Affiliate relationship outside a network ?
    Hi there,

has any of you an affiliate relationship (either as a merchant or a publisher) that lives outside an affiliate network?

If yes, I would be curious to know how you manage payments, reporting etc.

So basically... how do you know the merchant is paying you the right commission? Or with a direct relationship you go more in terms of CPC ?

Curious to hear your thoughts
    thank you

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by trienthusiast View Post
    So basically... how do you know the merchant is paying you the right commission?
    It all boils down to trust. With independents anything can happen. Actually, due diligence is called for.

You should find their Terms of Service first, and look for anything not in your favor.

Re: reporting, some have their own software and some use a common exchange but remain independent. Some give you links to use that have no tracking except actual clicks (no impressions).

I've had good luck (reporting) with some and others were not so good.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    There are some great programs that either work outside of networks or have internal programs as well. But tracking is always a concern, though there are several companies offering software for just that purpose. I know there are several threads on ABW about various experiences with them.

Are you asking from a merchant or affiliate perspective?
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    It depends on the T&C, stability of the program, relationship with the AM and also if the merchant is governed by a non circumvent with the network

The last thing you want is to have a network give you a hard time due to the non circumvent

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I ran a $1M a month in-house program on My Affiliate Program back in 2006. When we hit a wall we went to Post Affiliate Program. Then we hit a wall with that, researched alternatives but found they upgraded and solved the issues. Also had a program with Ground Break which was a POS and added that to PAP. I have to say that I chased server issues and spent a lot of time with additional reporting, commission reports, check writing, 1099s. With my own agency I am not interested in running an in-house program.

Hello all and sorry if I could not reply earlier.

Basically I am a publisher and I started talking with a merchant (who is currently on an affiliate network, same as I am) about bypassing the network (some tracking issues were giving me a very very low EPC) and working directly with them, sending links with a utm?campaign appendix.

The reasons... me and the merchant are an extremely good match. But when I tested them, i sent approx 1,000 visitors and my conversion/EPC was 20% of what other, less matching, merchants give me.

They say they still really want to work with me (I guess the 1000 visitors in a week helped) and that we should work something out of the network.

I think I might even just ask to be payed CPC according to the EPC I would like to achieve?

Any thoughts is appreciated!
    thank you

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    That makes sense. You already have established a sense of trust with the merchant.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread