Affiliate Manager
    Robots question?
    Open question about a meta tag.

<meta name="robots" content="index, follow" />

Merchants or publishers who create pages, do you use index & follow? And what circumstance use "no index, no follow?"

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    By general rule of thumb ALL pages are automatically "index, follow" - adding a meta tag for them is actually not necessary. However, it's such an old habit the majority of webmasters still do.

We use a combination depending on the page.

"noindex, nofollow" on all contact pages.
    "noindex, follow" on some category, some merchant, and some brand pages.

Have even tested "nocache" - for pages we don't want previews/cached history.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    What is your opinion on sale pages? I recently had a conversation with one of our IT guys. Marketing opinion vs. IT opinion... My (non-IT opinion) was to index/follow all promo pages, short (like a weekend President's Day Sale) or long (month +) - his - no index/no follow. I thought maybe it would be okay not on the short ones, but should be on the longer ones.
    Your thought?

I would look into using "nocache" for those pages.

If a user clicks on a link from the SERPs, and the page is no longer there - that's no problem - just redirect them to a current promotion.

However, if the user views the cached page, then they can still see what was there...

I think alternative you can do it from web master tool. You can removal request of non-existing pages or dead pages. I suggest to de-index the page and redirect it to updated page. Generally I don't use nofollow / noindex as i only include pages which are important.

Marketing Manager
    @JohnK@ifurn: If your sales are recurring (i.e. you have a President's day sale every year) I would keep a page live for it all year long, indexed with links followed. During the off-season for the promotion, add some placeholder text that says something like, "We have a great President's Day sale every year. If you would like to receive notifications about our sales, enter your email address here." Of course, this assumes that you want the entire world to know about your sale. If it's for a limited audience, I would noindex the page so people won't find it via search engines.

I'm not sure when I would noindex, follow a page. In general, if a page isn't meant for search engines to serve as a result, they won't think much of the links on it either. Maybe someone else can give a good example of when you would not want a page to be indexed but you would want the links followed.

8. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Grimm View Post
    I'm not sure when I would noindex, follow a page. In general, if a page isn't meant for search engines to serve as a result, they won't think much of the links on it either. Maybe someone else can give a good example of when you would not want a page to be indexed but you would want the links followed.
    We have merchant info pages and some merchants do not what those pages indexed as they risk losing out in the SEO battle. However, the bots need to access product links...

Marketing Manager
    I see, so the page ranks too high for the Merchant's brand name?

I use "noindex, follow" if there is duplicate content - for example, on CMS category pages..

This is to ensure the article itself receives the higher ranking.

12. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Grimm View Post
    I see, so the page ranks too high for the Merchant's brand name?
    That's THEIR fear...

Marketing Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    That's THEIR fear...
    I hear you. I would want as many neutral and positive pages in existence as possible. It crowds out the negative pages. Although I'm pretty confident that I can rank #1 for my brand name no matter what.

15. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread