Lucy
    How to recruit affiliates with no budget?
    Hi!

The company I work for is still new in the affiliate program, so it is very basic. I want to make the affiliate program grow, and I would like to know what tools or techniques to use.

I've been using similarsites.com and keywords in google, but it is very slow. Does anyone have some ideas?

Thank you for sharing!

No offense, but I would be leery of joining a program that has no budget.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

do you have the money to -pay- the affiliates?
    The internet is a fad.

4. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    No offense, but I would be leery of joining a program that has no budget.
    "NO BUDGET": Kaizen, you're being too nice. I do take offense. A merchant with such insufficient capitalization like that is NOT TO BE TRUSTED to be fair with its affiliates. First, they will start lowering commissions, then they will be constantly deactivated & reactivated if on CJ or other networks that have that procedure, or go back and forth offline if on SAS, and eventually they will be shut down, owing affiliates and/or networks a bundle.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

6. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Lucy, perhaps you should read the forum for a while then come back and tell us what you have learned.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    "NO BUDGET": Kaizen, you're being too nice. I do take offense. A merchant with such insufficient capitalization like that is NOT TO BE TRUSTED to be fair with its affiliates. First, they will start lowering commissions, then they will be constantly deactivated & reactivated if on CJ or other networks that have that procedure, or go back and forth offline if on SAS, and eventually they will be shut down, owing affiliates and/or networks a bundle.
    I see where you're coming from but maybe the issue is lack of a recruiting budget and not a lack of budget for commissions and operation of the affiliate program itself.

OPM and network recruiting fees can get pretty hefty and I could see how a small/medium size merchant would have trouble justifying a $10K (more or less depending who you use) spend on solely recruiting.

Keep in mind recruiting fees don't come with any kind of sales or activation guarantees normally so a small merchant is taking a pretty big leap of faith when they enter in those agreements.

Getting to your point Lucy - I think you just need to roll up your sleeves and do it the old fashioned way. It takes a lot of time and effort but believe me it will pay off in the long run.

A great benefit of the slow method is you really get to learn your affiliates and industry more. You'll see all kinds of things in search results, on affiliates websites, etc. that will improve their sites (and yours in some cases) and help increase your affiliates commissions and overall sales. You can't buy that kind of knowledge with a quick and easy tool.

Affiliates get hassled all the time so be conscience of that when sending your recruiting communications. Get right to your selling points - how can you increase their income, how are you different from the competition, etc., etc., etc.

As AffiliateHound points out, affiliates have been burned so many times they're a jaded bunch - can't say I don't blame them. DO NOT make promises you can't keep and be sure you have your program set up for success before you start recruiting. If you can't afford 20% commissions, don't start there and then drop them - it's better to go up then down.

Best of luck to you.

Bob

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Bob, good stuff! Lucy however asked to have her account deleted this morning so is no longer in the conversation.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Bob, good stuff! Lucy however asked to have her account deleted this morning so is no longer in the conversation.
    That's a shame. Hopefully she'll stick around to lurk and learn.

Bob

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    ... and the mysteries of a dolphinarium affiliate program will remain so.....
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

12. Thanks From:

13. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread