Identifying SAS Affiliates
    Hi there, I'm a newbie to the forum. This is my first post.

I'm in the process of ramping our affiliate program with SAS and I have a few questions on identifying high-calibre affliates. Without boring everyone with the usual recruitment tactics I"m using that are already well covered in this forum, I have two specific questions.

(1) Finding Existing SAS Affiliates. Is the Affiliate Aquarium 'People Search' the only search tool that allows you to do this? I find it a bit clumsy, and whenever I enter in a fairly broad keyword (e.g. tech or PC or webcam) I get a small number of search returns. When I narrow the search it returns virtually nothing. Is this the only search tool available? What am I missing?

(2) Recruiting Outside the Network. I have lots of targets affiliates sites whose content is a good match for our service, yet everytime I find one of these sites through web searching, they never seem to be a SAS Affiliate. So my questions are: (a) am I searching SAS correctly (see #1 above), and (b) how hard is it to convince a blog (for example) to sign-up as a SAS affiliate? Let's say I approach them, they love our offers and service, think it's a great match... but they're not a SAS affiliate, is that a showstopper or standard practice for them to quickly sign-up?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1. You aren't missing anything.
    2. Standard practice. Just walk them through the process of how to join the network, then join your program.

It's trial and error. There is not set formula when you do it on your own.

Good luck.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Thanks for the feedback.

Don't mind slogging it out, that's the way most channel development works. Just their search tools leave quite a bit to be desired.

Onward...

4. Thanks From:

Never give up on recruiting and make sure your site converts for affiliates.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

Greg Hoffman

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    There are three steps:
    Recruit, success factor is they joined, doesn't mean they will send traffic or make sales.
    Activate, they have joined, now you need to motivate them to send traffic.
    Optimize, they are sending traffic but not converting, figure out why and help them to convert.

If you have a blogger who isn't familiar with affiliate marketing then you may have to walk them through the process and train them. Do a screen cast showing them how to get links or point them to network training. Review their site, suggest where to put links/banners then test those when they add them.

If it were easy then monkeys could do it!

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Chuck. I fully expect to have some on-boarding work, just want to make sure I'm efficiently mining for potential affiliates with the right SAS tools.

Frankly, good ol' Google is a better way to find candidates...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    If it were easy then monkeys could do it!
    Did you just call me a monkey? That's Mr. Gorilla to you, sir.
    Greg Hoffman

11. Thanks From:

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Hey don't put down those monkeys, its always an infinite amount of monkeys on an infinite amount of typewriters writing Hamlet. It seems that an invitite amount of cows don't do much...well I suppose with an infinite amount of cows you could infinitie burgers...who needs Hamlet rewritten anyway.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

I remember a cocky VP when I was in manufacturing saying we could send a bunch of branch monkeys to service equipment. Next month he was begging me to get more people trained. Guess the branch monkeys didn't have a clue and it wasn't such an easy job. That's why suits need to stay at corporate!

Affiliate Manager
    If you have a blogger who isn't familiar with affiliate marketing then you may have to walk them through the process and train them. Do a screen cast showing them how to get links or point them to network training. Review their site, suggest where to put links/banners then test those when they add them.
    This can sometimes turn into a pretty time consuming process, but Chuck is right. Do your best to be patient with them. Two of my top performing publishers had no idea what affiliate marketing was before I recruited/trained them and now they drive a ton of traffic and sales to our site. I've also done a few intro webinars for new affiliates that have been very helpful for them.
    Last edited by MikeHourigan; April 4th, 2013 at 04:43 PM.
    Mike Hourigan
    Affiliate Manager for [URL="http://www.shoeboxed.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=signature%2B&utm_campaign=abestweb"]Shoeboxed.com[/URL]
    [EMAIL="mikeh@team.shoeboxed.com"]Email[/EMAIL]|[URL="http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=131457835&trk=tab_pro"]LinkedIn[/URL]

I use GoToMeeting extensively for conference calls but also for training. I pay $40/month. Am looking at another solution that is more capable and less cost. Send me an email if interested.

Am always interested in doing newbie training so if you and a few AMs are interested we can do an intro screen cast together and post the podcast.

16. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Am always interested in doing newbie training so if you and a few AMs are interested we can do an intro screen cast together and post the podcast.
    Count me in
    Mike Hourigan
    Affiliate Manager for [URL="http://www.shoeboxed.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=signature%2B&utm_campaign=abestweb"]Shoeboxed.com[/URL]
    [EMAIL="mikeh@team.shoeboxed.com"]Email[/EMAIL]|[URL="http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=131457835&trk=tab_pro"]LinkedIn[/URL]

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    I use GoToMeeting extensively for conference calls but also for training. I pay $40/month.
    TeamViewer.com
    Join.me
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

19. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHourigan View Post
    This can sometimes turn into a pretty time consuming process, but Chuck is right. Do your best to be patient with them. Two of my top performing publishers had no idea what affiliate marketing was before I recruited/trained them and now they drive a ton of traffic and sales to our site. I've also done a few intro webinars for new affiliates that have been very helpful for them.
    This is good feedback. Based on the quality of affiliate targets I'm finding in Aquarium searches (see my original post), it feels like I'll need to target outside of the network.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread