Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Arrow Canadian Affiliate Networks
    Hi all,

I'm doing the affiliate management of a big European fashion brand. We currently manage the program for entire Europe and are now looking for expanding it to Canada.

Therefor I'm trying to get as much information about the Canadian market as I can. Please help me out with some simple questions. Let's kick off with the most important:

- Which affiliate network (active in Canada) is the most preferred one under fashion publishers?

Thanks in advance!

Cj
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Affiliate Window and AvantLink are represented here and have Canadian networks.

Some networks have created a Canadian Version of their main network but only offer a few programs, As an affiliate I would pick a merchant on a major network over a unknow merchant on a smaller Canadian sub-network.

Just my 2 cents worth as an affiliate.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Is the support any better with CJ/Canada? How about LS/Canada?

Their is no CJ Canada it is just one big network. That is why I like them.

LinkShare Canada Sucks just like LinkShare USA!!

Also their is a trend for merchants to have a Canadian Program and a US program with the exact same landing pages. I think this is mainly do to Networks (Linkshare, etc) trying to get the merchants to pay for 2 programs when they only need one. This may not not be the same thought with a current UK program.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Since you asked, Affiliate Window is known as an international network, and we have helped countless European fashion merchants launch in the US and Canada. Currently we have over 75 programs working within Canada, including a tremendous number focusing on Canada only.

We understand the nuances of affiliate marketing on both sides of the pond, and how to structure a UK program to make it work for North America.

We would be happy to discuss this with you, if you wish.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Some networks have created a Canadian Version of their main network but only offer a few programs, As an affiliate I would pick a merchant on a major network over a unknow merchant on a smaller Canadian sub-network.
    I would also like to contribute to this thread and mention that we launched a network last Oct 1st that's dedicated to the Canadian market. We are incorporated in Canada, and we're open for business there with AvantLink.ca.

So far we're off to a good start, and we have a number of high-profile brands going live in the coming weeks. Here is a link to our current client list from our public facing site:

AvantLink Canada Merchants
    Last edited by GravityFed; January 24th, 2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added link to abw thread

So Gary how many full time staff do you have working in your Canadain Office? What Canadian city do you have your Canadian office located in?

We are incorporated in British Columbia. Where are you in Canada?

In the east coast, but you are incorporated in British Columbia but do you have an office in Canada with Canadian staff?? The reason I asking is not picking on you or your company but the fact that both larger and smaller Networks (and merchants) claim to have a "Canadian Network (Store)" but in fact all they have is a piece of paper and maybe a .ca version of their domain name and maybe a PO Box that gets forwarded to their US offices.

Right now there is no full-time staff in Canada b/c we are brand new with that network. When it's warranted we will move full-time staff to BC.

We needed to incorporate in Canada in order to even register the AvantLink.ca domain. We are fully committed to that market with this version of our network, and only Canadian specific merchants qualify.

BTW if you're a publisher in both, you can toggle between the two networks while logged in. It's pretty slick if I do say so myself
    Last edited by GravityFed; January 24th, 2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: more info

Thank Gary again not picking on you but your Canadian Network is just a .ca domain name and nothing else. Your and other have setup a .ca domain hoping to attract Canadian merchants (and affiliate) since they think your are a Canadian network but in fact as I have stated above (that you pointed out) is just a US company pretending that they have a Canadian presence.

I know everything your doing is above the board and getting "New" Canadian Merchants to open affiliate programs is a good thing. But again in most cases the merchants listed on these smaller Canadian sub Networks have affiliate programs on other larger networks as well.

You're right, it is all above board. It's a Canadian corporation, paying Canadian taxes and soon to be likely hiring Canadian people to run it.

It's entirely different than a US company accommodating Canadian merchants. We were already doing that, but we wanted to commit fully to the market.

Great, do not get me wrong I hope you do open up a Canadian Office and hire Canadians to work for your company and get more Canadian merchants to open affiliate programs or at least improve the ones they currently have running. Looking forward to it. But right now your still just a domain name and piece of paper and pay some Canadian tax's. The reason I keep pointing this out is that your trying to make your company look different from all the other sub-networks but right now your not, but I hope some day soon that will change. Good Luck!!

And just for your info I was thinking about Linkshare when I made my comments never even thought about the two networks that posted in this thread.

I think there is another layer that needs to be discussed and that is are the networks paying in Canadian dollars. One of my biggest affiliates ever is Canadian and she had us pay her in US dollars to a US bank. She didn't want to have to go through the trouble of cashing a US dollar check each month and relying on the cross border mail system. So the first step is setting up banking in Canada both for the affiliates and merchants so they can work in Canadian dollars.

I just got back from Outdoor Retailer where I spoke with several companies and asked if they sell in Canada. It requires a distributor in Canada which takes a lot of work. That's a barrier to doing business in Canada for US merchants and is reciprocal for Canadian companies wanting to sell in the US. NAFTA was supposed to remedy that but instead made it more difficult to do cross border business.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    That is definitely something that can frustrate an affiliate! We offer our affiliates numerous ways to be paid - check, ACH or International Wire (at no cost to the affiliate). With International Wire, affiliates can choose the destination currency; we offer over 50 different currency options, including Canadian Dollars.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    I think there is another layer that needs to be discussed and that is are the networks paying in Canadian dollars. One of my biggest affiliates ever is Canadian and she had us pay her in US dollars to a US bank. She didn't want to have to go through the trouble of cashing a US dollar check each month and relying on the cross border mail system. So the first step is setting up banking in Canada both for the affiliates and merchants so they can work in Canadian dollars.
    Payment has never been a concern of mine, when possible I get direct deposit and have the funds put in my bank account which takes care of the conversion and the conversion rate is not that bad at all. Not sure why any Canadian would setup a US Bank account unless they did not want the Canadian Gov to know their making money to lower their tax's. I not saying that is the case here just can not see a reason why anyone would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    I just got back from Outdoor Retailer where I spoke with several companies and asked if they sell in Canada. It requires a distributor in Canada which takes a lot of work. That's a barrier to doing business in Canada for US merchants and is reciprocal for Canadian companies wanting to sell in the US. NAFTA was supposed to remedy that but instead made it more difficult to do cross border business.
    I heard this before from merchants stating that they think they need a distributor in Canada to sell to Canadians. That not true at all in my option. Just use USPS who will deal directly with Canada Post. If they want better tracking then use FedEx/UPS but this option will cost Canadian more when the package gets delivered. I always pick USPS when I have an option when getting something from the US.

The problem with NAFTA is that most things are not made in the US or Canada any more so they are not covered by NAFTA (that my understanding anyway)

Not sure why any Canadian would setup a US Bank account unless they did not want the Canadian Gov to know their making money to lower their tax's. I not saying that is the case here just can not see a reason why anyone would do it.
    I think it was a matter of the time it took to mail then to deposit as US dollars. This was several years ago and she just resolved any issue with a US account.

I heard this before from merchants stating that they think they need a distributor in Canada to sell to Canadians. That not true at all in my option. Just use USPS who will deal directly with Canada Post.
    These were 150 pound treadmills so USPS wasn't an option.

Interesting conversation going on here.. Thanks for all the input!
    Is there actually any network that has an office in Canada? I know the market is quite small with just 33 million people living in Canada. Ofcourse everything depends on their online behavior, you can make a pretty good living out of 33 million people if they have potential.

How big is buying online in Canada? I'm getting the feeling that the online market in Canada is pretty immature but growing. Anyone has any idea about this?

And are there any populair Canadian affiliate fashion websites?

Quote Originally Posted by DutchPeter View Post
    Interesting conversation going on here.. Thanks for all the input!
    Is there actually any network that has an office in Canada? I know the market is quite small with just 33 million people living in Canada. Ofcourse everything depends on their online behavior, you can make a pretty good living out of 33 million people if they have potential.

How big is buying online in Canada? I'm getting the feeling that the online market in Canada is pretty immature but growing. Anyone has any idea about this?

And are there any populair Canadian affiliate fashion websites?
    I sure that shareresults .com is a truly Canadian Company, however I still stick by my suggestion that CJ (and maybe GAN) is a good network for you. Their are a lot of truly Canadian affiliate Managers/OPM out their that can manage you program no mater what network you pick.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    I sure that shareresults .com is a truly Canadian Company, however I still stick by my suggestion that CJ (and maybe GAN) is a good network for you. Their are a lot of truly Canadian affiliate Managers/OPM out their that can manage you program no mater what network you pick.

Good luck
    Thanks, I agree on that last sentence.
    But like I asked before, how's the potential of the Canadian market? Do they buy online?

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    Not sure why any Canadian would setup a US Bank account unless they did not want the Canadian Gov to know their making money to lower their tax's. I not saying that is the case here just can not see a reason why anyone would do it.
    What an absolute load of ill-informed garbage. This reminds me of a comment you made ages ago http://www.abestweb.com/forums/944598-post6.html that also got me ticked. What's with you and your obsession with other peoples taxes? Unless you've got a guilty conscience?

Here's one reason out of a thousand I can think of. How about needing your money in US dollars because most of your expenses are in US dollars and why would you want to exchange the money twice.

FYI, you report your US income based on the average exchange rate for the year.

God I so honored that you remembered a post I made years ago!!! No guilty conscience here I paid over $50,000 in taxes last year! Are you feeling guilty??????????? Most of been something that brought you back here to make the post about my old post from years ago

I stating that I see no reason why an Canadian affiliate would keep all their affilliate earning in a US bank.

You can go back to riunning the internet again and post about my Tax obsession when I bring it up again in a few years.

Man do I feel so special!!!! What a A$$

Quote Originally Posted by ToughTurkey View Post
    What an absolute load of ill-informed garbage. This reminds me of a comment you made ages ago http://www.abestweb.com/forums/944598-post6.html that also got me ticked. What's with you and your obsession with other peoples taxes? Unless you've got a guilty conscience?
    Man that post was made in July 4th, 2009, 07:19 PM, and you posted here around 6 times in the last 9 month's!!! I must of hit a nerve in my post 4 years ago for you to make your post here today. Maybe some professional help maybe required for you to get over my post from 4 year ago.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast