Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    Such A Shame Few Affiliates Are Niche
    At one time affiliate programs were inundated with decent content affiliates or niche affiliates who could really build a program. These days they are like rocking horse shit. Very hard to find.

Whether its hunting for luxury goods affiliates (there are a few) to decent jewelry affiliates (not so many) to specific tv program affiliates to market program merchandise, I find it depressing that nobody these days (with a few exceptions and those exceptions do really well) bothers with producing decent quality sites.

Am I getting old (go on I won't be offended), am I out of touch (well I am old) or am I slowly becoming aware that the real affiliate has died and gone to affiliate heaven?
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

2. Thanks From:

the real affiliate has died and gone to affiliate heaven?
    You can thank Google for that...

I have built, and continue to run, a couple of quality niche sites, one of which is focused on luxury goods.. unfortunately, G is less than forgiving with the various algo changes, and they refuse to provide any assistance to legitimate white-hat non-link building webmasters.

I've done everything possible to regain rankings, but as I told someone just today, it's like fixing a leaky roof in the dark. You just don't know where the problem is..

For me, conversion is high but traffic is low... not much to be done about that.

Some of us are trying VERY hard, but there doesn't seem to be a solution anywhere.

I'll contact you directly because I want to "tap" you up for some programs and won't mention them on the forum as that's against rules.

Luxury is high end electronics for example around $10,000 an item sold in bespoke upmarket stores on concession stands and available from the suppliers online (example solid gold iphones). Another high end program does stuff like crocodile skin handbags etc for up to $6,000 a product. As for jewelry I am literally swimming in the stuff now with a number of programs on stream.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I think the real affiliates are very selective with the niche they search and who they work with. That said several of the biggest content affiliates I work with have moved on. When in the mix they focused on specific niches and weren't interested in others.

6. Thanks From:

the real affiliates are very selective with the niche they search and who they work with
    Not sure I agree with this...

I'm not saying I'm not selective, but AMs & merchants often don't realize that our success comes from traffic that converts. My conversion is still high (which is great), but a loss in traffic means a direct loss in revenue.

When you lose more than 50% of your visitors, your focus changes - to SEO, content, new ideas, expanding a niche (to attract more traffic). I have a number of merchants looking for extra promotion on my sites, and as much as I would like to do that, my day is still tied up in too much dam SEO.

The right opportunity is still of interest, but again, I need to bring visitors to MY site before I can send them to the merchant.

Perhaps AMs would be well-served to offer SEO advice..

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Very niche here - Only sell Madonna's bras she wore in the 80s.

I think the real affiliates are very selective with the niche they search and who they work with.
    What's a "real affiliate"?

There are niches that I personally try to stay away from, IE: Home Electronics and Computers. However if a merchant also sells appliances - that works. Unless it's something stupid like 1% for new customers and 1/2% for existing.

Oh hell no...

John, these UK merchants for handbags / jewelry or US merchants?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Well the only advice I'll give is that Google is very positive towards social media and any site which embraces social media AND content hits the peak.

I am hearing that from a lot of people behind the scenes.

Of course that still doesn't stop Google's inexorable striving towards getting everyone to use Google Shopping for a fee.

10. Thanks From:

Convergence, some US some UK worldwide. I'll pm you as this isn't the right place.

12. Thanks From:

Oh hell no...
    I don't think merchants/AMs really get what its like for affiliates, SEO-wise.
    Google is very positive towards social media and any site which embraces social media AND content hits the peak.
    I have both.. it's no guarantee of anything anymore. Right now, an old price-comparison site is getting the love from G - it has no content, and hasn't been updated in 3 months. Go figure.

Going back to your original question/comment, this is an exceptionally tough time for affiliate sites. I think a lot of the smaller guys are throwing in the towel, or trying to monetize via AdSense.

14. Thanks From:

I don't think merchants/AMs really get what its like for affiliates, SEO-wise.
    I don't think most merchants/AMs can grasp the necessity of a properly prepared datafeed. If they can't do that - they have no business offering SEO advice.

IMhO opinion, of course...

16. Thanks From:

I agree.

Too many coupon sites, too many make a million dollars tomorrow sites, too many affiliates willing to cut corners and take the easy money. None of those I just mentioned are here on ABW because they don't care, so don't take offense.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    I treasure the fact that I've been an affiliate with SEO sites in the past, because it gave me the perspective of understanding what affiliates experience and how to treat them best. I know that some of my merchants have questioned my recommendations because they are different priorities than some have ever heard before, but I know that the best way to grow a merchant program is to treasure affiliates.

I know what teezone means about AM's not understanding - the scary part is that in some organizations, AM's are discouraged from ever running an affiliate site out of concerns for conflict of interest. While I would NEVER run a site that competes with my affiliates, I'm glad that I did it and learned that aspect of the business. I wish instead that all companies encouraged their newbie AM's to be an affiliate for a while at least just to see what it takes to do that job. They'd be better AM's for doing so!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Convergence, teezone to both many thanks for the private chat. With regard ensuring US specifics I have had a chat with one of the retailers with 2 sites (the gold iphones and the crocodile skin handbags) and they will introduce ip based automatic currency display so that US consumers and rest of the world (non EU/UK) will see USD when they land on site.

In addition because of the demographic they'll be looking come Q3 to roll out Arabic and Chinese language sites which will trigger by ip with an English alternative available.

Many thanks for the positive feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jupp View Post
    ... they will introduce ip based automatic currency display so that US consumers and rest of the world (non EU/UK) will see USD when they land on site.
    If I may: please make sure that images are also displayed in the proper country currency. Nothing is more frustrating than to visit a merchant's site, see the products in USD and the promotional images in Quid...

That's a good point and added to the to do list.

22. Thanks From:

teezone, Convergence.

Those two international sites I pm'd you now have USD and EUR as standard. I am liaising with Linkshare to get a USD feed done.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks for the update, John - keep me informed...

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread