Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Curious? CJ Merchants displaying my name in address bar?
    I've noticed something recently with a couple of CJ merchants, most recently a travel company.

After clicking on the supplied affiliate link, on the merchant site my link redirects to a page showing my name in the address bar. In the form of ...com/?CID=affiliate_John+Smith

I'm not paranoid about them displaying my name for all to see, but would rather it not be there just the same. I don't use my name in the 'web site settings' or any marketing channels on CJ, so why are they showing it?

I've tried this on different browsers, logged in or off on CJ, and using regular, encrypted & javascript links, no difference. Anyone else concerned about this?

2. Thanks From:

Saw it for the first time myself last month, with a new merchant.. and was actually quite concerned about it (sorry, didn't think to post, it was the middle of a busy time).

I changed my CJ profile setting to be the website name, instead of my own first/last name (think it's under Administrative account name).. took a couple of days for links to be updated, but for that merchant, I now see the site name in the URL.

Didn't like it, but it only appears to be with my newest merchant (not enough to open a ticket to ask what's up).

4. Thanks From:

Thanks for the info, I might try doing that too.
    Weird, I'd only seen those kind of redirects years ago in some rinky-dink indy programs.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    It's actually pretty common - Lowe's does it too. Have a buddy who saw the same thing and CJ said something to the effect that the merchant was using a third party to create their feeds and/or internal tracking.

As Teezone said it's based on your account name, once my buddy changed it, his personal info no longer showed...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

7. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by simcat View Post
    I've noticed something recently with a couple of CJ merchants, most recently a travel company.

After clicking on the supplied affiliate link, on the merchant site my link redirects to a page showing my name in the address bar. In the form of ...com/?CID=affiliate_John+Smith

I'm not paranoid about them displaying my name for all to see, but would rather it not be there just the same.
    That would not be acceptable by me for any merchant on CJ, or on any other network.

That sounds like a violation of privacy, I don't mind if they use my website, but my full nane, nfw josť.

I bet those merchants would not like for the affiliates to add the merchant CEO, owner, or whomever is selling the product to have their full name included on the affiliates website links to their products...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    It's actually pretty common - Lowe's does it too. Have a buddy who saw the same thing and CJ said something to the effect that the merchant was using a third party to create their feeds and/or internal tracking.
    That's good to know, because I am unique, I will not put up with that .

As Teezone said it's based on your account name, once my buddy changed it, his personal info no longer showed...
    I believe that If you change your account name on CJ, you will also need to change to whom the payments are going to be made?

If it's a merchant issue, I will drop that merchant.
    If it's a CJ new , I will drop CJ.

There are too many new and old things on this business already, to keep on getting to any thing, or anyone.

4/13/13

9. Thanks From:

I believe that If you change your account name on CJ, you will also need to change to whom the payments are going to be made?
    No.

Totally separate...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post
    Very important point for all affiliates!
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    Very important point for all affiliates!
    No. It's not.

Don't you people look at your account information?

How does the affiliate change the CJ account name without altering
    the name used for payments via check? I don't know how to do that
    and this is a very important topic for me as an affiliate.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

14. Thanks From:

No. It's not.

Don't you people look at your account information?
    Well, as a matter of fact I took a look at my account information yesterday after I read your other post here: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/1149762-post2.html

And after I did the "super user" split and found this thread "Curious? CJ Merchants displaying my name in address bar?", what do you think I was feeling?......

or

Each setting is independent of one another...
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Thanks From:

As I wrote earlier:
    I changed my CJ profile setting to be the website name, instead of my own first/last name (think it's under Administrative account name).. took a couple of days for links to be updated, but for that merchant, I now see the site name in the URL.
    It had nothing to do with my payment settings.

The "Name" on the account is separate from the "Account Holder's Name" under Payments.

19. Thanks From:

Well, as a matter of fact I took a look at my account information yesterday after I read your other post here: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/1149762-post2.html

And after I did the "super user" split and found this thread "Curious? CJ Merchants displaying my name in address bar?", what do you think I was feeling?......
    Why is everyone so paranoid?

Each setting in Account Administrative Settings is edited separately. They are not shared fields...

21. Thanks From:

Why is everyone so paranoid?
    You can blame your friend G. for that!

23. Thanks From:

I'll Be Back!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. Sal View Post
    you can blame your friend g. For that!
    +1

Ok, first things first!

I would like to say thanks to simcat, teezone, Convergence, and Rhia7 for this thread, because I learned something new today.

-----------------------------------------

I just went to CJ and changed the account setting by looking at the sample image that Convergence post...

So far everything is ok now, but I want add this info for someone else that may encounter a little bug:

After I clicked on the "Account Administrative Settings" to change my info, it was not taking my new info because the "State" was not editable, but after a few tries, I noticed that it was because of my "ActiveX Filtering" was ON, once I "Turn off ActiveX Filtering" I was able to see the "State" field and the Account was updated with my website name.

--------------------

Now, I don't know if I should have put just "site.com/" or the whole URL address, so I put the whole URL: http : // www. site.com/ and it took it, so I think it's ok...

--------------------

On a separate note I wonder how that new info will work because now it will list only one of my websites name, so I don't know what would happen if and when merchant 1, is promoted on website 2, or vice versa...

But, as long as I get PAID, I no longer care what other CJ come up with.

27. Thanks From:

Now, I don't know if I should have put just "site.com/" or the whole URL address, so I put the whole URL: http : // www. site.com/ and it took it, so I think it's ok...
    Where did you put that?

In the "Account" > Name field, if you want your website name in there, just put the website name, not the URL and w/o the extension. For example: if your website's name is salssilverwareemporium.tv just put in something like SalsSiverwareEmporium.

Remember, what you put there can be added to some merchant's URLs - you don't want to risk breaking them with extra characters like //,: and a dot (period)...

29. Thanks From:

On a separate note I wonder how that new info will work because now it will list only one of my websites name, so I don't know what would happen if and when merchant 1, is promoted on website 2, or vice versa...
    You can come up with whatever you want. Doesn't have to be your website's name...

31. Thanks From:

Remember, what you put there can be added to some merchant's URLs - you don't want to risk breaking them with extra characters like //,: and a dot (period)...
    I thought about that last night but I wasn't sure, now that I read your reply it makes sense, so I just went and fix it with just the letters of the site name.

Thank you!

Marketing Manager
    It looks like you guys figured out how to change this but I also wanted to explain why this is happening. This list of URL parameters:

utm_medium
    utm_source
    utm_campaign
    utm_content
    utm_keyword

is used to add data to an analytics package. This helps greatly when analyzing the performance of publishers because you can see full analytics data on each individual publisher's traffic.

We've set utm_source to include the name of the publisher. This is the same name that's displayed to us in CJ. As discussed above, this doesn't have to be your actual name, it's just the name of the publisher as we (a merchant) see it in CJ. If you're concerned about privacy, follow the instructions above to give a different name to your account.

Our URLs in CJ are tagged like this: ?utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=cj&utm_source=[publisher name]. This is a custom setup in CJ and not available through their UI.
    Last edited by Nathan Grimm; April 15th, 2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: fixing typos

34. Thanks From:

So now, if I change the name to say, a number, it makes me look to unknowing merchants that I maybe have something to hide. If I change that, unless the merchant can see my payment or tax info, it appears they won't see my name at all. There's a perfectly good unique account number to use but they use a name.

I appreciate the explanation, but using the publisher name in the URL is inappropriate.

Imagine my surprise when I saw my own first & last name in a url (and it's up to me to change it?).

It should default to either the CJ account number, or site name. Full stop.

37. Thanks From:

Marketing Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby131313 View Post
    So now, if I change the name to say, a number, it makes me look to unknowing merchants that I maybe have something to hide. If I change that, unless the merchant can see my payment or tax info, it appears they won't see my name at all. There's a perfectly good unique account number to use but they use a name.
    There's a better way.

Merchants see an organization name. If the publisher provides an additional contact, their name and an email address appear in the Publisher Detail screen. The value that's getting merged into the URLs is the organization name. I would suggest creating a name for your organization like Widget Info Inc. Then, if you want to provide your real name to merchants as well, include yourself as a contact.

39. Thanks From:

Marketing Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    I appreciate the explanation, but using the publisher name in the URL is inappropriate.

Imagine my surprise when I saw my own first & last name in a url.

It should default to either the CJ account number, or site name. Full stop.
    I didn't see this before my last post or I would have responded in my previous post as well.

Yes, CJ should be more transparent about how each piece of information can be displayed so you know whether to provide a personally identifiable piece of information or not.

The organization name is preferable to a number because I can recognize it in an analytics report and not need to cross-reference every number every time to see if there's a new publisher who's doing well or a steady contributor who's dropping off.

As a side note, the website name is not feasible because publishers have multiple websites and CJ doesn't customize the link it provides to publishers based on the website where the link gets published.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast