Question Newbie Questions
    Hi all. This is an amazing active forum. Ive been reading in here for two days and I have really learnt a lot.
    I got answers to lots of my questions but I still have few which I think are naive for most of you:

1- I'm trying to start my first affiliate website. I've been working on the design for a while using wordpress. I know I can only be accepted by an affiliate network once the website is online. I'm planning to have a software download website, where the users can download/buy software. So the content of the website is mainly from affiliate networks. Is this allowed, or the content from affiliate networks must not be the main content of my website?

2- To laucnh the website, I will be adding different software titles with links to download them and/or buy them with links leading to the software's developers website. And then I will apply for an affiliate network. Is there and steps I must follow to ensure that I get accepted?

3- If hopefully I get accepted, can you please explain to me the whole concept of the datafeed file. I have been reading too much which made a bi confused about this whole issue.

4- Saying I know a bit of PHP and mySQL, is it easy to develop a solution that will automatically update the website content according to the datafeed file? Or the proccess must include hard manual effor every time the datafeed file is updated?

Advises and suggestions are most welcome and very appreciated.

I know some of questions might have been already answered in this forum, so any links would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kassemEzz View Post
    1- I'm planning to have a software download website, where the users can download/buy software. So the content of the website is mainly from affiliate networks. Is this allowed, or the content from affiliate networks must not be the main content of my website?
    Unless you have actual software to download, this won't work. Affiliate's MARKET other merchant's products and services. Your job as an affiliate is to send qualified traffic to the merchant's website so your visitor can purchase their goods/services.

2- To laucnh the website, I will be adding different software titles with links to download them and/or buy them with links leading to the software's developers website. And then I will apply for an affiliate network. Is there and steps I must follow to ensure that I get accepted?
    You're putting the cart before the horse.

You need to be approved by a network, then merchants, then you add links to the merchants.

3- If hopefully I get accepted, can you please explain to me the whole concept of the datafeed file. I have been reading too much which made a bi confused about this whole issue.
    Datafeeds contain a merchant's catalog. They have image links, buy links, descriptions (well most), etc.

Some affiliates download them to get specific product links. Some populate their entire site with them.

4- Saying I know a bit of PHP and mySQL, is it easy to develop a solution that will automatically update the website content according to the datafeed file? Or the proccess must include hard manual effor every time the datafeed file is updated?
    "Easy" is relevant - what is easy for one may not be for another...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

1- I'm trying to start my first affiliate website. I've been working on the design for a while using wordpress. I'm planning to have a software download website ... So the content of the website is mainly from affiliate networks. Is this allowed, or the content from affiliate networks must not be the main content of my website?
    Your own content is very important. If you are using a Wordpress blog, focus first on a type of software. Look at what other affiliates are doing with selling software by googling a type of software that you might like to sell.
    Affiliate sites will come up & take a look for inspiration but not to copy.
    You have to think of what value you can give a software download site.
    Keep in mind there's a lot of competition out there.

Don't take links from existing sites merchants or otherwise to create your site prior to the acceptance from affiliate merchants.
    Instead create your site as it would be & could be except you're missing
    the affiliate links.
    If an affiliate manager viewing your site sees a potential plan you have a chance to be accepted into the program.

4- Saying I know a bit of PHP and mySQL, is it easy to develop a solution that will automatically update the website content according to the datafeed file? Or the proccess must include hard manual effort every time the datafeed file is updated?
    Check out & ask your technical questions here:
    Programming / Datafeeds / Tools - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum

Congratulations, you sound as if you have a plan. Good luck
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

kassemEzz, if you are starting from scratch, you might just want to build
    a general site that states some basic goals for the Affiliate Manager to
    see. Then once you get approved for programs you can use affiliate links
    in your main site and take the general one down.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

It is difficult to understand how it all works when starting out. for example some merchants or vendors at Commission Junction may accept or deny you application to join their program. Website relevance and or sales seems to be important to merchants in my experience. Some give instant approval.

Stay focused on only applying to merchants closely related to your website niche. Merchants like to see a quality site. Having your own website will carry more weight in the search engines too if you have applied basic SEO.

You need to add your own relevant, unique content if you want the search engines to like your site and get your website's pages indexed. Duplicate content is OUT!

Whatever you do, don't go adding raw affiliate links into your content and don't add banner ads at the top of your site (above the fold) Latest Google updates have come down hard on many sites doing this. Not surprising really...don't we all hate it when we land on a site and are bombarded with banner ads in our face!!

WordPress is a good choice, I love using it.
    Good luck and just keep asking questions, these forums are great!
    Regards
    Catherine

Thank you all for the extra helpful information and advises. Sorry I'm late to reply.

From all your answers, I think I have formed a general idea of what my next step should be.

I'm going to put my site online. It will contain software and links to download/buy the software. Of course these links will not be affiliate links as I'm not yet accepted by the merchants nor any network. They will be just direct links. Then I will apply for networks and then merchants.

So far this sounds logical to me...
    Suggestions and ideas are most welcome

Thank you all

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread