Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Coupon Follow
    Coupons at Checkout Automatically Finds Available Coupons for Your Order During Checkout

As a consumer it would make me uncomfortable. I don't want any applications possibly having access to my information that way. Isn't checkout supposed to be secure so how do they bypass that?

As a merchant how can you support something like this, when so many merchants already complain about coupon affiliates hijacking the sales during checkout?

Suprised no one has brought this up before, I tried to a few months ago but the forums wouldn't let me post.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    This is insane - no different than a toolbar lighting up -

Is there a complete list of merchants who are involved with this? As the article is not exactly clear:

All you have to do is install the extension and visit a supported online store (e.g. Target, Amazon, DELL, CVS, Macy's, Domino's Pizza, Travelocity, and many more)
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Interesting..

It is the same like any tool bar but with a twist.

5. Thanks From:

Marketing Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld View Post
    As a consumer it would make me uncomfortable. I don't want any applications possibly having access to my information that way. Isn't checkout supposed to be secure so how do they bypass that?
    According to the article, You click in the Coupon field and it brings up possible coupon codes. Most coupon fields aren't on the same page as where you enter your credit card information. Most of them are in the shopping cart on on the order summary page.

Also, since this is a browser plugin, I'm sure that the website's security measures can block this plugin from recording sensitive information just like they can block every other plugin from doing the same thing.

Something the article is not specific about is if the plugin is product-sensitive, i.e. Does it recognize which products are in your shopping cart to tailor the coupons it shows or does it just bring up all coupons related to the domain you are currently on? Has anyone tried out this plugin?

Just visited the site. Don't know if all the merchants on the site would be the same involved with whatever the application is considered or not. Site says to search for coupon codes for over 80,000 web sites, tho. Appears from those featured, doubt they've missed anybody.

Site's been around since 2009 so umm would assume the affiliate networks and affiliate managers are well aware of them. Guess is one more thing to feel happy about in the affiliate world.

8. Thanks From:

Just looked up the CJ PID. Is this them? NextGen Shopping LLC (463480)
    Shareasale NextGen Shopping, LLC - 62420
    Last edited by Hectic GHC; March 2nd, 2013 at 04:27 PM.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    Just looked up the CJ PID. Is this them? NextGen Shopping LLC (463480)
    Shareasale NextGen Shopping, LLC - 62420
    Yep.

http://www.nextgenshopping.com/mashups

11. Thanks From:

They no longer exist in any of my programs. In each program, they had very low clicks and almost no sales. But I don't have tolerance for toolbar shenanigans.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

Sure would be nice if other affiliate managers felt the same way and ummmm affiliate networks as well. Thank you akagorilla

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    We're checking in Fanatics family of programs as well... if they are in, they won't be anymore. Thanks Connie for bringing it up and akagorilla for letting me know about the thread.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

15. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Checking as well, removing and marking auto decline.

17. Thanks From:

Marketing Manager
    I understand why affiliate managers block toolbar programs. They aren't referring new customers.

But wouldn't a toolbar that alerts a buyer of an available coupon increase conversion rates? How would you weigh the value?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Grimm View Post
    I understand why affiliate managers block toolbar programs. They aren't referring new customers.

But wouldn't a toolbar that alerts a buyer of an available coupon increase conversion rates? How would you weigh the value?
    What about the affiliate that loses the commission? As a manager, we have to balance the needs of the merchant and the affiliate. If a higher conversion means screw the other affiliates, it's not worth it.
    Greg Hoffman

20. Thanks From:

Tread lightly in this area - Toolbars / Apps not only steal from other affiliates, merchants often end up paying twice for traffic - like if the merchant does PPC or other paid advertising.

Toolbar / App affiliates are parasites. Merchants that allow them are fools. And you know what they say about fools and their money...

22. Thanks From:

Marketing Manager
    What about the affiliate that loses the commission?
    That would definitely be an issue if it happens often.

The thrust of my earlier question was, how are you measuring that behavior? What percentage of commissions to toolbar programs would have already gone to another affiliate?

I'd love to be able to measure this type of activity on my programs.

Marketing Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Tread lightly in this area - Toolbars / Apps not only steal from other affiliates, merchants often end up paying twice for traffic - like if the merchant does PPC or other paid advertising.

Toolbar / App affiliates are parasites. Merchants that allow them are fools. And you know what they say about fools and their money...
    I see the same type of activity from coupon sites by looking at multi-channel funnels in analytics. Someone comes to my site through one medium, the re-enter through the affiliate medium and convert a small percentage of the time. Do you feel the same way about coupon sites?

That would definitely be an issue if it happens often.

The thrust of my earlier question was, how are you measuring that behavior? What percentage of commissions to toolbar programs would have already gone to another affiliate?

I'd love to be able to measure this type of activity on my programs.
    It is a proven, scientific fact I've been studying for about 4 years. When I remove a toolbar or a scumbag affiliate from my programs, other affiliate conversion increases and the merchant NEVER loses sales overall.

I will send you a free copy of my ebook when it's released later this year. The case studies are flawless.
    Greg Hoffman

Do you feel the same way about coupon sites?
    Yes...

Spreading the word about this. Thanks for bringing it up, Connie!
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Connie, thank you for the heads up! Tricia, thank you for Tweeting it out!

Found them in 4 out of 8 programs that we manage. 1 click across all 4 programs. But removed and added them to an auto-decline list as well.

5-bar publisher on CJ (with 3-month EPC at nearly $70), "Full" status on SaS... Sounds like they are making money.

LinkShare advertisers/affiliate managers, should you wonder their site ID is 1717636.

Geno

29. Thanks From:

Marketing Manager
    It is a proven, scientific fact I've been studying for about 4 years. When I remove a toolbar or a scumbag affiliate from my programs, other affiliate conversion increases and the merchant NEVER loses sales overall.

I will send you a free copy of my ebook when it's released later this year. The case studies are flawless.
    That would be awesome. I'd love to learn more.

Thanks for bringing this up. Removed and Auto-declined.
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

32. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov View Post
    5-bar publisher on CJ (with 3-month EPC at nearly $70), "Full" status on SaS... Sounds like they are making money.
    Geno
    Wondering how much money they have stolen from me...

Hey Geno, nice to see you posting again and thank you for taking a positive stand.

34. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld View Post

Connie,

The nice part about a plugin is it is completely up to you if you want to download it in the first place. Many people share your privacy concerns. Some will look deeply into the privacy policy before installing it. Some just won't download it. It's completely up to the user.

On the otherhand, many people love the concept and are willing to accept it. Our only objective is to deliver coupon codes at the point of sale to eliminate time wasted searching for them.

Without getting technical, we maintain https security and everything is done in a manner to not interfere with checkout process. This addon is extremely lightweight and NOT a toolbar.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    offerfind,

Please note that this behavior of your plugin - if it behaves as has been described here - would be against our Terms of Agreement.

I'll discuss it offline with you if you wish, and will look into your account, but wanted to let you know FYI in case there was confusion.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast