OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    The Coupon Application Tidal Wave
    Excellent article by SARAH BEESKOW at ShareASale.com:

One of the most common questions I hear from new Merchants during their first few weeks of going live is, “Why are so many of my affiliate applications coming from coupon sites?”
    Full Article here:

Marketing Manager
    This makes sense, but what are some ways to attract the attention of high-quality content publishers? Assuming that your program has a good commission, good creative, clear program terms, and a track record of performance.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    This makes sense, but what are some ways to attract the attention of high-quality content publishers? Assuming that your program has a good commission, good creative, clear program terms, and a track record of performance.
    Contact them directly

4. Thanks From:

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Nathan,

Some of the same tools that we created to allow for custom clickstream commissions and handling of the "tidal wave" can also be used to recruit the exact type of Affiliate you are looking for. But there is never going to be a substitute for what Chuck refers to which is hard work. Going out and recruiting for your business is always going to be one of the most effective ways.

Using those tools that I mention, to augment your efforts, can be extremely powerful. For example, we recently posted on pre and post-conference planning as part of our #ASW13 series here and here to give an example of what I am talking about.

My apologies for linking off of the forum but since the thread started that way ...

And Chuck - thank you for the coverage and kind words about the article
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

6. Thanks From:

Marketing Manager
    Thanks for the replies guys. I agree completely that strategically, meeting people and building relationships is the way to grow (assuming you have all the details right as well).

Brian, thanks for posting the article about how to plan for conferences. That's exactly the type of tactical feedback I was looking for.

Does anyone else have tactical suggestions for identifying great affiliates and building relationships or is that the "secret sauce" of affiliate marketing that people don't talk about?

Here's one tactic I've used to find relevant affiliates. I'm not saying it was super-effective but it's a place to start. Log in to a network as an affiliate, find a text link from a competing program. Paste the text of the link into Google with quotes around it.

Viola, list of affiliates who work with your competitors.

8. Thanks From:

I think the real kernel of truth is towards the bottom:

"Consider all Affiliate applications carefully."

I have had some coupon sites turn into content sites! These sites have been super useful because not only do they attract customers, but they get them to stay in the campaign instead of using costly AdWords or CSE clicks to do research.

Chuck is right though, contacting folks is the way to go. It can be hard though, I had one publisher tell me one of his posted email addresses was a "black hole" for messages. What's the point of having an email address on your profile then!? Face to face communication, instant messaging (where possible), Facebook, and LinkedIn are all ways around that barrier. In the end though, if you can't get hold of a human being at a publisher's company, forget about it. When things go wrong, and they will eventually, you want to be able to reliably talk to someone to get the problem solved.

A publisher who answers their phone, is worth 1,000 cookie cutter coupon sites that don't.

ABW Ambassador
    affiliate managers should consider offering trackable coupons that don't require a link like Hostgator use and some other merchants. if you want coupon affiliates to work for their commissions then this is the best way.

2 years ago I was promoting a company heavily with a trackable coupon and I really did bring in new customers and orders for the merchant because I was motivated to get out there and really push them. I sent millions in sales to them over several years and I'm sure a large majority of those orders would have gone to their competitors if it was not for my marketing of them.

This all ended when the company hired a new young marketer who was not able to understand how this worked and along with network mangers they stopped this for their affiliates. I would say it was mainly the network that wanted to stop it as it was not using their traditional methods and in fact I had asked them to help and ask the AM to realize that this is worked well for them.

That company was one of the top 10 in the very competitive industry then, now they are basically an unknown after the screwed their best affiliates.

Coupons are not evil, the problem is how the networks operate with cookies.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread