Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Have your Popshops sites been effected by Panda more than other sites?
    Have your Popshops Sites been effected by Panda more than other sites?

I have several different types of affiliate sites and I use Popshops “ASP Code” for around 6 sites these have been hit hard by Panda. One site was still doing ok in 2012 with say 200-300 unique visits a day down from its original 1500-2000 unique visits a day. However the last few weeks it is on its way down again to average 100 or less unique visits a day.

I have other non Popshops sites with original content that are doing well and even improving with time as I keep working on them. My raw datafeed sites are picking up as well but popshops sites are not.

So I wonder how are your Popshops sites are doing since the interdiction of Panda and if it is time to stop using Popshops and similar type services for datafeed sites and replace these sites with our own database and merchants feeds.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

ABW Ambassador
    I use PopShops and have been hit by all the Panda updates. I don't think using PopShops is the issue though as I know affiliates that aren't using PopShops that have been hit just as hard.

Google has it's own agenda, so whether affiliates use PopShops or another tool/means to pull datafeeds, we will be targeted.

I also know some small business owners (not affiliates) that have also taken a hit. Who knows what G has in store or wants these day.

3. Thanks From:

You need to make sure your sites add value no matter how they are built. A thin affiliate site is a thin affiliate site no matter how you built it

Quote Originally Posted by Prosperent View Post
    You need to make sure your sites add value no matter how they are built. A thin affiliate site is a thin affiliate site no matter how you built it
    That was not the question, I was asking about Popshops (and others) and if they can still be used with the new Google rules.

In other words should affiliates still be using services like Popshops, Goldencan, Prosperent, SellFire, etc....
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

6. Thanks From:

My answer covered your question. If you build a thin affiliate site with any service, or even a direct datafeed, it is going to get penalized at some point. Focus on adding value to the customer. You are focusing on the wrong question. It isn't the service that is the issue, it is what you do with the data.

8. Thanks From:

My answer covered your question. If you build a thin affiliate site with any service, or even a direct datafeed, it is going to get penalized at some point. Focus on adding value to the customer. You are focusing on the wrong question. It isn't the service that is the issue, it is what you do with the data.
    Exactly! That's the message that's been out there for a long time - and it make sense. Sites that simply regurgitate the products from a merchant feed "should" be penalized.

Let the flames begin...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

10. Thanks From:

I typically monitor the serps at least once a week. Look at some product related queries and see what ranks. There are always some large affiliate sites, and they always offer more to the end user than just the direct data from the feed or api. Sure, you can get lucky and rank for a while with a basic thrown together datafeed site, but you aren't building a long term business that way.

When people do product research they want product data of course, but they also want comparisons, coupon offers, buying tips/suggestions, reviews. If you don't cover that, someone else will, and they are going to steal your sale. A thin site only gets the cookie IF someone else has already answered those questions for that customer somewhere else.

ABW Ambassador
    Even though thin affiliate sites will drop in the seaches by nature, I don't think it's entirely the case that content will always win out now. I'm not suggesting that you should have thin affiliate sites but I think things are changing as to what Google wants to rise to the top of the searches. I have been doing a lot of research on keywords and phrases I target. What I'm seeing on page one results are the big box merchants (Amazon, eBay, etc.) with multi page listings or garbage spamming sites with no added value or content.

That's just what I'm seeing right now.
    Last edited by msladybug; March 10th, 2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: typo

Right now the serps are a mess. Hopefully it's temporary while something rolls out. If this is the new norm, we're all going to be scratching our heads.

ABW Ambassador
    Right now the serps are a mess. Hopefully it's temporary while something rolls out. If this is the new norm, we're all going to be scratching our heads.
    I agree, it's like a roller coaster ride right now.

Yes as discussed here and in other threads as stated by Bill thin affiliate sites will not work any more. But that was not by question so I will try again.

So here is my question again for "Affiliates":

Should affiliates stop using services like Popshops, Goldencan, Prosperent, SellFire, etc.. and go back to using their own database and upload the merchants feeds themselfs to help recover from Panda?

I should be apparent by now if you monitor the up time and down time of some of those sites feed scripts.
    Seems like when I was using them a few years ago they were always having issues.
    I don't know what it's like today, but that hurts a site and along with the ones that limit an API call.
    That to me does a merchant or an affiliate any good to see a message, this site has reached its limits of XXXX amount of calls to the API.
    Think about, search your sites indexing and see how many of those are out there in the search results.
    It just might amaze you.
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

Again, you are completely missing the point. The data is the same. At Prosperent for example, we take the merchants feeds, and clean/process them.

You need to look at the bigger picture. If you are building sites that ONLY have datafeeds for content, that is your issue, not where you got that content.

18. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lawrence View Post
    I should be apparent by now if you monitor the up time and down time of some of those sites feed scripts.
    Seems like when I was using them a few years ago they were always having issues.
    I don't know what it's like today, but that hurts a site and along with the ones that limit an API call.
    That to me does a merchant or an affiliate any good to see a message, this site has reached its limits of XXXX amount of calls to the API.
    Think about, search your sites indexing and see how many of those are out there in the search results.
    It just might amaze you.
    We don't have api limits, and our php api class includes 3 different caching methods. On top of that, our service is close to 5 9's as far as uptime. We have a cluster of 26 servers handling our api across two datacenters. I can't speak to those other services, only to ours. We likely have better uptime than most affiliates themselves.

I'll admit I haven't used your service, note to you. probably never will.
    No harm was intended to you, but the data scripts that we have used, had issues more often than not.
    Some even had rss feeds and those sucked too. think those were Linkshare's.
    But the ones I've used had issues and admitted I don't know if they still do or not.
    I don't use them anymore and have no plans on doing so.
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

21. Thanks From:
    kse

Again, you are completely missing the point. The data is the same. At Prosperent for example, we take the merchants feeds, and clean/process them.

You need to look at the bigger picture. If you are building sites that ONLY have datafeeds for content, that is your issue, not where you got that content.
    No I not missing your point, but I not asking you the question, I asking affiliate. I know you pay iNet to be here to promote you tool but I asking affiliate their option on such services. Can you please stop hijacking my thread.

As an affiliate who runs a custom datafeed site - and was hit by Panda - I think we have to look at the source code generated by each (and how it's integrated into our own pages). I'm not sure the system-used matters as much as the end results on the page. It's been many years since I've tried a canned service, but here are a few thoughts to throw out there:

Pros of custom system:
    - Programming flexibility to create something new with feeds
    - Database control (same as above) to create your own unique categories
    - Control over server performance

Cons of custom system:
    - Mistakes can be very costly
    - Need programming expertise
    - Server optimization can be expensive

For me, I've always had a curiousity/interest in programming, and fully enjoyed the Pros above - until I made some costly mistakes that spawned duplicate urls (an issue that never would have occurred with a canned set of products). I also have a little more control over my database, which I like..

I think if someone has the development skills, a custom solution could be beneficial, but only if you can create something unique (which isn't easy!). One thing to remember is that we're we're all impacted by a crappy merchant feed, which could be another Panda factor (low quality descriptions, for example).

But I know where you're coming from here - this is an interesting discussion as I've been wondering if some of my problems would be solved if I went with a subscription service! It would definitely be cleaner... but I'm hesitant to make any major changes right now (still waiting for G to recognize 301s).

24. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I don't think you need to stop using tools like PopShops/SellFire, etc. But you do need to build in real value around them. You need to think of them as a creative type and not actual content and derive your SEO value from actual content on the topic the products are related to.

Standalone feed-based affiliates sites are dead or dying. It's dupe content and Google knows it.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

26. Thanks From:

As I tried to state above I have several datafeed sites 40% Popshops, 10% GoldCan, 50% using my own datafeeds MYSQL database & merchants feed that I filter. The sites using my own MYSQL database are improving and the sites using a service are not.

Just to be clear not all my sites are datafeed sites, but for this thread I just talking about datafeed sites.

28. Thanks From:

I agree with kse - let's keep this thread on topic.

We all know that you need to add content to sites, but it's my understanding the original question is about infrastructure (which is an affiliate issue, regardless of content).. not about what causes Panda.

30. Thanks From:
    kse

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    I agree with kse - let's keep this thread on topic.

We all know that you need to add content to sites, but it's my understanding the original question is about infrastructure (which is an affiliate issue, regardless of content).. not about what causes Panda.
    Thanks, that is exactly what I trying to say/ask.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Problems we had when we tested "canned" services is the URL structure identifying the service. Probably a better way to do it than what we tested - but we've had better success with importing feeds ourselves...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

33. Thanks From:
    kse

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Problems we had when we tested "canned" services is the URL structure identifying the service. Probably a better way to do it than what we tested - but we've had better success with importing feeds ourselves...
    Yes that is one issue and even if their was away to mask the url as Popshops offers Google/Bing would still know it was a Popshop site.

I don't think you can really separate the two questions. If you insist on doing so, here would be my points to consider:

Are you hitting api limits? Error messages on your sites are going to tank the sites as far as rankings go.

Are you building the sites yourself, or are you using a generic site builder? If you are using a generic store builder, there are going to be 10's of thousands of people also putting up the exact same sites. You aren't going to rank for long.

Given the above, the answer to your original question really depends on how you use each system. By using your own datafeeds, you are building your own sites, so the footprint issue is going to be lessened. The same would go if you built a site off of an api though. The advantage being that the data will likely be cleaner than the direct datafeed.

I would stay away from store builders generally speaking. Custom code something yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    Yes that is one issue and even if their was away to mask the url as Popshops offers Google/Bing would still know it was a Popshop site.
    Unless you mask the url's using a 302 AND you aren't using a store builder from them, but rather coding up something of your own. I know you said earlier that you wanted to hear from affiliates. I happen to be one of the largest affiliates here. I see the traffic from over 8,000 other affiliates on a daily basis. I see what they do with their sites, and I see the type of sites that last through panda, penguin, and all of the other algo changes. I have over 50 million impressions and api requests come through a day. A unique site, built from a feed, or from an api is definitely outperforming cookie cutter sites right now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast