Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Links' Redirect via Plugin - Can It Cause Deindexation
    Hi,

One of my sites got deindexed and the only 3 reasons I can think of are following:
    1) Redirect of each CJ affiliate link (these links are pretty long) via Wpnoexternallinks to @mydomain@com/Original_affiliate_link.
    2) Around 10% if content of my site (50 of each 500 word article) is "stock" content from merchant's site.
    3) The first thing in each post of mine is an image that is linked to merchant sites via an affiliate link.

What is the cause in your opinion. Everything else is fine, like links, content quality etc.

When you say deindexed, do you mean it's completely gone when you search for "site:yourdomain.com"..? That would indicate a harsher penalty than just the issues you mentioned above.

However, it's just a loss in rankings, you could address #1 - are those links set to "rel=nofollow"..? And re: #3 - you have to look at the whole page - the image & affiliate link should be moved down if they are causing an "above the fold" issue (they are considered advertising). I have the same on some of my content pages, but only one banner in the page header.

Are there any messages in Google WMT that might indicate a bigger problem..?

3. Thanks From:

Yes it is completely deindexed - there is nothing shown when I type: site:domain.com. I got a message from Google - it says I have violated Google quality guidelines.

However I do not share their opinion. I had up to 20 affiliate links per page I feel this may have been the problem.

Regarding ads above the fold, do you think "float" trick (using in css float:left). Then ads is gonna be displayed first on the page, but not first in the code).

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoki View Post
    Yes it is completely deindexed - there is nothing shown when I type: site:domain.com. I got a message from Google - it says I have violated Google quality guidelines.
    You've done something more than using a jump script on affiliate links.

However I do not share their opinion. I had up to 20 affiliate links per page I feel this may have been the problem.
    Unfortunately, the Google's opinion is all that matters in this case. Again, there is something else going on to get completely removed from the SERPs.

Regarding ads above the fold, do you think "float" trick (using in css float:left). Then ads is gonna be displayed first on the page, but not first in the code).
    Tricks will get you in trouble...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

6. Thanks From:

Got it. Do you think it is a result of a manual or an automated review? This is a very important question.

I know for a fact that some affiliate sites with awesome content in mainstream niches were removed from serps because of complaints made by big sites that have influence on Google.

Regarding tricks ok, but what about this particular trick? It is widely used.

Agree with Convergence, this is more than just the items you listed.

As for CSS tricks, Google knows what impact 'float:left' has on the display, as well as 'display:none' (that trick could incur a penalty, but not complete deindexation). CSS tricks might be widely used, but your domain reputation has suffered - it's time to clean everything up before submitting a reconsideration request.

What G deems 'Quality' is a sweeping term - sneaky redirects, hidden text designed to manipulate, and even link exchanges. You need to look at your overall practice... for example, have you hired someone for link-building, listed your site on some exchange service, etc..?

9. Thanks From:

Then it is a competitor (probably a brand) for sure. They may not like to be outranked. Yet, this probably happens to the most sites in this niche. Deindexing without a real reason. But we will see when I put a bit different version of the site back online.

This time I will change titles on category pages, so I won't rank fro brand keywords (brand + product_type) so no brand is gonna complain.

Got it. Do you think it is a result of a manual or an automated review? This is a very important question.
    Don't know. I imagine something triggered an alert and then there was a manual review. Just a guess, though.

I know for a fact that some affiliate sites with awesome content in mainstream niches were removed from serps because of complaints made by big sites that have influence on Google.
    Hmmm. Have never heard that. Usually the merchant simply ends their relationship with the affiliate for any TOS violations...

Then it is a competitor for sure. This probably happens to the most sites in this niche. Deindexing without a real reason.
    Again, never heard of that happening either.

But we will see when I put a bit different version of the site back online.
    Do that often?...

2) Around 10% if content of my site (50 of each 500 word article) is "stock" content from merchant's site.
    Are you saying you copied text verbatim from the merchant websites?

Then it is a competitor for sure.
    Don't be ridiculous... something is wrong with your site/domain.

Even if a competitor submitted a spam report, your site would be reviewed before G took action.. and a suspicious link exchange would have generated a warning notice before being deindexed.

You have to look at your own site - templates & plugins can sometimes contain hidden backlinks, or manipulative keyword text. Or have you used any third party ranking software..??

In the 5+ years I've been doing this, I've had all sorts of ranking issues, but never a complete deindex of a domain. If you don't find the root of the problem, relaunching your site may not help.

Yes but just about 10% of all text is product description from merchant site.

Yes but just about 10% of all text is product description from merchant site.
    We use merchant feeds, sometimes the product descriptions are the same as the merchant's website, sometimes not.

Did you have permission from the merchant?

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Don't be ridiculous... something is wrong with your site/domain.

Even if a competitor submitted a spam report, your site would be reviewed before G took action.. and a suspicious link exchange would have generated a warning notice before being deindexed.

You have to look at your own site - templates & plugins can sometimes contact hidden backlinks, or manipulative keyword text. Or have you used any third party ranking software..??

In the 5+ years I've been doing this, I've had all sorts of ranking issues, but never a complete deindex of a domain. If you don't find the root of the problem, relaunching your site may not help.
    This is first time in 3 years to have a domain deindexed. All i can do is take a conclusion from all the response i get relaunch the site, and see will it happen again.

Actually I know for sure that in some mainstream niches big sites have advantages and can manipulate rankings this way. So some sites with awesome content belonging to a friend of mine were ruined.

Why not post your site in the review forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    We use merchant feeds, sometimes the product descriptions are the same as the merchant's website, sometimes not.

Did you have permission from the merchant?
    Sure the description comes from a datafeed/api.

Don't know. I imagine something triggered an alert and then there was a manual review. Just a guess, though.

Hmmm. Have never heard that. Usually the merchant simply ends their relationship with the affiliate for any TOS violations...
    When I say big sites I do not think merchant site. Maybe other merchants because I do not drive traffic to their sites.

Sure the description comes from a datafeed/api.
    Then that is not a problem...

Why not post your site in the review forum?
    Google's review forum? I usually do not reveal keyword nor urls especially to Google.

Google's review forum? I usually do not reveal keyword nor urls especially to Google.
    No, on ABW...

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/site-...er-review-146/

23. Thanks From:

I forgot that I deleted it. Maybe the next version.

some sites with awesome content belonging to a friend of mine were ruined
    And how do you know a brand was responsible for this?

Awesome content doesn't mean awesome ranking if deceptive practices are used - and by deceptive, I don't mean deliberate...

I've given you my opinion, feel free to take it or leave it, but I know a little something about templates, plugins & 3rd party services causing problems instead of results.

26. Thanks From:

If you hide it well, they probably won't be able to find it out.

I can do on my site whatever i wish, and it is not Google's business if i earn through affiliate programs the site or using adsense. Why would i work for 0.03 per visitor using adsense when i can get 0.30 or more per visitor using affiliate programs.

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/1126110-post8.html

Good luck on your next version...

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/1126110-post8.html

Good luck on your next version...
    Thanks.

I didn't hide them - use wp-noexternallinks plugin on default settings. I guess everyone is using some form of cloaking links. I though to block google from following the aff. links with htacces but I didn't do that.

Also by the post I meant that I do not want to be forced to use adsense when I can use affiliate programs and earn much more.

29. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    And how do you know a brand was responsible for this?

Awesome content doesn't mean awesome ranking if deceptive practices are used - and by deceptive, I don't mean deliberate...

I've given you my opinion, feel free to take it or leave it, but I know a little something about templates, plugins & 3rd party services causing problems instead of results.
    I did take your advice and I will implement something by revaluation content. I have a paid theme but I will check it as well as plugins. The same setup (plugins and theme) works well with other sites. Some 10K EMD's rank even without links.

He knows a big site got him deindexed probably by IP, didn't ask how but I trust him and it does make sense. He is smart enough to know. If you mean he made spam links he didn't because he knows what is he doing. And before deindexing he was obviously ranked above the site in question.

I do not know what setup do you use, but do you know were some only-datafeed-content sites deindexed.
    Last edited by Zoki; February 24th, 2013 at 03:29 PM.

I do not know what setup do you use, but do you know were some only-datafeed-content sites deindexed.
    Never have come even close to being deindexed in 15 years - and thats on hundreds of websites of all shapes and forms...

32. Thanks From:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast