Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Askimet
    After many years I decided to activate the Askimet plugin on one of my WP sites.

Needing the API key I followed the prompts to the Askimet site where I am asked what do I think the plug in is worth prompting me to enter a figure between $0 and $120.

I did not sign up but would like to hear the views of anyone who has done so.

Thanks
    Last edited by daiarian; February 25th, 2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Spelling and text error
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

Hi daiarian,

I've just realized it's not askimet but akismet.
    I've been using "akismet" for years and it's a really good tool to filter spam comments. If your blog is a personal one you can activate it for free. I would totally recommend it if you have a lot of spam.

Take care!

Quote Originally Posted by ToutPourBebe.ca View Post
    Hi daiarian,

I've just realized it's not askimet but akismet.
    I've been using "akismet" for years and it's a really good tool to filter spam comments. If your blog is a personal one you can activate it for free. I would totally recommend it if you have a lot of spam.

Take care!
    Apologies for the spelling error yes it is Akismet.

Concerning the cost what is the reasoning behind the option for the potential user to place a value on the plug in

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post
    Apologies for the spelling error yes it is Akismet.

Concerning the cost what is the reasoning behind the option for the potential user to place a value on the plug in
    Is an affiliate site considered to be a business site because its website
    states:
    If your site is for a business or if it promotes a product or service, you should pick from one of our paid account options.

https://akismet.com/signup/
    They claim that free personal use is for "For non-business personal sites or blogs" and I wonder if a product is promoted does that place an affiliate into the business category? https://akismet.com/signup/

What's the deal on this? Their $5 is a pro, so should a small affiliate bid higher than $5? I'm not sure and I am interested in what others would say.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

It's free, but if you think their service is awesome, you're free to pay for it. It's some sort of a donation system. When you register, you can see a slider where you will have to select the amount of money you think they deserve. The slider starts at 36$, but you can drag it down to 0$.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    Is an affiliate site considered to be a business site because its website
    - If you have a company and you use their solution on your company's website, you should pay.
    - If you have a blog or a personal site which are not linked with a real company, it's free (even if you are making some money from your website).

- If you have a company and you use their solution on your company's website, you should pay.
    - If you have a blog or a personal site which are not linked with a real company, it's free (even if you are making some money from your website).
    What is a definition of company according to Akismet?

If I call my website/blog "Rhia7's Fabulous Frisbees" and I
    put affiliate links to frisbees on my website, and I blog about
    the perfect weather for frisbee throwing and where my friends & I
    throw frisbees with affiliate links to outdoor gear and frisbees: does
    that constitute a business?

Where are the terms that I can make money from my site/log and still
    use Akismet for free outlined?

Vague definitions connected to monetary policies make me hesitant.

Thank you, ToutPourBebe.ca, for your earlier replies to this discussion.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Well, to my understanding, they're vague because a "company" can be so different depending on what country you are in.

To me, a company is an entity that is registered as "Rhia7's Fabulous Frisbees Inc." or "Rhia7's Fabulous Frisbees Limited" would be. If your government considers you as a company, then you are one, if not, you aren't.

As their terms & conditions are not clear about it you shouldn't worry that much about it, worst case scenario, they will ask you to pay for their service or remove it from your website.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    If your government considers you as a company, then you are one, if not, you aren't.
    That makes no sense in the affiliate world. I have about 2 dozen sites, in various niches, some affiliates have hundreds. We do not register each as a separate business; some affiliates have none registered anywhere. In fact, that whole registration "thing" is very ambiguous (I take it you are not in the US, ToutPourBebe.ca) - In the US, business licenses are issued by cities, but if you want to incorporate, that is done by the state; to protect a business name, you register THAT with the county. But, as I said, affiliates (generally) do not register each of their domains as a separate business, even as a County-registered Fictitious Business Name. But, if you want a bank account under a business name, then you need either a FBN or a corporation to open a account. I get some measure of income from almost all of my sites, but from some, such as a couple of political sites, I do not. If my "company" encompasses all my sites, but a political site is not monetized, is that still part of a "business? Would I have to pay Akismet to include it on that site?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

10. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    If I call my website/blog "Rhia7's Fabulous Frisbees"
    "Flying Discs" - the other is a trademark

Always understood if you monetize a web property then it's considered "for profit" therefore, not personal...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Always understood if you monetize a web property then it's considered "for profit" therefore, not personal...
    Then should a monetized web site pay Akismet?
    I would say "yes" based on their sign-up page.

Then the next question would be: are there any free anti-spam
    plug-ins? I'm not sure if Akismet really is free for affiliates?
    What are the alternatives if any?

How do other affiliates control spam on their blogs?
    Last edited by Rhia7; February 25th, 2013 at 06:01 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Rhia7,

I have been using toddlahman.com/spam-free-wordpress/ for a year now and have not gotten any spam since I installed the plugin (which I was getting daily before the install).
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

14. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    Rhia7,

I have been using toddlahman.com/spam-free-wordpress/ for a year now and have not gotten any spam since I installed the plugin (which I was getting daily before the install).

Thank you for your recommendation.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I am currently using SI CAPTCHA Anti-Spam but have received over 80 spam messages in the past 2 weeks, so clearly this is not effective.

It's free, but if you think their service is awesome, you're free to pay for it. It's some sort of a donation system. When you register, you can see a slider where you will have to select the amount of money you think they deserve. The slider starts at 36$, but you can drag it down to 0$.
    What differing benefits would accrue, if any, to two users one who selects $5 and another say $75.

Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post
    What differing benefits would accrue, if any, to two users one who selects $5 and another say $75.
    I'm just guessing here and being somewhat of a wise-guy
    but I think for the same benefits, one user would get a $5 bill
    and the other would get a bill for $75.

As a rule of thumb if I see vague descriptions coupled with money
    where neither the services nor the fees/obligations are delineated,
    I start to look elsewhere.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

19. Thanks From:

I read it as meaning the same as most free plugins:

The plugin is free but they're asking you for a donation. The fact that you have paid doesn't mean that you get a better version of the plugin. Just that by donating you are helping to ensure that the author will be able to keep working on the plugin in the future.

That was my take on things though having gone back and looked at the page linked too above it does look that in this case its more complicated than that..!

My latest blog which I started last month is wordpress and came with Akismet installed by default. I activated the plugin but haven't donated yet. I plan on donating to all the free plugins I am using once the site starts earning some money. In the meantime I figure that talking about the plugins on forums is a kind of promotion which in someway helps offset my debt to the guys who have worked on my site for free. :-)

At the moment I'm getting about 4 SPAM posts a day all of which are being caught by Akismet.
    Last edited by Ritchie; February 27th, 2013 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
    I read it as meaning the same as most free plugins:

The plugin is free but they're asking you for a donation.
    I've seen sites with the word "donation" -- this one does not use that word.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I found a privacy concern that would make me shy away
    from Akismet:

Each comment Akismet has to check is sent to the Akismet servers to check if the message is spam or not. But, Akismet sends much more than just the comment. Each Akismet request weights about 3Kb (or more, if the comment is long) and contains: comment, comment user IP, user agent, referrer, post permalink, blog URL, blog name, blog language, user role and the contents of the $_SERVER system array.

Do you need to update terms of conditions of your websites to include this: we will send all comments to a third-party company that will or will not keep it for undisclosed period of time and can do anything they want with it? Because that is really the case: data is sent to Akismet servers and you have no control over it anymore. In this day and age where privacy of users is of great concern, this kind of thing can be considered very, very dangerous.

Source: Do you really need Akismet? – Blog | Dev4Press
    The page Do you really need Akismet? – Blog | Dev4Press
    writes about Akismet alternatives and apparently likes Antispam Bee for WordPress - Smart Plugin for less blog spam

Another website wrote about how Akismet slowed down its site:
    Don't Use Akismet - Deluxe Blog Tips

Anytime when the TOS and payment obligations are written in a vague manner, I start to
    question the service. Also I have read that Akismet has not always been forthcoming about
    how it works. Many blogs & pages eulogize Akismet as being a wonderful spam filter, and it is,
    but you have to decide if the privacy glitch written above is worth it to you.
    Also, pay the money up front because I've read blogs about when things go wrong with the service and such problems can cause overall function problems with your WordPress site.
    Last edited by Rhia7; February 28th, 2013 at 02:58 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks for posting that Rhia.

I'm not affected by the payment stuff at the moment coz its a personal site but the privacy stuff is more worrying.

I hadn't realised that the plugin was sending the commenters IP address to be stored on Akismets servers. I need to check this but I think that makes it pretty well unusable where I live because of data protection laws.

There are alternatives out there.
    Do a real search before you choose one.

Kse is a smart guy and I like his puppet avatar (he's been on ABW a long time), so look into the antispam program he recommends in his above post.

Here's a recent article:
    Alternatives to Akismet for Spam Prevention - WP Themes

Here's another person who likes Antispam Bee:
    Antispam Bee: WordPress anti-spam plugin, free alternative to Akismet | OptimWise | WordPress Web Design for Small Business, in Holland MI

This article has a funny cartoon:
    2 anti spam alternatives for Akismet - Eggplant Digital

This article deal's with daiarian's original question about the money slider plus
    it claims that Akismet uses "Blacklist" behavior:
    Problems with Akismet? Try These Great Free Alternatives. | Invest It Wisely
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Many thanks Rhia for your comprehensive reply

Regards

Daiarian as you have read, Akismet is free, but when you sign up they are sneaky!

Anyway, I thought I'd share this with you. I still use Akismet on many of my sites, but for larger sites where spam commenting can become a real problem, I use a free service called Disqus. It has filtered out about 99.9% of spam comments and stopped it in it's tracks which Akismet doesn't do! I'm very happy with the service, especially considering it's free.

If you want to see how it works, I have it set up on my site. If you want to learn how to get it on your site, search to this post on my site "WordPress Anti Spam Filter for Comments"

Regards
    Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineK View Post
    Daiarian as you have read, Akismet is free, but when you sign up they are sneaky!

Anyway, I thought I'd share this with you. I still use Akismet on many of my sites, but for larger sites where spam commenting can become a real problem, I use a free service called Disqus. It has filtered out about 99.9% of spam comments and stopped it in it's tracks which Akismet doesn't do! I'm very happy with the service, especially considering it's free.

If you want to see how it works, I have it set up on my site. If you want to learn how to get it on your site, search to this post on my site "WordPress Anti Spam Filter for Comments"

Regards
    Catherine
    Thanks Catherine what is your URL?

Sorry for the delayed response. My website URL is AffiliateMarketersCollege(dot)Com
    Regards
    Catherine

29. Thanks From:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast