Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Heads up to all merchants
    If you are including non commissionable items in your datafeed, we are dropping you.

Just had two more large automotive merchants shoot us an e-mail letting us know that they aren't paying commissions for tires and wheels even though they appear to be included in their feed. Waiting to hear back from them now to verify before removal. Last week we dropped Newegg (TigerDirect should be happy).

It is completely unacceptable for any merchant to include anything that can not earn an affiliate money in an affiliate datafeed!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Just received the updated terms from APW - 0% on Tires and Wheels...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Yep, and no response to my e-mail. Time to send a message and drop them. Plenty of other places sell auto parts online.

Marketing Manager
    This is a good move. It's pretty sleazy to include non-commission items in a data feed.

5. Thanks From:

Cheers to fighting the good fight!!

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    If properly labeled (and I understand that wasn't the case here) in the Datafeed as 0% commission items...

Would you rather ...

a) have them included and decide on your own whether to delete them from your site or include them in a different way

or

b) have them automatically not included in the feed.

again - this assumes properly labeled items as non-commission able, within the feed itself...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale View Post
    a) have them included and decide on your own whether to delete them from your site or include them in a different way

again - this assumes properly labeled items as non-commission able, within the feed itself...
    Choices are always best...

If there were a specific column that we could use, or a flag in the datafeed, it would make things easy on our end. We could look for it at import and decide if we want to import it or not. I think the option would be best in case an affiliate does use the data in some way.

As many items automatically pop up on datafeeds that automatically generate additional pages (PopShops, for example, I'm sure Prosperent is another), they shouldn't be included. There is no way to delete or exclude them. I do enough what I call "free advertising" for merchants that I lose commissions to ebates, etc.
    Rene
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

11. Thanks From:

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    JoyUnltd,

I agree it is an issue, I would probably argue that it is the responsibility of the Tool (Popshops, Prosperent, etc...) to weed those out for you if you so choose... If (again this is a big if) there is proper information provided in the datafeed with regards to what items have 0%.

I can definitely see scenarios where Affiliates would still want to promote those products - and of course also can see the scenario where an Affiliate would want them removed/deleted.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

I would love to be able to filter them, but as of now, no network provides commission data in a feed. Instead, we drop the merchant.

14. Thanks From:

I can definitely see scenarios where Affiliates would still want to promote those products.
    I've been sitting here thinking about it for a while now. I can't think of a scenario where an affiliate would want to promote a product for free. Isn't that the point of an affiliate and an affiliate network?

Just curious if anyone actually does that? (seriously)

I sort-of do that with a couple of golf domains. At one time there was a fabulous golf travel booking engine - but that went belly-up a long time ago when the bubble burst. I haven't been able to find a decent replacement but I still provide info/content and links to courses on those domains - and have been effectively monetizing with AdSense. When I find the time I plan to swap in some Prosperent ads and see what happens.

I can think of a couple other scenarios where it could work. However, for the most part I believe those particular merchants are being shrewd. They've got to believe most affiliates will never notice the difference - and they are likely correct.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

17. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Prosperent View Post
    I've been sitting here thinking about it for a while now. I can't think of a scenario where an affiliate would want to promote a product for free.
    There are some exceptions to that rule, but with all of the bad seeds you can find on almost any network, there is NFW that I would like to add a bunch of products from a datafeed from any merchant, and not make any money with those products while someone else does...
    Isn't that the point of an affiliate and an affiliate network?

Just curious if anyone actually does that? (seriously)
    Exactly!

If I really like a product and I would like to promote it for free, I sure would not need a datafeed or a network to do it.

We the honest affiliates have enough shit to worry about as it's already, to also have to deal with merchants that may like to add non commissionable products to their datafeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Just received the updated terms from APW - 0% on Tires and Wheels...
    At least I appreciate that email from APW.

Again, let us be clear that we do not give commissions to tire and wheel sales.
    At least APW let me know about it in advance, and not after I may have send some possible customers there, For Free!

It is completely unacceptable for any merchant to include anything that can not earn an affiliate money in an affiliate datafeed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post
    If I really like a product and I would like to promote it for free, I sure would not need a datafeed or a network to do it.
    Believe that's the long and the short of it...

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    OK, OK. on the hey what do you mean there are products in a datafeed that aren't commissionable and you want to make it clear to the merchant that this isn't right then you are right derlete that merchant, no problem.

If there is a merchant that decides certain problems aren't commissionable puts it in a datafeed, but there is no way of telling and/or this list changes all the time then once again delete them.

But if the merchant puts things in the datafeed that isn't commissionable but spells it out up front such as tires are never commissionable or I have seen much more often gift cards aren't commisisonable then if you are using the datafeed you should have enough sophistication to filter those products without too much trouble. If you know that tires are never commisisonable you can either ignore this merchant forever or simply filter the ever product that contains the word tires (or the tires category). If its a long silly list of what is and what is not commissionable then that might not be worth your effort.

Do what you want, but I think a blanket statement that you will never promote a merchant that had any non-commissionable products in their datafeed is silly whereas a statement that assuming one can distinguish the which are the commissionable products we will one promote' the commissionable ones. I think this is a better policy.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Sorry, but I disagree. If we have to go through the terms for each merchant and determine if there is a vague keyword we can attempt to filter, it isn't worth it. I would rather take a solid stance and set an industry standard. There needs to be a clear indication via a field in the datafeed when there are non commissionable products. Anything short of that is unacceptable. We work with thousands of merchants, so keeping up with terms is a near impossibility already.

BTW, we hard that newegg is going to start making their non commissionable products clear in their feed. Not sure if it will be a field, or flag yet, but it is being worked on.

See! Taking a stand does work!

22. Thanks From:

This one particular merchant had 13K+ items. Good chance that since rims are very popular, that the merchant will be getting a sale for them based on your traffic.

For example, had a customer today get to a merchant through a kitchen appliance link. They didn't buy any appliances - they bought toilet paper rolls and bathroom fixtures lol.

13K items is ridiculous - especially in a popular niche.

Another merchant we are promoting added 250+ shoes to their zero commission list. No way to automatically filter them - so we chose only to promote their women's clothing. Crossover possible? Yes, but the chance is smaller based on the total number of items in the feed and the total number of zero commish items...

if someone clicks on a zero-commission item , is an affiliate cookie still set ? (which works for other items)

couldn't the merchants make two data feeds available? one for commission items only, the other has everything.
    The internet is a fad.

Separate feeds work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gibson View Post
    if someone clicks on a zero-commission item , is an affiliate cookie still set ? (which works for other items)
    Yes. However, what if that merchant has a single occurrence per cookie? Once they buy a non-commish item, your S.O.L.

Quote Originally Posted by gibson View Post
    couldn't the merchants make two data feeds available? one for commission items only, the other has everything.
    They could, but if they were a single occurrence merchant, still wouldn't want to promote them with non-commish items...

27. Thanks From:

Bottom line, it would be better if the merchant offered SOMETHING as a commission in their affiliate programs. Make it .25%, just don't make it zero. If you have it on your site, pay us for selling it!

29. Thanks From:

Have them automatically not included in the feed.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Yes. However, what if that merchant has a single occurrence per cookie? Once they buy a non-commish item, your S.O.L.
    OT, but l learned a new, useful acronym.
    Rene
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

b) have them automatically not included in the feed.
    My price comparison website would always want them deleted and also, I would request that the merchant be flogged in the public square.

33. Thanks From:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast