"Wordpress Under Attack: How To Avoid The Coming Botnet"

Wordpress Under Attack: How To Avoid The Coming Botnet - Forbes
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

2. Thanks From:

~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Better WP Security

WordPress › Better WP Security WordPress Plugins

The description sounds good but can a one click activation really do it?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks for posting this. I'm always looking for ways to Harden WordPress

One thing I do is rename the database prefix when I first install WP. It's easy to do with a fresh install, just change the config file. I think it requires a few extra steps with an existing site.

I do this because bots are searching the web for databases with the WP- prefix
    (wp-youdatabase). They then attack those sites. Change the WP to anything else and those bots don't see your site.

7. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    Better WP Security

WordPress › Better WP Security WordPress Plugins

The description sounds good but can a one click activation really do it?
    I use this plugin (thanks to your previous recomendation ;-)

Its not realy one click since once its installed you have to go thru and select which features you want to use - basicaly turn each one on one at a time and make sure it plays well with your other plugins and server setup, if a rule messes something else up then you have to decide whether to do without that rule or change something else.

Basically it holds your hand thru the stuff linked to in this previous thread by writerguy and some more stuff (backups, logs, warning emails, and other stuff)

Like I say I've been using it for about 3 months now it seems good.

I selected all the tweaks apart from one and it works fine.

One thing that I then change manually is that Better WP Security sets the permissions on both .htaccess and wp-config.php to 444. I modify the permisions on wp-config.php to 440

Apart from the security and backups the logs can be very helpful. The other day I changed the settings on another plugin and didn't notice that it had messed up some of the sites navigation untill BWPS notified lots of 404 errors which didn't seem to be bots. I then spotted the error!

All in all it seems pretty good

9. Thanks From:

By the time these articles were posted, the hackers have already moved on to a new technique haha... you're never safe but these help from the amateur hackers so thnx for sharing. Much Appreciated.

I used to have my sites hacked, but since I started to use non-default default username (instead of admin) and different database prefix i didn't have any problem.

12. Thanks From:

I use Better WP Security along with Wordfence. There are both great plugin, they are free and work smoothly together. I've tried quite a few of them and found these two to be the best ones so far.

Hello Guys, By the time this post, the hacker already moved on to a new technique hahah...... your're never safe but these help from the amateur hackers.

It is important but you need to change default username and database password, otherwise you will be hacked anyway.

i use Better WP Security but i was hack anyway ;/

always someone create new way to hack site's

Thanks for this reference. Actually I am using Wordfence security plugin for my blog and its really works fine for me.

Thanks for this!

another great tip is to make your passwords alphanumeric and sticky caps, plus add a (dash) -

robots would take a lifetime to crack that.

19. Thanks From:

A quick upate to my review of the plugin above:

Better WP Security has been bought by iThemes and changed its name to iThemes Security about 10 days ago. Its not been smooth transition - there's been 12 updates in just over a week due to various ongoing problems.

Hopefully they'll get it fixed soon. In the meantime if you are thinking of using iThemes Security I'd recomend you wait a few weeks and see how things pan out.

Thanks for all of these posts as a newbie I did not give it a thought about my site being hacked. Great information all!

Affiliate Manager
    Yeah, this info is timeless. Wordpress is certainly here to stay; for the time being. Has this continued to be a problem over time? The Heartbleed scare recently was enough to stop hearts in a minute. How many of you were affected by either Wordpress being hacked or your G+ account security compromised? Guess it's time to change that password. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
    A quick upate to my review of the plugin above:

Better WP Security has been bought by iThemes and changed its name to iThemes Security about 10 days ago. Its not been smooth transition - there's been 12 updates in just over a week due to various ongoing problems.

Hopefully they'll get it fixed soon. In the meantime if you are thinking of using iThemes Security I'd recomend you wait a few weeks and see how things pan out.
    Update to the update:

Things have now calmed down again, no more daily updates and all seems to be back to normal with "iThemes Security"

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vishwa1989 View Post
    Thanks for this reference. Actually I am using Wordfence security plugin for my blog and its really works fine for me.
    I have used Wordfence for over a year. There is at least one break-in try per day (several sites combined). So far Wordfence has prevented the walls of the castle from being breached.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I, too, am a Wordfence fan.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer View Post
    I have used Wordfence for over a year. There is at least one break-in try per day (several sites combined). So far Wordfence has prevented the walls of the castle from being breached.
    When you say breakin attempt do you mean attempts at login to the beckend?

How does wordfence block it?

Heard a lot of good comments about wordfence, also people using the two together.

27. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread