The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Was this an appropriate responce to my email?
    The thread I stated yesterday was because of a response I got to an email I sent to a merchant. I thought the response was totally inappropriate especially since the merchant is multi-billion dollar company...well I don't know what they are worth anymore, maybe bankruptcy is in their future, but they are very well known. And the AM is one of the major networks. I am going to leave all the specific names out although I really want to name names...but that is just being vendictive.

Here is the email I sent
    A while back I asked to join your affiliate program and was offer was declined. Can you please explain what is wrong with my site -namewithheld- to have it rejected from your program. Even though the site is called -namewithheld- it contains all types of -productswithheld- from scores of merchants. But it is even more of a match with -namewithheld- since sears does specifically sells -subgroup of products withheld-.
    This is their response which took several days but I think no response would ahve been better than this. Since didn't recieve any real information back.
    We regret to inform you that -namewithheld- has chosen not to accept you into the affiliate program at this time. The reason for this decision may be due to one or several of the following:

* inability to access Web site/site not live

* invalid email address

* traffic levels too low

* difficulty understanding how our brand will be promoted

* non-domain specific email address

* site hosted by 3rd party

Though we donít see your site as a good fit for our program today, feel free to re-apply when you have been able to address the concern(s) listed above.

Best regards,
    -namewithheld- Affiliate Team
    None of those concerns except traffic apply to my site.
    1) If my site was down I wish you could have told me
    2) Well you emailed me back so that isn't it ;-)
    3) Yeah so, that means I can't hurt you epc can it ;-)
    4) I described this in my email
    5) What are you talking about? You want my email to change depending upon which site I want to promote to a certain merchant? Or are you saying you don't trust me because of my email. How will changing my email address inspire more trust
    6) Nope I own it.

So I sent a specific email as a professional requesting an exact reason and I got a form letter that told me nothing and you think this doesn't make the network who is running the program and the merchant look bad. Would it have been so had to say, You have to 100,000 visitors a day, week month whatever. I might not agree (as I don't) but at least then I would have a real answer and could decide when I get to that threshold what to do.

All I have now is a form letter that makes the sender look so bad, that I am posting it here which if I was vendictive as I said about could hurt their program.....

Oh did I say that they used to belong to another network and that I was affiliated with them there and did make several sales, but when they moved suddenly I didn't have enough traffic for them or the above other reasons.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Oops - you left their name in...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

* non-domain specific email address
    that does sound like they prefer an email address that matches the website domain.

or, could it mean they don't want affiliates that use free email accounts?
    The internet is a fad.

Convergence, darn I missed one, I am sorry that was an oversight. But that being said how come they have a problem and Macys which is doing much better let me in with open arms. (JCP won't even let me apply)

I don't have a free email account. I have paid for this email for over 10 years. Even though I switched isps a long time ago. My isp may change from verizon, to AT&T to whatever by my email address always stays the same.

Also, I have many websites, you think I would be more impressive if my email address was moo@cowdance.com?
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

A form letter response several days later? Really?
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Give me a second to look up the time frame....-plays jeopardy theme-

I emailed them Saturday March 23rd and received the above email Apr 2nd.

Would I lie to you?

Checking the calendar and I know this is a coincidence, but I did email them the Saturday before passover which began Monday night and they replied on the last day of passover which was yesterday.
    Last edited by oranges; April 3rd, 2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Adding passover reference
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

I'm just appalled at bad management stories.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

8. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    I'm just appalled at bad management stories.
    Well I've noticed that those programs on CJ that are either run by CJ or have dedicated account managers who are employed by CJ - typically SUCK...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

It's very rare to find an affiliate program for a large company that's well run. With most, it's hard to find anyone to communicate with. Emails come from "The Affiliate Team". Commissions are often ridiculously low. Return days are often very short. Conversion ratios are very, very low. They're usually packed full of every parasite around. There are exceptions, but they're rare.

Unless you HAVE to work with them, you're much better off working with smaller and medium sized merchants.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I would just move on, obviously they are not worth your time and it doesn't seem to be you will lose too much in sales. There are thousands of other merchants that you can work with that will appreciate your business and make your life enjoyable.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

12. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    That is definitely a sign of poor customer service and its obvious the merchant does not care for its affiliates

Affiliate Manager BretLiquidweb's Avatar
    I find when I use programs. For putting ads retail I always test them out by calling. I'm not expecting to get through to the referral manager right away but if I can't talk to someone within a few business days I know this isn't for me.
    Bret Hitchcock | Liquid Web Affiliate Manager
    800-580-4985 ext 2196
    Join Liquid Web's Affiliate Program!

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread