Does SEO depend on SMO?
    I am a traditional seo marketer used to the importance of backlinks.
    I recently ran into a website [removed reference] that ranks website according to the amount of mentioning on social networks such as facebook, twitter, pinterest, linkedin ....
    In their about us, they claim that these measurements also influence SEO.
    How much is there really to this claim.
    Any one?
    Last edited by teezone; April 8th, 2013 at 11:37 PM. Reason: removed site name

A social presence should be a part of webmaster's SEO strategy..

Google takes social signals into consideration - but just how much they look at it for ranking is anyone's guess.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Haven't seen where the Google ADMITS that social signals are a factor. However, the Google did say that in the future G+ may play more of a role...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

since I had to look it up, I might as well state it here for the general public.

"smo" appears to mean "social media optimization".

carry on.
    The internet is a fad.

Quote Originally Posted by gibson View Post
    since I had to look it up, I might as well state it here for the general public.

"smo" appears to mean "social media optimization".

carry on.
    You're a mind reader. Thanks.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Google is definitely taking a hard stand on poor quality backlinks, even unintentioned ones, so that's making things more complicated for sure.

To concur with Convergence, Google has indeed implied repeatedly that use of Google Plus will be incorporated in rankings. It's their way to force us to use that product in their quest for world domination. I think that now to have a comprehensive SEO strategy, one must include an SMO strategy as well, or your rankings will definitely be hurt.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

7. Thanks From:

Marketing Manager
    Social probably helps a small amount for normal search rankings. It becomes very, very important for QDF (Query Deserves Freshness) queries. Social signals can be measured much more quickly than link signals which is why they become more important.

One example of this would be a query like [North Korea]. There are a lot of news stories breaking right now about North Korea and many of those articles won't have a lot of links. However I do see an article by CNN that was published yesterday ranking on the first page.

9. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager Kush@VMInnovations's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Grimm View Post
    Social probably helps a small amount for normal search rankings. It becomes very, very important for QDF (Query Deserves Freshness) queries. Social signals can be measured much more quickly than link signals which is why they become more important.

One example of this would be a query like [North Korea]. There are a lot of news stories breaking right now about North Korea and many of those articles won't have a lot of links. However I do see an article by CNN that was published yesterday ranking on the first page.
    +1.

If you tweet out your blog post/article it'll be indexed and start showing up on search results within minutes/hours. Otherwise it might take days for G to crawl and find your article/blog on its own.

11. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread