View Poll Results: Where should existing GAN merchants move to?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • AvantLink

33 47.14%
  • Affiliate Window

16 22.86%
  • Commission Junction

30 42.86%
  • Linkshare

6 8.57%
  • PepperJam

2 2.86%
  • ShareASale

17 24.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Where should GAN merchants move to?
    With GAN announcing that they are shutting down last night, where would you like to see the merchants move to?

Here are some questions to help out too:
    1) You are a ____? Affiliate / Merchant?
    2) What network do you prefer?
    3) Why??

1) Large Sub Affilaite (8,000+ affiliates under us)
    2) CJ
    3) Long relationship, good feed quality, never problems accessing data, and we have a fantastic rep over there.

We work with everyone on your list with the exception of SAS, so anywhere you move is fine as long as it isn't SAS

Avantlink & CJ get my vote. Just please not linkshare

We just started working with Avantlink and Affiliate Window, and our experience has been great so far. Very attentive and willing to do whatever it takes to work with us, so those would also be high on my list. We don't do much volume with Pepperjam, and have been hit an miss as far as contacting them in the past. We push a lot of volume to Nordstrom over at linkshare, but always have a difficult time talking to anyone, and it seems like we have problems pulling their datafeeds at least once a week.

ABW Ambassador
    I am surprised LS got a vote.

Jumping from GAN to LS is like jumping from Costa Concordia to Titanic.

We only have one "serious" relationship left at GAN because we have been migrating away ever since their "combined payments" crap hit a lot of our colleagues. We had two checks merchants left but pulled the plug on one last month - and just last evening found the other one will be moving back to ShareASale (where it was born several years ago), where I am certain our conversion rate will increase.

The other few we have left really don't amount to very much so it matters little where they go. However, I do like working with the CJ datafeeds (as Prosperent mentioned).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Oh - Price Comparison website, Super Affiliate, yada yada

Commission Junction is going to have the largest publisher base and I personally, really, really like them. Their infrastructure is first rate.

LinkShare datafeed infrastructure is pathetic and their reporting breaks frequently.

ShareASale's datafeed format is too sparse and is missing shipping costs (so you can't signify free shipping in the datafeed by setting it to 0)

Pepperjam infrastructure is pretty good, but I'm not a huge fan, primarily because my commission checks from them are fairly small.

I don't work with avantlink or affiliatewindow, but will probably add avantlink soon. I only join an affiliate network when the number of exclusive merchants reaches a tipping point.
    Last edited by isellstuff; April 17th, 2013 at 03:14 PM.

8. Thanks From:

I am a new Affiliate Manager with Avantlink and have had a great experience so far. Back when I did affiliate marketing and published merchant ads my favorite was Avantlink. The reason for that was the ALE tool. I ran a few communities and placing that ALE code in the footer allowed my members to post freely about merchants and I didn't have to worry about finding them and embedding tracking codes on the links. It was all done automagically

10. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    commission junction is going to have the largest publisher base and i personally, really, really like them. Their infrastructure is first rate.

Linkshare datafeed infrastructure is pathetic and their reporting breaks frequently.

Shareasale's datafeed format is too sparse and is missing shipping costs (so you can't signify free shipping in the datafeed by setting it to 0)

pepperjam infrastructure is pretty good, but i'm not a huge fan, primarily because my commission checks from them are fairly small.
    +1
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by p3steve View Post
    I am a new Affiliate Manager with Avantlink and have had a great experience so far. Back when I did affiliate marketing and published merchant ads my favorite was Avantlink. The reason for that was the ALE tool. I ran a few communities and placing that ALE code in the footer allowed my members to post freely about merchants and I didn't have to worry about finding them and embedding tracking codes on the links. It was all done automagically
    I was just in on a great Chad Waite webinar earlier today on using the ALE. For anyone who missed it, in a day or two there will be a link on the Avantlink blog to hear it. This is the kind of stuff that makes Avantlink so far superior to GAN, LS and various other networks.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; April 17th, 2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: typo
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    My votes went to SAS, CJ, Affiliate Window and Avantlink. So glad GAN is el muerto, and I hope merchants will be smart and avoid other poorly operated and constructed networks. hint hint.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Affiliate Network Rep Chad-AvantLink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    I was just in on a great Chad Waite webinar earlier today on using the ALE. For anyone who missed it, in a day or two there will be a link on the Avantlink blog to hear it. This is the kind of stuff that makes Avantlink so far superior to GAN, LS and various other networks.
    Hey, thank you very much AffiliateHound! I'll hopefully have the blog post up with the webinar tomorrow, so keep an eye out for it then.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    CJ and AvantLink neck to neck @ 21 votes each. Interesting on how AvantLink, a smaller company is becoming a favorite while CJ is back in the saddle .

Some resources:
    Google Affiliate Network Shutting down

What to do next as a merchant?
    What To Do next as an affiliate

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe View Post
    CJ and AvantLink neck to neck @ 21 votes each.
    Check again!

I'm breaking that tie right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe View Post
    Interesting on how AvantLink, a smaller company is becoming a favorite while CJ is back in the saddle .
    Maybe smaller in size for now, but don't let the size fool you.

CJ all the way. Superior to Linkshare in every meaningful way.
    Your Ad Here.

Avantlink.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Thought I had done that Mr. Sal when I popped in quickly earlier but guess you beat met to it

AvantLink too and agree with AffiliateHound Chad does a great job on the webinars. Was at the one today as well.

20. Thanks From:

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar

I don't work with avantlink or affiliatewindow, but will probably add avantlink soon. I only join an affiliate network when the number of exclusive merchants reaches a tipping point.
    Looking forward to knowing what that tipping point is, cause I bet Affiliate Window might surprise you. We'd love the chance to try!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Marketing Manager
    1) I am a Merchant
    2) I prefer CJ but I'm considering AvantLink and gave a vote to ShareASale
    3) CJ's UI is clunky and hard to learn but I actually haven't seen much better (ShareASale is painful). CJ has a lot of publishers, the right features, and they're stable. Large network minimums though so ShareASale is the only feasible choice for small programs.

Talking
    I love the fact that as of this moment, PJX has zero.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    GSE bought PJX but otherwise how are they promoted? Do they have a booth at Affiliate Summit, I don't remember!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    GSE bought PJX but otherwise how are they promoted? Do they have a booth at Affiliate Summit, I don't remember!
    eBay owns them now, via their purchase of GSI. I saw them at an affiliate summit last year in Austin.

26. Thanks From:

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Here's my thoughts, there is no "best network" every merchant has specific needs;

Some considerations;

How strong a presence does the Network have in your industry, are there many merchants or a few selling similar products. Will you be the one breaking the ground, or using what other merchants have established before you. Depending on your affiliate teams mind set either option might be preferable for your affiliate program

How deep is the reporting offered, and how deep do you need it. Take time to get access to network reports / demos to see what is on offer and what you need.

How long do you need to track cookies, some networks might not offer the time period you want.

If you do residual sales, check that the network can support this.

Ask your top affiliates which network they prefer to work on.

Check for extra costs, not every network includes all their tools in their basic package, ask what else is available, what the costs are and see what you need and how the costs compare, and whether you can get a better rate on them as part of your migration.

Network fees [specifically the networks revenue share component]

Scalability through the network i.e. do they have all the tools that you’ll need and if not do they have partners that can provide them easily

What is the geographical reach of the network.

Network support. Will you get a dedicated rep or be constantly routed through a CRM that gives you a random contact for each and every email.

Are there brand compliance features in place to help protect your brand, what tools are on hand or recommended by the network for this.

Does the network provide merchants/affiliates with ongoing education?

What is the merchant ‘churn’ rate?
    Last edited by Chris - AMWSO; April 19th, 2013 at 03:30 AM. Reason: spacing
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Affiliate Manager Kush@VMInnovations's Avatar
    ShareASale's datafeed format is too sparse and is missing shipping costs (so you can't signify free shipping in the datafeed by setting it to 0)
    Sent a request to fix this but in the meantime, SAS merchants can create any custom field they want (within the feed) and label one of those as "Free Shipping".

In our case, since everything is shipped for free, we did just that. So now a comparison shopping aff partner is able to reflect the free shipping properly on their site.

Will be happy to PM more details.

----------------

1) We a - Merchant
    2) SAS by FAR
    3) Why? Some of thoughts from the past:

- Ethical service-driven network
    - Responsive & helpful support & merchant development teams
    - Real time transparent tracking
    - Like the interface and merchant tools and reporting within
    - Ability to upload multiple creatives at a time
    - Actual implementation was rather quick
    - No need to sign annual contracts
    - I would think any affiliate doing anything major is on all networks, but SAS filters crap better than CJ
    Last edited by Kush@VMInnovations; April 19th, 2013 at 08:55 AM. Reason: added reason why SAS

Quote Originally Posted by Kush@VMInnovations View Post
    Sent a request to fix this but in the meantime, SAS merchants can create any custom field they want (within the feed) and label one of those as "Free Shipping".

In our case, since everything is shipped for free, we did just that. So now a comparison shopping aff partner is able to reflect the free shipping properly on their site.
    Here is the problem with that. A lot of affiliates work with feeds from multiple merchants at multiple networks. We are a rare case that works with about 3,000 merchants. If we had to go through and create custom datafeed maps for every datafeed we worked with because the default structure is lacking something, we would waste months of valuable time. We do our mapping at the network level, so sure, SAS has the ability to add custom fields, but it isn't standardized and therefore a nightmare to work with.

30. Thanks From:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast