Contextual ad tool
    Is this the right forum? I'm happy to be re-directed.

I am a first day newbie to AvantLink affilate marketing.
    But I am a retired programmer.

I have a large site with hundreds of pages plus a how-to-build-a-boat forum with approximately 15,000 archived posts from registered users.

I am only associated with one marketer for now. Once I get that working properly I'll apply for more affiliate associations.

Because I have so many pages (plus a decade of forum posts, since 1998) I have too many pages to configure individually. So I thought the contextual ad tool would be the way to go.

I filled out the form after logging in to my account. I set the result limit to 3. I used a website_id and merchant_id but no keywords. I did use a context_url (tried several different pages on my site).

I get the same non-specific merchant link three times over. So I tried adding comma delimeted search terms. Still same result. I must be missing something. Must be doing something wrong.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Don't know how AvantLink does it - but would guess that their ad bot would only crawl the page once every 24 hours or so to grab keywords on the page that match merchants you are approved for.

How long has it been?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Moved to AvantLink forum. Have you tried calling their support team, they are as good as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Don't know how AvantLink does it - but would guess that their ad bot would only crawl the page once every 24 hours or so to grab keywords on the page that match merchants you are approved for.

How long has it been?
    Ah. It's been about 45 minutes since my application was approved.
    Patience has never been one of my strong points.
    Thank you.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Thumbs up
    pittendrigh, Thanks for posting. Definitely email support@avantlink.com or open a ticket and our people will help you out.

I wanted to make one suggestion on this thread, although I am not sure if this is something that would be feasible or effective for you as I do not have the details on your forum/archives.

We have a tool called the Affiliate Link Encoder (ALE) that makes a domain/link or keyword match on a website, then converts KWs or existing direct store links to tracking links.

Below are a couple of informative articles on that, including a case study where Teton Gravity Research plugged in the ALE and instantly began monetizing forum archives via existing links to stores like Backcountry.com and REI.

The ALE is super simple to configure and install. Just a short line of javascript you can place on a site-wide element like your header, and the link conversion happens on the browser side.

Hope that helps!

Affiliate Marketing Case Study Ė ALE

Affiliate Strategy: Using The ALE With Old Content

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    pittendrigh, Just as I was submitting your question to our support team, I noticed that you had already emailed us and Andy had already gotten back to you.

In order to help others I am going to post the Q and A below..

--
    Question:
    Subject: ContextualAd returns same (not specific) result
    Priority: low
    Category: Tool questions (ad campaigns, API, datafeeds, widgets, ALE, etc.)

Problem: I just signed up. I have too many pages to configure individually so I thought contextual ad tool would be my best choice.

I'm only approved for NRS right now. When I use the ool I get the same top-level link to NRS many times over. I am using website_id, merchant_id and context_url. Yet I get the same result many times over.
    Answer:
    The contextual ad tool works by finding keywords on your site's page. When previewing the contextual ad tool you can see the contextual keyphrase analysis which shows the main phrases or keywords the tool is using. The contextual keyphrase analysis is pretty close to the same for each of your pages, so the same ads are returned. Also since you are in only one merchant program, there aren't very many ads for the contextual ad tool to search to return to you. Becoming part of more programs may give you different ad results.

Also there are some other tools that you can use that analyze the content of your site and return ads based on the content. I would suggest looking at the Product Ad Widget which has an option to do dynamic content/product matching based on the metadata of a page. You can take a look at the attached "photo" screenshot on how to set one of these content match Product Ad Widgets up.

Hope that helps.

7. Thanks From:

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread