Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Has the TSA Ever Taken Your Stuff?
    Now I know what happened to my husband's pocket knife. Have they taken anything from you, or do you ship it home?
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Tax Paying Member
    LOL......I never take my Swiss Army knife with me.

While trying to fly out of San Diego, Patsy had to get out of line and ship a Christmas gift for my daughter. The shipping cost more than the gift and traveled on the same plane with us........BoooooM...

Have had shampoos, etc....confiscated many times........Good for the shampoo industry....
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I am glad to see they are going to allow very small pocket knives again.

a small swiss army knife is too useful to travel without.
    The internet is a fad.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    A few years ago I was at Sea-Tac about to go through security when I realized I had forgotten to pack my Swiss Army Knife and it was in my pocket. There was a hokey looking machine by the security area that said you could use it to mail things like knives. I was a bit hesitant because as I remember it only took cash and it did not give change. I really had no choice, so I filled out the form, stuck my knife in, and the fee was $7 but I didn't have anything small than a $10 so I put that in. I figured I would probably never see my knife again, but a couple of days after getting home, this great big box shows up - big enough for several dozen knives - and inside was my knife and $3.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

5. Thanks From:

Wow, AffiliateHound, I've never tried that service, though I always see it there. Pretty cool to know that actually worked so well. That would have saved our Swiss Army Knife.

Yeah, Witzer, I scan every bottle to make sure it's under the 3.25 ounces, cause I think they take special pride in collecting that stuff. Usually for shampoo now, I just take a couple of ones I picked up from my last hotel stay, cause those are so tiny!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    About six years ago I was in Chicago O'Hare going through security. Big burly guy goes through my attache case and pulls out my MINI stapler and asks me gruffly "Is this a STAPLER?".

I looked at him, scowled, and said: "Yes, now put it back!"

He did, and I boarded...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

While only a fraction of a percent of the flying public have anything confiscated, the fact that millions of people fly every day creates a large number of items taken. Most people, however, lose only their dignity.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    ...Most people, however, lose only their dignity.
    Really. The last two times I flew out of LAX, after going through the TSA All-Inclusive Scanner and Radio-Active Isotope Inflictor machiney-thingy, I was frisked. The first time I had forgotten I had a piece of paper in my shirt pocket, but the second time I had no such contraband anywhere.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    Really. The last two times I flew out of LAX, after going through the TSA All-Inclusive Scanner and Radio-Active Isotope Inflictor machiney-thingy, I was frisked. The first time I had forgotten I had a piece of paper in my shirt pocket, but the second time I had no such contraband anywhere.

I had a security guys take me to a room and give me the full pat down. I was annoyed for a little bit that the dude felt my balls. Then I was fine and felt more sorry for that guy who has the job of feeling other dudes balls.

Tax Paying Member
    Did TSA loosen up on nail clippers? At one time this was classified as a potentially deadlly weapon.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Rules are changing April 25th. You will even be allowed to take your (small) Swiss Army Knife with you and even two (2) golfclubs if you so desire. Two golf clubs??? Yup - some things just don't seem to make sense - but that's the TSA for ya. Your freedom and dignity, however, will remain compromised everytime you fly on a scheduled commercial flight.

Link to the relevant TSA blog post: CLICKY
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Tax Paying Member
    2-golf clubs????

One for you and one for me..........
    Carolina China

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Witzer View Post
    Did TSA loosen up on nail clippers? At one time this was classified as a potentially deadlly weapon.
    That's the one that always had me scratching my head. Someone can do more damage with a cheap Bic pen...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

What I could never understand was how on one hand, no knives or similar objects at all could go through security, but once past security, any number of restaurants have knives (including steak knives), forks, etc. that could easily be taken from dining rooms, plus fast food stands with heavy duty plastic utensils for the taking.

16. Thanks From:

Tax Paying Member
    You guys are trying to apply logic to this.........The real question is did the Crooks knife get sold for a profit?
    Carolina China

Chances are pretty good that that is the case.

The rest of the discussion amounts to the ramifications of the term "Security Theater."

Tax Paying Member

The rest of the discussion amounts to the ramifications of the term "Security Theater."

Is that similar to "Off Broadway"?
    Carolina China

You guys are trying to apply logic to this.........The real question is did the Crooks knife get sold for a profit?
    I thought of flying to one of these sales, but not sure how I'd get back.

21. Thanks From:

Is that similar to "Off Broadway"?
    That says it all. Like Billy Crystal's Fernando character, all that matters is that you look good.

On the reverse side of things, ya hafta wonder what some people are thinking. If my memory serves me, I believe in Atlanta's Harstfield International they have (had?) glass display cases that show some of the items that have been confiscated. Among them are a chain saw, garden hoe, garden gnome (obviously on vacation), tire iron and a large variety of knifes well over 12" long including several machetes.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    On the reverse side of things, ya hafta wonder what some people are thinking. If my memory serves me, I believe in Atlanta's Harstfield International they have (had?) glass display cases that show some of the items that have been confiscated. Among them are a chain saw, garden hoe, garden gnome (obviously on vacation), tire iron and a large variety of knifes well over 12" long including several machetes.

-rematt
    As we all well know, people are not the brightest light in the sky.....When plotted on a bell curve......
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post

-rematt
    I bet they all said, "Oh sorry, I forgot this was in there when I was packing." Hard to make policies to protect 300 million people when so many are complete idiots!

Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    I bet they all said, "Oh sorry, I forgot this was in there when I was packing." Hard to make policies to protect 300 million people when so many are complete idiots!
    The biggest idiots of all are the people who have the audacity to say that about a loaded gun. This includes a California Assemblyman who was allowed to board the next plane (instead of being arrested as any ordinary citizen would have been), ended up with only a misdemeanor for which he got community service, and who now plans on running for Governor.

Yes, there was one recently in Chicago as well, except he wanted to run for the US Congress!

People have always been so mind-boggling. Once, pre-9/11, I flew All Nippon Airways, which used metal (or some kind of very dense plastic) for their in-flight meals' utensils. When we finally landed -this was nonstop from DC to Tokyo- I noticed a small commotion near the transfer area. A security agent had called over a flight attendant to translate for him, and from what I could gather they were essentially asking this woman "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? Did you think we wouldn't notice? How were you getting onto the next flight?"

My line took me past her, and she had about 20 sets of the airline's cutlery, bundled up, that she was trying to take off the plane- 20 knives, 20 forks, 20 large spoons, 20 coffee spoons.
    What really struck me, when I realized it later, was we had 3 meals in flight and one or two snacks (no cutlery, unless you had a spoon for tea or coffee) so she was swiping all the spoons and knives of her neighbors, too!

29. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread