Affiliate Manager Rafi Goldmeier's Avatar
    affiliate program for a one-product company
    I have been in touch with a few "one-product" companies about potentially starting affiliate programs. 1 was all gung-ho and then backed out at the last moment. I am now helping another investigate their options in affiliate marketing, and I started to wonder:

it seems like a lot of money for a one-product company to join an affiliate network, just to sell one product. It also seems like a lot of money to buy affiliate software and host it yourself, with all the extra expenses it will require for running the program, just to sell one product..

So, my question is: is there a recommended method for getting a one-product company into affiliate marketing in a way that is financially worthwhile? Is there an affiliate network that will let you list your one product at a lower fee rate rather than registering normally and paying the normal rates?
    Rafi Goldmeier
    Affiliate Manager (OPM)

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    I have at least one merchant with only one product, and several with only a few products. I think the key is what's the product - is there enough demand and enough margin to have a successful program? You may have already answered that question, given your reference to the extra expenses for an in-house program and costs to join a network.

For an affiliate program to be successful, it needs to generate revenue for not only the merchant, but for the affiliate and network as well. Everyone involved will have invested time and resources in the program, and deserves to be rewarded for their efforts. It doesn't cost the network any less to integrate a single-product merchant.

Perhaps focusing on adding additional products to the offering, or modifying the current product to appeal to a wider audience might make the opportunity worth the investment to create an affiliate program.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    So, my question is: is there a recommended method for getting a one-product company into affiliate marketing in a way that is financially worthwhile? Is there an affiliate network that will let you list your one product at a lower fee rate rather than registering normally and paying the normal rates?
    Yes, once the merchant is successful in SEO, PPC, display, email, etc. they will have affiliates asking to join their program. If they are not being asked then they haven't completed optimizing the first channels of Internet marketing. I have said it a 100 times and will say it 100 more. Affiliate marketing is an incremental addition to a successful online marketing program.

Affiliate Manager
    Chuck has got it. Affiliate marketing is another tool, and should fit with your other marketing efforts. You should be able to do some napkin math - use JCrooks info, demand, margin, throw in click through & conversion rate you should get close to your A/S number (cost to revenue) to know if it is going to work for you.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread