ABW Ambassador
    I've noticed recently that Catalog City at CJ seems to be switching all of it's identical product links to Sears as opposed to HomeVisions.

It's obvious that they (Sears and HomeVisions ) are one and the same , allthough I haven't figured out how the two parent companies connect yet ,

BUT I'm wondering why all of a sudden has Catalog City switched over ?

Do you think they know something we don't know, or have they finally figured out that Homevisons product links from them were kind of redundant , considering the fact that Homevisons products are allready in the CJ advertiser network and available directly to us at higher commissions than from Catalog City ?

What concerns me is that some of the newer Homevisons products don't come up in the product search yet, as if MAYBE they don't intend to be around in the near future ?

What do you suppose is going on with that ?

ABW Ambassador
    I don't understand what you mean when you say "I've noticed recently that Catalog City at CJ seems to be switching all of it's identical product links to Sears as opposed to HomeVisions."

ABW Ambassador
    I just noticed that product searches seem to produce mainly Sears products from CatalogCity now, with HomeVisions kind of at the bottom of the barrel.

I don't know what it means, if anything , just an observance . This has got to be "fooling" many affilites into thinking they are getting something different , when in reality, it's the same products, same prices, and the same EXACT items go out of stock, on sale, in clearance, etc. at the same time at Sears and HomeVisions.

Is there really anyone that doesn't see the "match" between Sears and HomeVisions ?

The only difference is CatalogCity pays you a 40% commission on what you COULD be getting 100% commission on directly from HomeVisons .

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    CatalogCity is an affiliate posing as a merchant. No different than EcomCity but the owners have money....LOL

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    DUMP CatalogCity - they create nothing but problems

Brian
    aka Cyclone

I agree with Brian. If your site gets decent traffic on its own, many of the merchants CC deals with will offer you the same deal they've offered CC (which is better than you're getting now).

You get to keep the full commission percentage offered by the merchant, instead of having CC take their cut out of the middle. In most cases, it's just not worth all the bother to deal with CC.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't promote Catalog City, but I do promote Homevisions, which is why I was even concerned .

I was just wondering if perhaps they (Catalog City) knows something that we don't know about HomeVisions .

Never mind, it really doesn't matter anyway.

Catalog City is trouble?

When I do a product search I get most of the results from Catalog City!

Some of the results are from merchants at CJ, so I try to get the product link from them; but a lot of the times they dont have as many, or even any product links. I don't understand that!

Anyway, that leaves me no choice but to get the product link from Catalog City, even though I don't want to rely on their product links so much

ABW Ambassador
    netsu ,

Just a suggestion in case you are not aware ... Before you resort to using the Catalog City product links for advertisers that are already available within the CJ network to you directly, you might want to check if the particular advertiser has advanced linking options turned on and just build your own product links.

If this feature is not available , and you really want to sell a particular product,it may even be worth your while to use a text link to the appropriate or closest department and copy the product image to your own server .

Be carefull with this though, as some advertisers seem to have a problem with that .

Common sense tells me that if the advertiser is making product links to one affiliate (Catalog City) , then they are not sufferring from the paranoid delusion that product links are some sort of trademark or branding issue .

They "shouldn't" have a problem with it , and you can always ask, it wouldn't hurt .

Personally, I'd even go as far as looking at Linkshare merchants for the same product BEFORE resorting to Catalog City, and if all else failed, I'd probably just leave that product out and find a similar item , JMO

Thank you for the advice, Lisa

I've never made my own product links.

I tried today and I think I got it, but I want to be sure.

After you replace the image link, you copy and paste the URL and replace the product description. Then you replace the input type="hidden" name="url" value=" with the product URL and that's it?

As long as you don't mess with the PID and AID you get tracked, right?

ABW Ambassador
    Yep that's it, but I don't bother hiding the tracking code myself.

Oops, almost forgot, but this you will most certainly figure out for yourself anyway ... You will have to change the height and width size of the image to the new size , this is not automatically generated for you , which is a slight pain in the rear, but you really have no choice

[This message was edited by Lisa on February 21, 2003 at 10:03 PM.]

Thank you, Lisa!

I learned something very useful today, and I'm so happy!

Hooray for making your own product links!

I joined with Catalog City because they have a
    5$ rating, but I've read so much negative stuff about them that I won't promote them anymore.

Why does CJ give such high mark to them, and other merchants who have a five $ rating even though they only give a one day cookie?

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread