Newegg - Non-Commissionables in Datafeed
    Nothing burns my butt more than when a merchant sends down loads of non-commissionable items in their datafeed. Toys-R-Us and Buy.com spring to mind...

Now, it appears that Newegg, of 1% - .5% commission fame, is taking it one step farther by also sending down about 18,000 non-commissionable items in their datafeed. Yes, 18,000 items with 0% commission.

Are they marker or tagged in any that they can be filtered out?
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

I was just reading that email! I cannot understand how anyone makes any money from that program. Between the half a percent commissions and all of those non-commissionable items, I can't figure out what anyone is even selling!
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

I haven't checked to see if the non-commissionable items are tagged. This was the last straw for me and I just dumped them. As helpingmoms pointed out, their extremely low commission rate already made it very difficult to rationalize promoting them.

I try to provide an comprehensive list of merchants for my website visitors, but when a merchant pushes too far, I can't afford to keep them. Plus, there is principle involved. I hate being treated like a sucker.

I defo know what you mean there, I haven't scanned the feed either, think it's time to drop them and tiger...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lawrence View Post
    think it's time to drop them and tiger...
    Are you talking about TigerDirect? What types of problems are you having with them?

Yep that be the one, Cash Rewards at check-out. Seems to be over writing affiliate cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lawrence View Post
    Yep that be the one, Cash Rewards at check-out. Seems to be over writing affiliate cookies.
    I'm not having a problem with TigerDirect. They are performing substantially better than Newegg on my site.

Affiliate Manager Kush@VMInnovations's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by helpingmoms View Post
    I was just reading that email! I cannot understand how anyone makes any money from that program. Between the half a percent commissions and all of those non-commissionable items, I can't figure out what anyone is even selling!
    I know of a site that does extremely well with NewEgg. He has several thousand loyal followers that use his tips/tools/resources (with embedded affiliate links) to build their shiny new rigs (PCs).

At any given time (daily) there are over 100 users planning and building their new PCs using this guy's resources. Average cost of a decent PC is over 1,000. I'm guesstimating here but even at 1%, the comm would be well over 10k/mo.

10. Thanks From:

Without Newegg it would be $40K a month via Amazon (they have a $25 cap on computer stuff, but for components, you won't hit the cap unless you are building a really high end machine with components that are greater than $600 each)...

I've been specing out a high-end server that I'm building for my biz. You know who has great component pricing that beats newegg? Compuvest. They pay out 5%, so make that $50K a month...
    Last edited by isellstuff; March 19th, 2013 at 04:13 PM.

Actually, I've noticed an increase in Newegg pricing lately on my site. I guess they needed to achieve higher profit margins. They used to have the best price, now they are in the middle, or even towards the high end of pricing.

I should put a caveat on my compuvest statement... I've been shopping for 15K RPM SAS drives which I want to buy in bulk. So not your typical component shopping.
    Last edited by isellstuff; March 19th, 2013 at 04:39 PM.

I can't stand merchants that include non commissionable products in feeds. Why is that even acceptable through the networks.

Quote Originally Posted by Prosperent View Post
    I can't stand merchants that include non commissionable products in feeds. Why is that even acceptable through the networks.
    Do networks put up with it or do they just not know about it?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Good question, my guess is they don't know about it. Why would a network promote a merchant's product they get nothing for?

I'll contact my guys at cj and find out. I'll let you know. It's a good question.

Affiliate Manager Kush@VMInnovations's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    I'm pretty sure networks know about it, plus if I recall NewEgg had a paragraph about non-commissionable items in their program overview/TOS for years now.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Last week or so Jimmy Jazz (CJ) changed their terms to include Non-commissionable items. When we asked about if they were in the feed we were told yes. Asked if they were somehow noted in the feed so we could filter them out, we were told "no" but we could use the list provided on CJ.

Told them not going to manually filter them out thereby making their feed useless...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Let's compile a list of merchants we know do this. I will contact them and let them know that Prosperent will be dropping them if they don't take care of it. I'll also talk to the network reps I work with, and as a final step if none of that works, I will call them out publicly. I've done that before and it always works

I agree, and this sounds good, but I have to admit that when there are just a few non-commissionables I put up with it. So take Amazon for instance. I think they are still sending down their non-commissionables in their datafeed, but it is only 26 items out of over what, 90 million? I guess its the ratio that gets me.

So for instance, Buy.com has 767,132 items that they won't compensate for unless you reach $250K in sales for the month. If you reach that sale level they will pay .5%! They own the network though, so not sure any action will get them to change.

Newegg, with the 18,864 0% commission items and the .5% return visitor commission rate is another example.

These two are just using their affiliate program for free advertising and it is painfully obvious. I guess we might be thankful that they are so blatant about it, instead of shaving leads like "I believe" plumbersurplus does.
    Last edited by isellstuff; March 20th, 2013 at 12:14 PM.

21. Thanks From:

Alright guys, i'm going to have a meeting with the head of feeds for cj here soon. What would all of you like to see changed in their feeds? I will of course bring up the non commissionable items, but would be happy to bring up any other issues that affiliates run into regularly. For us, I would love to see more UPC data, better quality images (multiple images).
    Last edited by Prosperent; March 20th, 2013 at 12:51 PM.

So here is what I don't get. If Google Shopping requires UPC codes or Manufacturer and MPN and a CJ merchant is in Google Shopping, why doesn't their CJ datafeed have UPC codes or Manufacturer and MPN? I'd also like everyone to standardize on the Google Shopping taxonomy in their datafeeds. (or standardize on nextags, or any taxonomy)
    Last edited by isellstuff; March 20th, 2013 at 12:49 PM.

24. Thanks From:

That would sure make our lives easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Prosperent View Post
    What would all of you like to see changed in their feeds?
    Mandatory if a merchant puts sizes/colors in their product names to use separate fields for:

• Product names without color/size
    • Color field
    • Size field

27. Thanks From:

Would be nice if merchants would offer multiple feeds/category feeds.

and/or

The ability to only select what category or categories you want out of a feed...

(Some of these merchant feeds are waaaaaaaay too large)

Agreed, it would also be nice if categories were normalized and standardized across the board. It's a nightmare right now.

30. Thanks From:

31. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread