Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager lehmannresearch's Avatar
    Getting nothing but coupon affiliates!?!
    I'm brand new to the forum and joined because I really need some help.

I registered with ShareaSale.com as a merchant about six months ago and so far, the only requests I get for affiliates are those running coupon or discount sites! The problem I see with them is, they aren't bringing in new business. It's basically taking people who were already interested in my product to begin with and just profiting off of their interest.

Most articles that I read say that coupon affiliates can be a death trap for a good program to get off the ground.

I need some tips on locating better affiliates. Is this a matter of contacting webmasters directly and encourage them to visit my ShareaSale.com page? I really have no idea who to write or how to approach them because I'm sure they get bombarded with offers.

As of today, I am offering a 40% commission rate for all sales and 30 day cookies. Plus, on my own website, I have a toll-free phone number, live chat, and even give Free FedEx shipping on all orders, things that I think would attract a number of quality affiliates. Unfortunately, they aren't showing up.

My next closest merchant to me on ShareaSale.com is offering 35% commission a a 1 day cookie. Side-by-side, I think my program looks good.

It's just strange because my average sale is $260 on the site but my average through Shareasale.com is much lower. I think the type of affiliates I get are just not bringing in the level of traffic I need. I was hoping at 40%, that would not be the case.

Thanks.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lehmannresearch View Post
    Plus, on my own website, I have a toll-free phone number, live chat, and even give Free FedEx shipping on all orders, things that I think would attract a number of quality affiliates. Unfortunately, they aren't showing up.
    Do you track/credit AFFILIATE sales from these two channels?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Let's start with the fact that you sell penis pills and that narrows the types of affiliates that will work with you down to a small percentage. Your product is not a well known brand so that limits awareness. Here are some other glaring details from the affiliate perspective before they join your program.

1. You do not have auto deposit set
    2. You do not have a datafeed
    3. You have no sales within the last 7 days
    4. Your average sale is only $93 from affiliates, not $260
    5. Your banners are not standard sizes
    6. You have no deals in the database
    7. You have never sent a newsletter
    8. No where in your description do you mention what your conversion is overall

Conversion trumps commission. Prove to affiliates they will make money promoting your product.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

4. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Do you track/credit AFFILIATE sales from these two channels?
    Yes, I do. I have the tracking code setup in the checkout of my shopping cart. When somebody reaches the "Thank you for your order" page, it triggers it.

I have gotten a few sales, all from coupon sites.

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    Let's start with the fact that you sell penis pills and that narrows the types of affiliates that will work with you down to a small percentage. Your product is not a well known brand so that limits awareness. Here are some other glaring details from the affiliate perspective before they join your program.

1. You do not have auto deposit set
    2. You do not have a datafeed
    3. You have no sales within the last 7 days
    4. Your average sale is only $93 from affiliates, not $260
    5. Your banners are not standard sizes
    6. You have no deals in the database
    7. You have never sent a newsletter
    8. No where in your description do you mention what your conversion is overall

Conversion trumps commission. Prove to affiliates they will make money promoting your product.
    akagorilla,

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I was not aware of the data-field and auto deposit being off. I will correct those asap. As far as the average sales go, the average sale on my own site is in fact $260. The sales that I'm getting from affiliates on ShareaSale.com is $93. That may be misleading but that is why I dumped my commission rate from 10% to 40% in the past two weeks, to try and land better affiliates.

This says nothing about. Toll free number tracking and live chat tracking.
    Affiliates look @ those also.
    And also if those are disabled on an affiliate link click.
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

8. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lawrence View Post
    I had no idea that you could set that up with ShareaSale.com.

Yes, I do. I have the tracking code setup in the checkout of my shopping cart. When somebody reaches the "Thank you for your order" page, it triggers it.
    Mr. Bob has clarified my statement above.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lawrence View Post
    And I will further:

Affiliate sends traffic. Visitor is on your site and starts a chat. Can the chat operator take an order, and if so, does the affiliate get credit?

Same goes for the toll-free number...

I had no idea that you could set that up with ShareaSale.com.
    You can encode your site to pick up the affiliate referrer. When a visitor comes in from an affiliate link a "code" (affiliate ID) is displayed on your site. The phone operator has to ask for that code when taking an order and you have to credit the sale to the affiliate.

Same goes with orders placed over chat. If your live chat can live monitor the page the visitor is on, they can see the code.

As for the product you're promoting - very small niche. FTC/FDA rules can make it risky to promote. Other merchants may not allow their products to be marketed on the same site that markets your type of product. If an affiliate has a retail site and is monetizing that site with your product, they have to be careful with their payment processors, ie: PayPal because there are payment processors that do not allow promotion of such items.

Your PPC affiliates can't promote your items on many PPC platforms as well.

Small niche, very small...

Mr. Bob has clarified my statement above.

And I will further:

Affiliate sends traffic. Visitor is on your site and starts a chat. Can the chat operator take an order, and if so, does the affiliate get credit?

Same goes for the toll-free number...
    Right now, the chat rep and phone rep just answer questions. All sales are made through the cart itself.

I may look into taking phone orders but avoid doing so now.

If an affiliate has a retail site and is monetizing that site with your product, they have to be careful with their payment processors, ie: PayPal because there are payment processors that do not allow promotion of such items.
    I never heard of Paypal not allowing an item such as ours. One of our biggest competitors takes PayPal.

[*]Your banners are not standard sizes
    What do you consider "standard sizes"?

I never heard of Paypal not allowing an item such as ours. One of our biggest competitors takes PayPal.
    Then they have a very low problem with PayPal or have made concessions with them.

Trust me on this one, in one of our other businesses PayPal terminated a few of our customers for promoting "adult vitamins" on their site. Have been in the adult industry for over a decade (and we do NOT promote said items)...

What do you consider "standard sizes"?
    Lots of discussion on ABW about what banner sizes affiliates use and want...

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/midni...rs-161265.html

17. Thanks From:

Then they have a very low problem with PayPal or have made concessions with them.

Trust me on this one, in one of our other businesses PayPal terminated a few of our customers for promoting "adult vitamins" on their site. Have been in the adult industry for over a decade (and we do NOT promote said items)...
    I will have to look into this. I just read over PayPal's list of rules and regulations and see things against selling pharmacy drugs but nothing against dietary supplements.

I'm sure they don't like "false advertising" and many supplements out there do falsely advertise their own product but that's another issue in of itself.

As far as "adult vitamins", that's a pretty vague description.

As far as "adult vitamins", that's a pretty vague description.
    Was being so on purpose. Greg already mentioned what you are selling.

Let's start with the fact that you sell penis pills
    Have to have some tact - that's why "adult" items are placed in "Health and Beauty" categories, lol...

20. Thanks From:

I will have to look into this. I just read over PayPal's list of rules and regulations and see things against selling pharmacy drugs but nothing against dietary supplements.
    Look into it. As I mentioned, been in the adult side of things for over a decade. I just may know something...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Most articles that I read say that coupon affiliates can be a death trap for a good program to get off the ground.
    The right coupon sites are advertisers for your product and have huge organic reach. Narrow down the list and optimize the ones that are bringing you clicks.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    are you seeking out targeted affiliates on your own? If you sit back and only take the affiliates that come through the network sign ups, you're going to get a lot of coupon/deal sites as these guys tend to sign up for every new program that activates pretty quickly.

If you don't want to rely on coupon affiliates, you or your affiliate manager will have to do some work on your end and seek out the content sites or the PPC affiliates who either have your targeted traffic, or are currently promoting competitors offers.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    If you don't want to rely on coupon affiliates, you or your affiliate manager will have to do some work on your end and seek out the content sites or the PPC affiliates who either have your targeted traffic, or are currently promoting competitors offers.
    That's one of the many things that I hope to learn here. I'm looking for great ways to market my program to webmasters and others willing to join.

Being that the product is in such an usual niche, it's difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    The right coupon sites are advertisers for your product and have huge organic reach. Narrow down the list and optimize the ones that are bringing you clicks.
    The majority of coupon sites that have requested to join my program, all target customers through their site by using keywords like "product-x deals" or "product-x coupon" or "product-x save". They aren't promoting my product and getting the word out on it which is what I feel affiliates should do. Instead they are profiting off interesting in a product that my customers already have.

If their coupon site is a popular one and they want to include my product on the homepage as the "deal of the day", that's something else altogether.

They aren't promoting my product and getting the word out on it which is what I feel affiliates should do. Instead they are profiting off interesting in a product that my customers already have.
    Then did you boot them from your program?

Then did you boot them from your program?
    I figured something is better than nothing, so I created a group for coupon sites that only gives 5% commission of the total sale.

Any other site that actually promotes my product and drives traffic to me and generates a sale is getting 40%!! I feel that is more than generous, but I can't let it be abused which is why I created groups.

28. Thanks From:

I figured something is better than nothing, so I created a group for coupon sites that only gives 5% commission of the total sale.
    That's not uncommon and done as a cost to close the sale. Many consumers will not buy unless they get a discount.

Are you offering discounts?

That's not uncommon and done as a cost to close the sale. Many consumers will not buy unless they get a discount.

Are you offering discounts?
    I do have discounts through my shopping cart, but I have not set up any with ShareaSale.com. Do you recommend certain ones like 10% off or 20% off? I'm sort of debating about how much to give because it eats into my bottomline.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast