Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    eBay Changing Compensation Structure
    Another change in the works, eBay is going to devalue repeat business and reward new and infrequent customers. I'm guessing if you have an eBay site focused on a collectible niche, this can't be good news.

New Pricing to Be Announced at eBay Partner Network | eBay Partner Network Blog

2. Thanks From:

Someone on the EPN forum is claiming they will roll begin to roll this out on April 15th. Reports have been super late the last few days, so I'm guessing they are running two sets of algorithms as they prepare for the roll-out.

I haven't heard anything flattering about the new QCP-2. I was pretty skeptical of the original QCP, but I ended up doing much better than the pre-QCP compensation structure.

I've been looking at my ACRU's though and they aren't all that great when taken as a percentage of winning bids. What really bugs me is that my ACRU's are only 50% of my CRU's. So 50% of the people create accounts but don't bid??? Is that because it is too hard to figure out the payment & delivery methodology?

I am sure they won't tell, but I would like to know if they expect to pay out less under their new system.
    The internet is a fad.

I believe they are reacting to this research:

EBay Study Questions Advertising On Google Google AdWords forum at WebmasterWorld

They basically ran an experiment that showed that running PPC ads was just costing them money on traffic that they would have received anyway. If we are lucky, then they will put their PPC dollars in to their affiliate program. I'm guessing they have made another assumption and determined that their affiliate program follows the same trend as their PPC and will want to cut spending on it as well.

visiting this section after long time...but this is good news for affiliates. This should FORCE them to move to promote different affiliates.

Huh?

8. Thanks From:

EPN did change their structure again this pas summer.. nothing obvious but my EPC has been much higher since the change.

10. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by martyogelvie View Post
    EPN did change their structure again this pas summer.. nothing obvious but my EPC has been much higher since the change.
    My revenue is up to, but I'm pretty sure it is the result of the rollout of a fix to a long standing bug on June 7th.

I was initially blown away by the incredibly large "Make Good" payment I received on June 7th, but now that I have seen how much my revenue jumped after the bug fix, I think I was underpaid, given the fact that the bug has been in place for more than a year.

I'm pretty sure the advertised "down time" for EPN in September (postponed from August), is the rollout of code for their new QCP-2 structure. It will be interesting to see how it affects my earnings. I know QCP-2 was rolled out to select affiliates already and they have seen a drastic reduction in commissions (up to 75%). These were affiliates with an established user base who shopped on eBay frequently.

ABW Ambassador
    It most likely will go down for most and especially overall. They're not going to make any changes that result in them paying out more. It's the same with this pumped up attribution going around now, being pushed by merchants and some networks. It's not to pay out more to affiliates.

Think last month sometime, they added the User Frequency 1, 2 or 3, so you can get a feel if your traffic is more frequent users or new. And as isellstuff said, I read on their forums it's supposed to happen sometime in September.

Another pay change on Oct 1st. Seems like they going back to the way it was before paying on winning bids and new accounts or renewed accounts. no more EPC.. from what I gather in the latest email from them... also each catagory has its own pay structure.. vs the same across the board.

You missed the most important part, one day cookie now.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby131313 View Post
    You missed the most important part, one day cookie now.
    Yeah, the 24 hour cookie hit me pretty hard. I spent the entire morning yesterday calculating out how my commissions would change under the new scheme. The biggest hit was from the 24 hour cookie. Expensive purchases have a longer buying cycle.

Near as I can tell, this new scheme is worse than QCP or pre-QCP for me. The shorter cookie duration is the reason why.

Affiliate Manager Kush@VMInnovations's Avatar
    I'd guesstimate that's a 10-20% cut in commissions, ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Kush@VMInnovations View Post
    yeah, or even higher...

And you'd be low.

Thanks, y'all, for alerting me to the one-day cookie. That's a deal-breaker for me.

I have a micro-niche collectibles site that used to be focused on surfacing auctions for what I believed to be some of the most interesting and hard-to-find items in the niche. Those are nearly always 10 day auctions. I was already bitter over the 7 day cookie, but a one-day cookie is unacceptable.

In the past (back when ebay offered ACRUs) I rarely ever earned those, so I have a pretty good idea that the traffic to this particular site consists of ebay enthusiasts. No big surprise considering ebay is one of the easiest places to find items in said niche (-- but not the only place.)

I'm pulling my ebay links down. Makes me sad to do it, but I'm not sending any more good-converting traffic to their leakier-than-leaky site with a lousy one-day cookie attached to the deal. I'd have to be a real sucker to even consider it.

Ebay keeps trying to be Amazon. Problem is, Ebay isn't Amazon. I continue to be disappointed that they keep distancing themselves from what made them a great site to start with.

I forgot to say, that when I was actively monitoring the auctions in the category, nearly all activity to said auctions was "snipe" activity -- meaning that the bids all tend to happen in the last few minutes of the auction. I haven't been paying much attention lately, but I have no solid reason to believe that pattern has changed.

21. Thanks From:

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    EPC was a terrible decision. Have they had a change of guard in the affiliate management department. Things got so silly there. I left because even though they paid out to EU via IBAN accounts they wouldn't pay out to Switzerland.

I explained to the person in an email that Switzerland was on the same banking system as Germany, France etc, and that if he told management that, they'd probably allow it, but he told me in no uncertain terms that he wasn't prepared to expend any calories alerting the higher-up's to that fact. "The rules are the rules", so a 5-6 figure per year affiliate was unceremoniously dumped. Sigh. That was after having to put up with being shuttled from CJ to PJ to eBay programs, having to jump through hoops each time.

Amy, you could consider only showing eBay auctions on your site once they were within 24 hours of closing.

October 1 - $0.00
    October 2 - $0.00
    Anyone else wondering WTF is going on with the eBay partner program?
    I've have a history of getting screwed by these guys, but this is just plain stupid.

ABW Ambassador
    Somebody from ebay posted about it in their forum:

"Click data for Oct. 1st and 2nd will be updated in the web interface and available to publishers by October 14th."

Re: Click Data Update 10/4 - The eBay Community

25. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    Anyone else wondering WTF is going on with the eBay partner program?
    I'm pretty sure they believe they were wasting money paying for users that would have gone to ebay anyway. When they originally announced the commission change, the backlash was intense. I suspect they switched their strategy a bit after the "EPN survey" that went out. I would guess that the 24 hour cookie was a "compromise" to what they were originally thinking, e.g. only compensate for new and infrequent shoppers. (type 1's and 2's).

As I mentioned previously, the trouble started when eBay commissioned this study. You can envision their train of thought... Are we paying for people who would find us anyway because either we rank in the SERPS or because we have brand name recognition and everyone shops for collectible widgets on our site anyway.

All just speculation on my part of course... I guess I was originally prepared for much worse than the current predicament. (which isn't very good)

I should also mention that I think eBay's logic on scaling back on paid placement is quite flawed. Unfortunately, they won't realize it for a year or two...

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    As I mentioned previously, the trouble started when eBay commissioned this study.
    Interesting! So at least I understand why now. They ARE trying to wipe out our earnings and it's NOT going to change. Thank you for posting this. There was so much trouble the first 3 days of October, I was holding out some hope that my earnings just weren't registering correctly. But now I know. We've just been "let go". And that's why they've been pretty much silent, even with technical issues going on, because they know they're destroying the income of a lot of people who have been with EPN for a long time. And right before the best time of the year for earnings. Disgusting.

I can only hope that the overwhelming majority of people will completely remove their eBay links and not give them free advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by DesignST View Post
    Interesting! So at least I understand why now. They ARE trying to wipe out our earnings and it's NOT going to change.
    Well... They are trying to maximize their marketing return by aligning their compensation structure with eBay's new user growth goals.

When you look at all of this, it might help to remember that eBay has outsourced their affiliate program management to Schaaf-partnercentric consulting. So the ebay says, "we don't think our marketing efforts are effective and want to cut spend" and Schaaf says, "Crap, you are going to destroy a very lucrative part of our business, how can we re-align the affiliate program to keep affiliates happy but also prove to eBay that the EPN affiliate program has worth".

IMHO, not paying commissions or severely cutting commissions on type 3 users would have killed the EPN program. Their current actions might damage the program, but I doubt it will kill it.

ABW Ambassador
    It's still too early, will get a better picture at the end of the month/few months, but right now, I'm at 3x what I usually make. So we'll see.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast