Agency supplied stats
    Today I am at my wits end. I have been affiliate marketing for several years now, without success. I have made sales, but not enough to cover my costs and certainly nowhere near enough to cover the time and effort that I have put into it.

I have bought and followed numerous courses and still don't get the traffic or sales that are claimed, even in the modest courses.

The thing that really makes me feel like quitting today is that, having checked my figures, I find that one sale that I know took place from one of my sites this week has not been credited to me. This is the 3rd time this has happened to me, from 3 different affiliate agencies. I have queried the figures with them and they either do not respond, or keep asking for so much detail or make it so time consuming that it is not worthwhile for the small amounts involved.

Does anyone have any experience with this or any suggestions as to what course of action I should take?

I also doubt the figures of some of the other agencies that I deal with. I have sent thousands of clicks through to some of them, in more than one case over 10,000 for no sales. Am I wasting my time on what is essentially a dishonest industry?

Best regards

Max

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I also doubt the figures of some of the other agencies that I deal with. I have sent thousands of clicks through to some of them, in more than one case over 10,000 for no sales. Am I wasting my time on what is essentially a dishonest industry?
    No you are wasting your time with agencies that don't care about you, try finding one that is responsive. We just went through and contacted affiliates for several merchants who are sending clicks with no sales. Does neither of us any good an wastes both of our time.

I might be missing something, but what are "agencies"..?

On my own site, I have relationships with merchants via affiliate networks. Are we talking about an intermediary here, ie. sub-affiliate?

Maxp, welcome to ABW - you will find some helpful information here. For free!

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    I run an "agency". This can either be a full digital services provider or a company that just supplies outsourced affiliate program management. In my case, my firm supplies site build, some 3rd party lead generation, PPC, affiliate management, 3rd party SEO audits, minisites production, 3rd party social media activity.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

He's not talking about us as agencies. He's got to be talking about networks. If he sent 10,000 clicks, he's going through cpa or contextual ad networks. Or it's MLM type of stuff.

He did say he's bought numerous courses. Sounds like CPA to me.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

6. Thanks From:

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Outside the US, OPMs are called agencies - that may be the case as well.

Before buying any more courses, make sure that the person who created the course is still successful today as an affiliate, not just a course salesman. I've seen far too many who had one good month or season, then turned it into a program they couldn't wait to start selling. If the date on the big check they're holding isn't from last month, think before you buy.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

8. Thanks From:

Thanks guys for your input.

First of all I should clear up that I am talking about affiliate networks, mostly the big ones, but some are smaller and some are individual vendors who sell through affiliates. I thought that the term agencies would cover all. I'm sorry if it caused confusion.

Chuck, I am willing to look into your set up and will take a look at your forum right away.

John, the same

JCrooks - I have pretty much given up on buying any more courses now, as they pretty much all say the same thing and as you say, most are written by people with no record of success at all. Which is why I am not willing to get into the "make money online" market, as it seems to be the biggest scam. It's obviously an ever decreasing spiral with everyone telling everyone else how to make money on line?

The markets I have developed sites for include TV, Sports, Music, Health and gifts.

10. Thanks From:

Glad we sorted out the wording.. back to the issue at hand now.

Small amounts are always worth chasing down as they are an indication of tracking..

Have you tried a test purchase from your own site..? If not, I would recommend you buy something small yourself (or ask a friend or family member). If it doesn't track, you need to jump on the network, find out why...

Also, it does sound like you're taking a very broad approach, which doesn't usually work in affiliate marketing - you have to ask yourself if you are an expert in ALL of those fields you mentioned. For example, is "TV" specific to crime shows..? A good publisher would be blogging about the latest episode of CSI - or reviewing the new Kevin Bacon show. Health.. do you have a medical background, or specific knowledge of fitness.. or want to tell your own "get fit" story..?

The above are just examples of what I would consider an affiliate site. None of us will ever be able to replicate Amazon, so the "mall" approach is futile - unless, of course, you're an exceptional developer and have designed some new & unique shopping tool.

I hope the above helps - it sounds like you just need to narrow down the field into a manageable list of topics you can grow with.

12. Thanks From:

Good advice from teezone! Making money online is not a scam, it's actually a field full of unlimited success, based on what you're willing to do. It sounds like you are willing to put in the work, but you've been following the wrong people in your search for how to accomplish the goal.

I suspect you did try to make a test purchase, which is how you knew that the sale didn't track. Two things could have happened here - 1) you used a computer which already contained a cookie within it's validation period, so your sale was credited to someone else, or 2) your cookie was overwritten by someone else, either legitimately or through an improper medthod. Either way, it is still definitely worth your time to find out what happened - then you can either change merchants or change networks depending on who isn't helping you. There are so many merchant programs available in every vertical, don't work with someone who won't work with you, when you can always find someone who will!

The other thing I'm wondering about is your reference of sending 10,000 clicks without a single conversion. Makes me wonder about the quality of the click. Was it PPV? That quality traditionally is horrible for all of our programs - it isn't permitted within Affiliate Window, and we do everything possible to always weed it out. If it was through PPC, then you need to be in a better environment for the traffic - it's easy to generate tons of clicks, but much more difficult to generate quality clicks. I got burned on that as a newbie too. If the clicks came through content, then there's something wrong with the tracking on one side or the other, and that should be fixable.

Pick one topic, work on it until you make it work, then duplicate what works for you into other verticals.

And we're always here to help you with questions!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Thanks again for your input guys.

Teezone – I have tried chasing down the small amounts, but as I said earlier the affiliate networks seemed to make it purposely difficult for me to do so. I discovered the problems of not receiving the credits, by both making purchases myself and having a friend make a purchase. I suppose the short answer is to stop dealing with those networks.

I believe that I have enough background in the subjects that my sites cover. For example one of the health sites relates to the treatment of sciatica which I suffered with myself for many years, so I have my own story to tell.

I am fairly confident of the content and quality of my sites when I compare them to what else I find out there. I believe that my main problems are attracting enough traffic and being sure that when I do make a sale that I receive the credit for it.

JCrooks – I am very confident that the sales that I am talking about were not made from a computer with an existing cookie or legitimately overwritten. Once again I think that the answer is to stop dealing with those networks.

Most of the advertising on my sites is pay per sale with some pay per action. The problems that I refer to have been in both types.

I received your private message and I will certainly look into that today. Sorry, being a newbie here I haven’t yet worked out how to reply privately.

Once again, your input is much appreciated.

How are you attracting traffic to your sites?

I'm using mainly SEO and Social Media Marketing

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxP View Post
    I'm using mainly SEO and Social Media Marketing
    Any direct linking to merchants?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    No, I'm not really sure what you mean by that.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    OK I've looked it up. No, that does not fit in with my vision for my business.

I'm a little puzzled by your response to my comments - first of all, if you have specific transaction details, there's no reason the network should fail to respond. You have to stay on it..

And while you definitely have solid info re: health (personal experience, etc), I don't know how you can also be an expert on TV, sports, gifts AND music. I cover two niches on two domains, and I do this full-time... are you blogging, adding fresh content.. or did the courses cover "landing pages" as a strategy..? You mention traffic - are you updating the sites on a regular basis..? We all think our sites are the best they can be, but if you think you should be generating more traffic, there is always room for improvement, even if it's SEO-related.

As for the transactions, I had my own denied once (by a merchant on LS), and stayed on it like a pitbull for months - told them I had proof of cookie, etc. They finally relented and apologized for the tracking error, needless to say I stopped promoting the merchant altogether. If you've had this happen more than once, you need to talk to network reps to verify the tracking.. clicks & sales.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread