Angry How would you deal with this... (Over 30K 404's emails from the stupid Google boot?
    How would you deal with this... (Over 30K 404's emails from the stupid Google boot?

I have one script that will send me an email if there is an error on my site, like a 404, 500, etc...

So far in over ten years I have never seen anything like this, not even when someone is scraping my site, or from any of those foreing spam countries boots...

Usually I would never get more than a few hundred 404's error emails in one day, at the worse time long ago, I have never got more than 1500 404's error emails in one day, but today I just got screwed by the Googlebot/2.1 boot...

-----------------------------------

Yesterday I was not at my computer for most of the day, and about four hours ago when I went online and check my email account, I got the shock of my life...
    -----------------------------------------
    Receiving list of messages from server...
    Receiving message xxx of xxxxx...

These are the three things I did in vain in order stop all those emails...

First: I run to my FTP and deleted my live copy of the error script. (Fail!)
    Second: I run to my Cpanel and deleted that special email account I have for error reporting. (Fail!)
    Third: I run to my Message Rules and did this: Select the Actions for your rule: Delete it from server. (Fail!)

Then I came here to vent by making this post, and maybe see if anyone else have ever see any crap like this from Google or any other boot...

By the way, the emails are still downloading, but now they're going into the default Inbox Folder, and not to the dedicated folder I have for those emails...

(That Googlebot/2.1 boot visit was from Thursday March 14, 2013 about 1:00 pm.)

==================

Sample 30k + emails:

-----------------------------------------------------------
    ERROR CODE 404 MISSING URL
    WHEN THE URL /index.php WAS REQUESTED
    BY A USER AT IP Address 66.249.73.15
    THE BROWSER WAS Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +Googlebot - Webmaster Tools Help)

And also...

ERROR CODE 404 MISSING URL
    WHEN THE URL / WAS REQUESTED
    BY A USER AT IP Address 66.249.73.15
    THE BROWSER WAS Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +Googlebot - Webmaster Tools Help)
    -----------------------------------------------------------

============================================================

Edit to add:

Just before click to make this post, I thought my nightmare was over because I got this message:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'xxxxxxxx', Server: 'mail.xxxxxxx', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: abcdefgh

But, as soon as I refresh the email program... That crap is still downloading again!

FG, big time!

Well.........

After about 7 hours dealing with all this (****), and not been able to stop those emails, I went to webmail and emptied the entire folder and that finally did it.

I don't know what the hell that boot from google is doing, I thought that by now it should have being over but no, gogle still messing around on my site, so I had to disable the 404 error emails from my script for now, because I am afraid to check my emails a few hours from now and find another bach of thousands of 404 error emails triggered by the stupid g. boot, agan...

Cool
    I wonder what's causing that . . .

I get an occasional 404-email for a site the Goog claims they can't find, but I can right after. Thinking there is an intermittent DNS server somewhere in between.

4. Thanks From:

There is an unofficial correlation between between G crawl rate and an upcoming Panda refresh (for me, it's a statistical fact, but I can't speak for others!).

I suspect they were flooding your site with previous URLs, or testing a variety of strings.

6. Thanks From:

I suspect they were flooding your site with previous URLs, or testing a variety of strings.
    The only previous URLs that I can think of was the PHP version of Goldencan I used on that site before. But I deleted that Goldencan script about a year ago and I remember that at that time I didn't had that many 404's from G.

But after reading what you and other members are saying about G. and the WMT showing old deleted URLs, I guess you're right, it may be caused by G. testing and messing with their algos and our sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post
    The only previous URLs that I can think of was the PHP version of Goldencan I used on that site before. But I deleted that Goldencan script about a year ago and I remember that at that time I didn't had that many 404's from G.
    I had to use the Optimization > Remove URLs in Webmaster Tools to remove GoldenCan directories. Enter the directory URL, then choose "Remove directory" from dropdown menu.
    Rene
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

I would change the destination email account to be a gmail account.

let them handle the flood.
    The internet is a fad.

10. Thanks From:

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread