high quality scores and thus reasonable cost-per-click. I do very little with Adwords these days, but the campaign(s) I do run do pretty well.

*Some still do - I stop those campaigns.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

3. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    I never did Landing Pages for my ads. But the pages I would use for landing pages were real pages of my site that would come up in organic searches. They were highly optimized with original content. But G would still slap them with low quality score after a few days. Interactions with their support team would yield only canned messages. But the final message I would get is if you don't have a cart of your own and if you are sending the visitor to a vendor, your quality score will suffer.

I have seen some affiliate sites attempted to work around this issue by not having any affiliate link on their landing pages. But they wd direct the visitors to another page on their site, where they will have the affiliate link. It may be an attempt to make G believe that you are not driving your visitor to another site, rather directing them to a page within with more info about the product/service.

I have never tried this approach and don't know if G liked it not.

I've been told the same thing - have a landing page full of content but that directs potential customers to another page that has affiliate links.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    I've been told the same thing - have a landing page full of content but that directs potential customers to another page that has affiliate links.
    In other words:
    "Let's say we're trying to improve the customer experience, but instead make them take another step to get where they need to go."
    Your Ad Here.

7. Thanks From:

Exactly.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Since July 1st 2012 Google transitioned from pure search into the worlds largest shopping Mall and comparision shopping site based upon data mined factual information on ALL merchants and products over 4 years. No trickery and if you want to get relivance in Google for pushing products you'll need a shopping cart and fullfillment agreement with a merchant/drop shipper to get any Google link/listing love.

Satellite sales sites rule from here on out verses the old incent and Algo gaming strategies.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity View Post
    Since July 1st 2012 Google transitioned from pure search into the worlds largest shopping Mall and comparision shopping site based upon data mined factual information on ALL merchants and products over 4 years. No trickery and if you want to get relivance in Google for pushing products you'll need a shopping cart and fullfillment agreement with a merchant/drop shipper to get any Google link/listing love.

Satellite sales sites rule from here on out verses the old incent and Algo gaming strategies.
    If that is true then how come I have* affiliate site pages (no cart, no "fulfillment agreement") show up on first page Google SERPS in natural search?

___
    *as I am sure many other affiliate marketers do also

11. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Google organic search and paid search are two different things. Affiliate pages do come up in organic search results, still. For paid searches Google has a different view, it prefers sites with their own cart for paid ads.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread