How do merchants view test purchases/using your own links
    So.....My whole foray into this wonderful world of affiliate marketing is based on focusing on things that I am interested in. Therefore my links and ads are going to merchants that I myself use.

Question is: How do merchants and affiliate program managers view an affiliate who is using there own links for purchases.

I want to do some test purchases anyway but why wouldnt I go through my own site for purchases that im going to make anyway

Will this get me flaggged and booted or do they expect a small number coming from the same IP address

I know this could be a dumb question, but I sincerely dont know how this would be looked at????

Thanks

You need to read the merchants' TOS,
    If it's not in their terms then I'd suggest contacting the affiliate manager, good luck on the later way.
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

3. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lawrence View Post
    You need to read the merchants' TOS,
    If it's not in their terms then I'd suggest contacting the affiliate manager, good luck on the later way.
    I was gonna do this but.......doesnt everyone ask a forum rather than do actual work

seriously, im looking just for a general consensus.

Ill put it this way. Has anyone ever gotten in trouble for test purchases??

Quote Originally Posted by Carwasher View Post
    Ill put it this way. Has anyone ever gotten in trouble for test purchases??
    If a merchant prohibits affiliate credit for a purchase, the TOS usually will state such a prohibition.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

6. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    If a merchant prohibits affiliate credit for a purchase, the TOS usually will state such a prohibition.
    Thats good info. Thank you again.

The only "test" purchases I've made are legitimate purchases for my own self.. a couple of times a family member clicked through for their own purchase.

I saw good results - only one merchant failed to pass the test, and I fought for months for $10 (it was the principle) - another merchant tested successfully via Paypal, which was a nice surprise.

I think you're fine if they are real purchases, but if you're planning a shotgun approach (then cancelling a whole bunch of transactions), time might be better spent elsewhere.

There is a sub-forum here to report results: Test Purchase Reports - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum

Im trying to kill two birds with one stone with the test purchases

Testing out my links while buying stuff I need anyway.

Thanks for the responses

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    It depends on the merchant and AM/OPM. I negotiate with all my merchants on a cost per sale for the affiliate channel. Affiliate self orders fall into that window so are allowed to get commissioned for their purchases as a further discount. It depends on the program so ask so you are not surprised if it doesn't record.

11. Thanks From:

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    If you are wondering about it, I think you should be able to reach the AM for the program and ask. I don't mind affiliates doing test purchases, unless, as teezone said, they decide to then cancel a ton of transactions. That makes the affiliate look bad and the merchant look bad, and no one likes that!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

13. Thanks From:

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread