Recipes to replicate Campbells soup or other brands
    Warning: this thread has nothing to do with google panda or affiliate marketing!

This is about soup..

As a child of the 70s, some of my best memories are of weekend lunches that included a bowl of Campbell's soup - and to this day, nothing makes me happier than Campbell's Tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich (made with Kraft slices, of course!).

But I've also been trying to reduce my intake of processed foods over the past few years (they're high in sodium & contain too many chemicals/additives). To that end, I've been looking for recipes to replicate comfort foods of my childhood.

If you like Campbells Bean with Bacon soup (my favourite) here is a recipe that is a PERFECT replica.. right down to the color. I've made this 3 times already, and can't say enough good things about it (just enjoyed a bowl!):
    Recipe Knockoff: Campbell's Bean with Bacon Soup - Food Lush

My next quest is to find a recipe for Campbell's French Canadian Pea Soup.

If anyone has any replica recipes on hand, or knows of a good online resource, I would love to hear it!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I like Bean with bacon soup as well as Split Pea. Problem is no one else in the house will eat them.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Check out TopSecretRecipes.com (they have an affiliate program at SAS).
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

4. Thanks From:

Fantastic website, thanks!!!

The KFC coleslaw looks terrific.. and I may have to make a Cadbury Creme Egg for dessert!

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Warning: this thread has nothing to do with google panda or affiliate marketing!

This is about soup..

As a child of the 70s, some of my best memories are of weekend lunches that included a bowl of Campbell's soup - and to this day, nothing makes me happier than Campbell's Tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich (made with Kraft slices, of course!).

But I've also been trying to reduce my intake of processed foods over the past few years (they're high in sodium & contain too many chemicals/additives). To that end, I've been looking for recipes to replicate comfort foods of my childhood.

If you like Campbells Bean with Bacon soup (my favourite) here is a recipe that is a PERFECT replica.. right down to the color. I've made this 3 times already, and can't say enough good things about it (just enjoyed a bowl!):
    Recipe Knockoff: Campbell's Bean with Bacon Soup - Food Lush

My next quest is to find a recipe for Campbell's French Canadian Pea Soup.

If anyone has any replica recipes on hand, or knows of a good online resource, I would love to hear it!
    Would the soup taste OK without the bacon? I know it defeats the purpose of eating bean w/bacon soup without the bacon but I'm looking for a Kosher version

Bibby, you need to try Litelife SmartBacon meatless bacon. It comes real close to the real flavor and texture (admitting he knows what the real stuff tastes like).

Cook it like bacon and use it just like bacon. It's excellent. There are several other brands of meatless bacon but none that I've tried are as good.

I'm going to be trying the recipe with this stuff and veg broth instead of chicken.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

8. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    Bibby, you need to try Litelife SmartBacon meatless bacon. It comes real close to the real flavor and texture (admitting he knows what the real stuff tastes like).

Cook it like bacon and use it just like bacon. It's excellent. There are several other brands of meatless bacon but none that I've tried are as good.

I'm going to be trying the recipe with this stuff and veg broth instead of chicken.
    Thanks. I will try it and see for myself I actually do know how the real stuff tastes, well kind of. It's been a little over 20 years since I had the real stuff.

Yippy, now I can try that soup. It sounds delicious.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    MorningStar Farms also has a decent product. (Some of their veggie burgers are pretty good, too)...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

11. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    MorningStar Farms also has a decent product. (Some of their veggie burgers are pretty good, too)...
    Thanks for the info. I've had MorningStar veggie burgers and I like them. I will try MorningStar as well.

Morningstar products though vegetarian are generally not vegan. Vegans need to read the labels carefully. The best commercial vegan burgers are made by Gardein.

14. Thanks From:

veg broth instead of chicken
    Good suggestion - I've actually made it with both, and couldn't tell the difference! Recently made my own broth last weekend (a first for me) - it was surprisingly easy, and the soup tasted even better.

And these are the organic beans used:
    http://www.edenfoods.com/store/produ...ucts_id=102957

Hmm...makes me look forward to winter, which is just around the corner for us here in Australia.
    We also like eating bean and ham soup here in our house. I ALWAYS have to give soups that extra "customization"just can't help myself.

With my recipe I add a mixture or beans, a bacon hock, lentils, bok choy, celery, garlic, black pepper, potatoes, split peas (yellow work best) and parsnip. Throw it all into a crock pot, cover with water and wait for about 6 hours...yum. Remove parsnip before eating if you like.

Great thread. I'd definitely try these out!

I've never tried Gardein. Are they expensive compared to other brands?

Gardein has a great line of vegan meatless products, including the absolute BEST faux fish, their chicken scallopini, which is a great replacement for most any chicken-breast recipe, and meatballs, and others. They are very reasonably priced compared to other vegan brands, and are often on sale. And, if you sign up online with them, you get coupons every few weeks. These products I mentioned are all frozen - they used to also have a line of deli-case type products but I have not seen those in any store for a couple of years now. We use to get their Riblets, very similar to the "meat" in McRib, which were fabulous, but they do not seem to be available anymore, at least around here.

Edit to add: Almost forgot two other great Gardein products: Meatless Meatloaf and Turk'y Cutlets.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; September 26th, 2015 at 03:34 PM. Reason: add

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread