How Do You Handle Missing Images & Bad Landing Pages?
    I'm in the process of building my first affiliate store. I'm sing SellFire to build the stores, but I don't think the problem is with Sellfire. I believe the problem is with the merchant datafeeds.

Here's the situation: I'd very much like to include products from a couple of merchants, but in case no images display and in another case the images display but the landing pages are "401 not found".

On rock.com (cj) I get descriptions, no images.

On Look At Me Shirts (ShareASale), I get images that lead to bad landing pages.

In the case of rock.com, I sent an email through CJ inquiring about the problem. I've yet to hear back. Today, I sent a ticket through CJ.

My questions:

1) Should I just skip these merchants until the problem is resolved? I want their products in my stores and fear the problem will persist.

2) Should I just add the products, put up with missing images or bad landing pages for now? Will the issue resolve itself when they update their feed?

3) Is there something I can do to fix the problem?

How do you handle these types of problems?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    If you contact the merchant and they do not respond/fix the issue(s) - move on without them.

In the world of datafeeds it's "garbage in - garbage out"...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

Thanks. I'm starting to see that. Seems that bad landing pages and missing images are a recurring issue.

I'm spending more time working on this than on other tasks. I think I'll continue to send off emails when I run into it, but I must move on. Doesn't make it easy to promote them, though.

It's good to know it's not something I'm doing or not doing. Thanks

75% of the feeds we look at are not acceptable for our use, for one reason or another - whether it's missing images, outdated, no category structure, no gender, etc. We also process millions of lines of feeds every day to get the products we need...

ABW Ambassador
    More often than not when I have to request that a datafeed be fixed for missing images or bad landing pages, it will happen again. They may fix it but it will occur again later down the road. It's a sign that no one is really managing the program and it's kind of on auto pilot. Most of the time, you'll find that those datafeeds are very outdated as well.

Since you are just starting out, I would just move on to other merchants and keep a watch on how the merchants you contact respond to your datafeed request.

Good Luck!

7. Thanks From:

I've dropped merchants for poor datafeeds, and make a conscious decision to promote those with current products & updated info.

It serves no purpose to send a valuable click to 'page/product not found'.

One merchant cheerfully once responded the following (I kept it as a reminder!):
    We have so many items in our catalog. It's too time consuming. We just haven't kept up with the store catalog on Commission Junction. All of our affilate partners use the link or the ads that we have available for use.

9. Thanks From:

LOL - Have received similar excuses.

(also for banners, etc)...

Just move on to a competitor - have a nice day...

AffiliateMan
    "We have so many items in our catalog. It's too time consuming. We just haven't kept up with the store catalog on Commission Junction."

I'm amazed that so many people do things manually ... on a computer. All they'd have to do is to install the right script or pay a developer for a few hours work and it'll all be automated for them. On the other hand, maybe I'm just lazy since I prefer to let the computer do the boring work. :-)

12. Thanks From:

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread