Viglink and monetiziation of coupon sites
    Hi,

Searched around to see if this has already been talked about. Didn't see any matches.

I just got a transaction through VigLink for a coupon site they monetized. Didn't know that was even possible My policy has been pretty open for coupons and now it'll have to change.

We run our program through ShareASale. I thought I was safe because coupon affiliates generally just get our affiliate channel coupon codes and will get commission if said codes/links are used. I like the idea of VigLink (probably more of a boon for Affiliates, though), but I thought this in particular was a little underhanded: the coupon link on this client's coupon site was actually just one of our generic links. That is, VigLink's javacode or whatever just took this coupon link (presumably it just went to our homepage before VigLink automatically changed it) and replaced it with one of our more generic links.

Any thoughts? Is this pretty standard? Did I get the gist across?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Yes, an affiliate of Skimlinks used a generic link to make a sale which you don't approve of. You can ask Skimlinks to boot them and deny the commission or you can boot Skimlinks.

Thanks for the quick response, Chuck. Do you think it's reasonable to deny the commission? That is, do you think generic linking coupon codes is a "proper" practice?

adjust the commission to match your coupon-site rate. add that website to a list of coupon sites.

the reason for viglink use in that situation does not have to be underhanded. it could have been simply a timesaver. using basic links on a page with viglink/skimlinks (VL/SL) can save time because the links don't have to be updated every time a merchant changes affiliate codes or coupon codes.

that can be a significant timesaver if an affiliate uses many websites, many pages, and many different merchants.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Yes, an affiliate of Skimlinks used a generic link to make a sale which you don't approve of. You can ask Skimlinks to boot them and deny the commission or you can boot Skimlinks.

whoa, nellie!

the OP said viglink , not skimlinks

also, I think working with VL to negate or adjust the commission rate for a particular website would be better than totally withdrawing from VL, or trying to get VL to boot an affiliate.
    The internet is a fad.

Ok, thanks for the input Gibson! Yeah, I don't want to burn any bridges straight away with VigLink or this coupon affiliate of theirs. It did freak me out as a somewhat novice affiliate marketer.

I think I'll just manual override to our coupon rate. And, did I get this right, tell VigLink to adjust the commission rate too for this particular site?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    do you think generic linking coupon codes is a "proper" practice?
    Unless you specifically state that only coupon codes issued through the affiliate program are ONLY acceptable for affiliates to use then you owe the affiliate a commission.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread