Very strange visits from Google
    I have a section of my site that is image-heavy, and I know that G recently changed the layout of Google images (much to the detriment of website owners, you no longer need to visit the site to see the hotlinked image).

That aside, today there have been two "bursts" of activity that seem unusual, 80+ visit in one hour from the following:
    IP Address: Google Translate

The search terms have been a range - generic, specific and even the exact URL (which I find difficult to believe is a real search). I've seen something similar when I add my own posts to G+, but can't find a reason for 80+ visits.

It's ALL Google Translate, with slight changes in browser & country.

Anyone else see something similar..?
    Last edited by teezone; January 31st, 2013 at 01:57 PM.

You obviously didn't read my thread, it has nothing to do with real traffic.

When your site is visited by a Google ISP, it's generally NOT called traffic.

This is a free forum, so you can post where ever you like, but you may want to keep generic one-liners to a minimum, they don't add value or help with the discussion.

4. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    What was the IP? Did it have 125 in the second set of numbers?

The 125 is the IP they use for the preview function in the SERPs. Don't remember what they use when someone is trying to translate your page (usually to scrape it)...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

ABW Ambassador
    teezone - I've been reviewing stats the last couple of days and haven't noticed any IP Address with Google Translate listed. Thanks for posting, I'll be watchful and see if I can spot them visiting any of my websites.

Yes, they all have 125 in the IP, which indicates Google Translate.

You get the same hit when you share a link in G+ (a hit to the URL, and random keyword combination).

everyone acts like the newbie is the black sheep and every mistake he makes is the greatest taboo in the world
    That's your interpretation.. we were all newbies at one time.

These threads are classified by topic, and the only discussion in this thread should be about the ISP hit I mentioned. A casual comment like "traffic is good" is off-topic, and doesn't help.

If you have some expertise you want to share, feel free to participate in those threads, your contribution will be welcomed.

9. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Yes, they all have 125 in the IP, which indicates Google Translate.
    Also, page preview (when someone mouses over the preview link)

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    You get the same hit when you share a link in G+ (a hit to the URL, and random keyword combination).
    Ahh, G+ - that's one of those products from the Google, right? Don't use that one.

Wonder if the Google is "translating" G+ links instantly for other languages to "enjoy" - or are other countries monitoring new G+ links and instantly viewing them?

I think i had (and maybe still have) a similar problem and still can't figure out whats happening.
    In my case, i woke up one day to notice a huge surge of clicks which i found unusual. In most cases, it'll be something like...pageviews 20....clicks 60+. I was alarmed.
    After searching for answers, i eventually sent off the invalid click contact form to google, removed the affected sites from the "allow sites" list, and shut down my google ads on my sites.
    In terms of IP address of the perpetrator(s), i found more that 1 IP address with like 20+ clicks in the spate of 1 minute. And ALL from the U.S., from high-end phone devices.
    But i couldn't figure out the location in terms of region though. How do i achieve this?
    I forgot to mention that i have a good number of images too.

I still need to find out what happened. I wrote to the builder/designer of my website theme about this. No reply yet from him.
    BTW

Quote Originally Posted by viryabo View Post
    In terms of IP address of the perpetrator(s), i found more that 1 IP address with like 20+ clicks in the spate of 1 minute. And ALL from the U.S., from high-end phone devices.
    Seeing a bit of this from mobile devices. This is what I THINK is happening.

Visitor comes in and either sits on a page or bookmarks the page and the phone is 'refreshing' that visit/bookmark.

As I said, only thing I can think of...

13. Thanks From:

I thought (still think, i guess) i was being click bombed. I didn't even realise mobile devices are prone to this kind of thing. But its hard to explain my clicks going up overnight by 4-500% and persistently for a few days before i was able to figure out what to do.

It was a good learning experience, i must admit.

Which brings me to why im here at ABestWeb. Trying to brush up on affiliate marketing and become less dependent on google.
    Must spread my eggs.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread