Smile Best Kind of Feed?
    I'm working on product feeds, including one (or maybe more than one) that will be for affiliate use when we launch our upcoming affiliate program.

My question for affiliates is this: What kind of feed would be easiest, most compatible with your workflow, or make you happy for some other reason?

CSV, txt?

Just access to the same feed we send to google or amazon?

Just the important stuff? Maybe name, category, price and image?

Thanks for any input you may be able to offer that would help me understand the affiliate's point of view.

--Chris

We require the following fields:

affiliate url (obviously)
    image url
    product name
    description
    category
    price
    sale price (optional)
    currency
    merchant name
    brand name
    upc (optional, but PLEASE include, it helps)

Without those fields, we don't import you into our system. Format wise, doesn't matter. I assume you will be working with one of the major networks? We also only work with merchants at a major network. I'm sure some affiliates will work with an in house program, but it's too much of a hassle for us personally. Just something to consider

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Complete all applicable fields in your feeds.

Provide them compressed, ie: .txt.gz (nothing worse than having to use a feed with several hundred thousand items that is only offered in a text file - we have to download these suckers)...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

4. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post

Provide them compressed, ie: .txt.gz (nothing worse than having to use a feed with several hundred thousand items that is only offered in a text file - we have to download these suckers)...
    Great point about the compression. I have to download thousands of feeds, and simple gzip compression can cut the size by a factor of 10X or more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post

I'll keep this in mind if our product line gets huge. Right now it's going to be about 200 SKUs, a small download.

Quote Originally Posted by Prosperent View Post

I assume you will be working with one of the major networks?
    As much as I hate to be the bearer of perceived bad news, this program is going to be in-house.

I understand that some affiliates aren't going to interested in signing up for individual programs, but we're also going to be working with individuals who aren't already in a network.

It's kind of a catch 22, but all we can do is make the program as attractive as possible. The per sale commissions are going to be pretty high, so that'll help a little

Thanks for the feedback everybody!

--Chris

AffiliateMan
    I recommend that you use the borrow the format for your feed from CJ.com or shareasale or one of the other affiliate networks. That way example code for handling your feeds will already be available.

Personally I Like CSV with pipes | as the delimiter in the form of a compressed txt.gz file.

I pretty much slice and dice the feed to my own needs so the basic field set (Name, Sku, imgURL...) are fine for me. One thing that is really annoying is when a feed contains a different record/SKU for different sized items. For example a shirt has four sizes S, M, L XL and there will be a completely different sku for each.
    Thanks,
    Doug

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread