ABW Ambassador
    Why Would I Get Welcome Emails from Merchants I've Never Applied?
    Not very often, but once in a while I will get some strange welcome emails from merchants I've never applied. The most recent one was from a CJ merchant.

In all cases, I just went ahead and expire them right away. But I'm wondering if other affiliates have had the same problem.

How could this happen? Do merchants have access to affiliates' accounts to "apply and accept" programs?

(Edit: Sorry, the title should be "Applied" instead of "Replied". Mods, could you please edit it? Thanks)

If only I had that kind of evil power.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

3. Thanks From:

I once had an email argument with LS support - in NO uncertain terms did I join a program or accept a private offer across two (unrelated!) channels. They insisted I did... as that was the only way it could have happened.

So yes, I have seen it happen a few times.. not often, but there must be some technical bug that makes it possible.

Yes, I've had it happen in both CJ and LS. I've always just expired them. Whenever it happened I just assumed that it was a network managed program and that the network was trying to pad it's recruitment numbers.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    Yes, I've had it happen in both CJ and LS. I've always just expired them. Whenever it happened I just assumed that it was a network managed program and that the network was trying to pad it's recruitment numbers.

-rematt
    I think that might be the case.

Network shouldn't allow their reps do this. Not only it annoys me especially when the program not even close to my niches, it also make the merchant looks desperate. Plus, the merchant might wonder why I "joined" and "expired" their program the same day.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    On a similar issue, I sometimes get program update messages from GAN merchants I had applied to but was declined. It's probably a glitch at GAN email service, but it doesn't happen often so why complain.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

8. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oranges View Post
    On a similar issue, I sometimes get program update messages from GAN merchants I had applied to but was declined. It's probably a glitch at GAN email service, but it doesn't happen often so why complain.
    Ditto...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Both CJ and LS have the functionality to push an affiliate an offer and email them directly. If I find your site via search and can pick off your PID/SID number I will push you an offer via the network and email you either directly or via the mail interface.

I have affiliate accounts on all networks that I use to verify links. I get solicitations regularly via mostly CJ and click the link to not receive any more emails from that advertiser. They are evidently paid recruitment campaigns booked through the network.

I will push you an offer via the network and email you either directly or via the mail interface
    Chuck, what we're talking about here is more than an offer from the merchant/OPM - it's an actual "welcome to the program" email. The type of email that you only receive after accepting an offer, or applying to a program.

And when you log into the network interface, your account has mysteriously joined that program..

I've had this happen with a few merchants over 5 years. Never occurred to me it was recruitment manipulation, as Rematt suggested.. and that makes sense.

12. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Sounds like a network manipulation

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread