Duplicate content over multiple TLDs
    I've done a bit of research, but wanted to check my findings with you guys and I'd love to hear your experiences.

I'd like to target the US (with and the UK (with I think I am right in saying that google will not penalise me for duplicate content? I think I'll have about 80% duplication across the two sites. BTW, in Webmaster Configuration, I've set to target users in the US and is automatically set to target users in the UK.

I found this on google:

"Websites that provide content for different regions and in different languages sometimes create content that is the same or similar but available on different URLs. This is generally not a problem as long as the content is for different users in different countries. While we strongly recommend that you provide unique content for each different group of users, we understand that this may not always be possible. "

Many thanks :-)

Affiliate Manager
    "While we strongly recommend that you provide unique content for each different group of users,"

RED FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah yes, good point well made!

Apologies for not replying sooner, but it's been a manic week

I found many brands having same content for their different TLDs and they are doing great in respective search engines.

Check these two pages:

Both pages have same content and ranks well on "ssl certificate" keywords in respective country. ( and

What i suggest is:

There is no harm in placing moderately similar content on different TLDs by considering USERS of each country. It is not feasible to write different content about your product (especially features, specifications) for each country you are targeting. Here, currency, locations and few words will be different from country to country (like US English will be different from UK English).

I hope it will helps !

Neenah, WI
    See what god has to say about it: Is the same content posted under different TLDs a problem? - YouTube
    Sounds to me like you'll be OK doing it the way you've outlined in your original post.

Very interesting! Thanks to all those who contributed :-) I'll go with my original idea as the duplicate content is not something I can avoid altogether, unfortunately. I'll let you know if google throws a hissy fit!

7. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread