The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    ViewThrough Model
    I received the below email and after a few minutes, I replied this is what I said, does anyone agree?

-----------------
    Sorry, not part of my business plan. Thinking about this, this isn't a good thing, it means a clicked cookie (which is much more substantial) could get wiped away by a site who just happened to have a banner on their site that might not even be seen or is conglomerated/lost with a bunch of banners on a page that a visitor might be passing through.

I also think since you asked ;-) well not but you can't stop me from thinking and putting it out here, this is the type of marketing that google is trying to stop. They want substantial sites with lots of content, not sites with lots of ads that affiliates put on in hopes of setting a cookie. If a visitor never clicked on the banner than what has the affiliate really done to gain the next sale.

Thank you for your offer,
    Mike
    -----------------

Original email
    I hope this email finds you well. On behalf of the affiliate program, we would like to exclusively invite you to join the program and partner together on a ViewThrough Model basis. With ViewThrough, you are able to use your remnant ad space and earn commissions on the sales that are attributed to those last viewed banners by your customers. ViewThrough enables you to drop the cookie more often which will help capture more sales throughout the purchase life cycle.

ViewThrough Payout Structure

Cookies drops for each impression!

5% Commission, with a 7 Day referral period

Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

I received a similar email today, but haven't yet formed a proper opinion.

At first glance I'm not sure I understand the technology (as a disclaimer, I'm having a slow mental day!).

How is this different from regular banners that we place on our site..? A cookie is a cookie is a cookie... when clicked, that is..

Are they saying the impression drops a cookie..?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Is this something new at CJ?

I actually was reading an offer from an exisiting merchant and saw they added: "ViewThrough Campaigns" to their TOS. Came back to ABW and searched for "ViewThrough" - here I am.

ViewThrough Campaigns
    Guidelines relating to ViewThrough campaigns such as minimum banner size, ad reload, and 'above the fold' ad placement.

Merchant's Terms: Must have impression tracking enabled and must use banners for display.
    Are they serious? Cookie stuffing?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Hey Oranges, same merchant. Just pulled this afternoon's emails...

Convergence, Cool that you read your own emails ;-) I don't always give each of them the attention they deserve.

teezone: yes that is what I think this is saying, impressions = cookies regardless of clicking. At least that is what I am posting about.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Any affiliate managers with programs on CJ that can elaborate on this "ViewThrough Campaigns" being offered?

7. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Looks like this was implemented a year ago, first I have heard of it. Looks like a retargeting strategy. We discounted CPC 10 years ago because it was gamed heavily by affiliates. Not sure why I would allow an affiliate to drop a cookie just for showing a banner unless I wanted to milk the merchant.

Sounds like cookie stuffing to me....

Could actually be useful for real big brands. Where if you have a huge animated banner attracting the user to visit the brand and they decide to just visit the site without clicking the ad. Plus it says it doesn't overwrite any cookies where someone clicked.

What's interesting is that these networks don't allow you to send them ppv traffic, yet they are now offering ppv themselves.

Actually CJ has a page about this: ViewThrough Ad Tracking | Commission Junction US

Clicks always trump impressions, but in the absence of a click, the publisher who displayed that last impression is paid the commission.
    I have talked to many companies over the years who want to pitch display advertising. Would pass on to the merchant but they seldom took advantage because they wanted to be able to track ROI. This is the first I have seen in how to tie display to ROI.

Interesting.

Don't really know how we would implement it - we don't put actual banner code on our sites. We host all images through our ad server, so no cookie is associated with any banner.

Hmmm. Guess "could" serve up html banners. However, from past experience don't like the idea of merchants being able to change out the banner images on a whim...

I've had programs with blogs and forums that send tons of images but few if any clicks. Have not found a good working model as a work around and they generally leave due to lack of conversion. This is a great way to reward them otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    I've had programs with blogs and forums that send tons of images but few if any clicks. Have not found a good working model as a work around and they generally leave due to lack of conversion. This is a great way to reward them otherwise.
    I agree, but is it sustainable long term? Is there any actual value for the merchants? In my experience running an ad network, I would say no. It's pretty unlikely that any of that traffic will result in adding monetary value to the merchant at the end of the day. Tough problem to crack (I know, we've been working on it for 4 years )

It lends itself to the attribution model that many are working on. Only way to know if it is effective is to test it, analyze the data and see if it increases sales.

Does participating in such a program change your status?

IE: Disclosure of Promotional Methods

Attached Images Attached Images

I haven't seen anything in recent applications but not sure if I would have to have that added to a program to see potential affiliates.

It seems to me that the affiliates that do get a click have done more work (or at least defined work) than those who don't get a click. Just because you got an impression doesn't mean you have done anything to generate a sale. That is also not necessarily true when you get a click but at least it is something. But for a site that gets the last impression get the sale doesn't seem right.

If a merchant wants to keep a blogger (or any other site) that gets lots of impressions not clicks then they can pay them per impression. I don't recommend this but at least its fair to everyone. Cookie setting should be based upon clicks not impressions.

Also, those impressions are based upon an invisible 1x1 image. An affiliate could simply put hundreds of them on a page to get those cookies so as to not clutter their pages with irrelevant banners. I can see it now, on a page I could have a banner that changes dynamically but all the impressions are set regardless. If a merchant visits the page and asks about it the affiliate says well the banners change all the time click it enough and you'll find yours which is true but disingenuous.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Quote Originally Posted by oranges View Post
    this is the type of marketing that google is trying to stop. They want substantial sites with lots of content, not sites with lots of ads that affiliates put on in hopes of setting a cookie.
    IMO, not a good argument against the proposal. How you use the tool is up to you. G does not design your website. You can make a quality site, or you can make a crap site.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Looks like this was implemented a year ago,
    Has no one been using it? Seems like someone here would have tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by oranges View Post
    Cookie setting should be based upon clicks not impressions.
    The merchant can make that decision. It's their money to spend. Informed affiliates can make their decision to participate or not.
    The internet is a fad.

Quote Originally Posted by gibson View Post
    Has no one been using it? Seems like someone here would have tried it.
    Have not and this is the first we've heard of it - just don't like the "feel" of it...

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread