2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  elalpo's Avatar
    Exclamation Google Affiliate Network Shuts Down ?
    What will happen with Google Affiliate Network merchants?

Google Shuts Down The Google Affiliate Network Again

Official note - Google Affiliate Network: An update on Google Affiliate Network

2. Thanks From:

There are quite a few threads on this subject already. I'm sure the merchants will all migrate to other networks.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  elalpo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prosperent View Post
    There are quite a few threads on this subject already. I'm sure the merchants will all migrate to other networks.
    Sorry.. I've noticed later about many threads
    I am certain it is a bit of a shocker to many affiliates and merchants - it is a lot of hard work to transition to other networks for both affiliates and merchants...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    When a company this size makes a decision its usually limited to those at the top. They don't want employees jumping ship during the transition. When its finally announced it comes quickly and as a surprise. We may never know the reasoning behind the closure but the news is out so all effected are scrambling to figure their next steps. Ideally I would have expected a transition announcement that merchants were automatically transitioned to the product ads. The ads were tested via merchants several years ago and for those who they worked for were a gold mine. Then they were moved to a public offering like AdWords. Everything is based on profitability and if the network wasn't profitable then its inevitable that it would close. Google does not answer to anyone and does things at their pace. This could have been in the works for the last year, we can only assume!

This is kind of an ironic move on Google's part. First, they tweaked the algorithms that burned many affiliates. Then they saw the hard data on exactly how much money the affiliate networks lost and now they cut off their access to that data.

This move can then be called "The Ostrich Update."

Probably a precursor to the "Penguin 4 Update."

7. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by bluewaves1 View Post
    This is kind of an ironic move on Google's part. First, they tweaked the algorithms that burned many affiliates. Then they saw the hard data on exactly how much money the affiliate networks lost and now they cut off their access to that data.

This move can then be called "The Ostrich Update."

Probably a precursor to the "Penguin 4 Update."
    Love it. Nicely done, Sherry. A very appropriate graphic.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

First, good riddance to GAN. Not to their people, but to their difficult to use interface, and to their aloof, unresponsive attitude toward fixing their Safari issue which cost a lot of affiliates a lot of money.

The good news is that the GAN merchants should be migrating to other programs, where we will stand a better chance of being correctly credited for our sales from Safari traffic.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thl99 View Post
    The good news is that the GAN merchants should be migrating to other programs, where we will stand a better chance of being correctly credited for our sales from Safari traffic.
    Carolyn Tang Kmet was kind enough to put together this Google doc showing where many of the GAN merchants are also available. Hope you find this helpful.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

11. Thanks From:

This news is music to my ears. I hope that it is a heads up that CJ will follow suit. It is time for self managed in house programs. The Affiliate Networks are the biggest loser leaches of this industry.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    That would be a nightmare for affiliates and merchants with payment issues, different tracking systems, multiple datafeed standards. In-house has its place but after managing high volume in-house programs for years I wouldn't run my business that way. Can't tell you how many times they were screwed up because so new tech hosed a server, didn't do a back-up before a new code push. Plus chasing checks every month, direct deposit transfers, 1099s every year. I for one an thankful for the services networks provide and get far more done through them than in going solo IMHO.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelle View Post
    This news is music to my ears. I hope that it is a heads up that CJ will follow suit. It is time for self managed in house programs. The Affiliate Networks are the biggest loser leaches of this industry.
    Like Chuck said, that would be a disaster - Hundreds (thousands?) of different tracking systems, never knowing who actually IS tracking and who is not, 100s (1000s?)of different systems for getting or building links, never knowing who is or is not going to pay and when,... the list goes on.

There are bad networks and ok networks and good networks, but affiliate life with no networks could not exist.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    That would be a nightmare for affiliates and merchants with payment issues, different tracking systems, multiple datafeed standards. In-house has its place but after managing high volume in-house programs for years I wouldn't run my business that way. Can't tell you how many times they were screwed up because so new tech hosed a server, didn't do a back-up before a new code push. Plus chasing checks every month, direct deposit transfers, 1099s every year. I for one an thankful for the services networks provide and get far more done through them than in going solo IMHO.
    The system needs to evolve, the affiliate networks have become monster dictators specifically CJ and Affiliate Window and lately GAN have tried to appease the advertiser by shafting the affiliates. They have become too big and never realized that it is the affiliate that they need to appease not the advertiser. In any case I hope for a domino effect with CJ being the next and then affiliate window. Only this will allow for a better system to evolve. Every cloud has a silver lining and this one is lined with a shi....load of Gold.

16. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I don't agree on the "loser leaches" comment for the most part. If affiliates got burned because they were totally dependent on too many Google programs, they made their bed. That network hasn't been good for a long time in terms of tools provided or support. Most, if not all of the programs on there either already have other network options or will re-deploy shortly. I know I for one won't miss GAN at all. I'd already closed the Fanatics program there 18 months ago because I didn't find it to be adding value. We were already in process of setting up Fans Edge, Mounted Memories and ProSportsMemorabilia on ShareASale when we got this announcement.

As for calling for independent programs, while we do operate one here at Fanatics, we do have a lot of affiliates that prefer the consolidated payment and reporting the networks offer, as well as the inclusion of a 3rd party in the middle to track things.
    Last edited by AffiliateWarrior; April 22nd, 2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added more thoughts.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Most, if not all of the programs on there either already have other network options or will re-deploy shortly.
    We have a solid two dozen "Exclusive to GAN" merchants we have not heard a peep out of - crazy...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

19. Thanks From:

Finally Google did something useful. GAN profits here always been terrible and one time switching merchants' GAN to other networks would definitely worth it.

ABW Ambassador
    So now I ask what is Google planning now? I would guess they will be redirecting a majority of traffic in the future to their own affiliate coupon and shopping products. We have already seen search results manipulated heavily in recent times. Now on some results where you search for a hot selling product, Google will spam their own search results with loads of paid ads at the top and the bottom of the results. in fact some results have so many ads that it takes you half of the page to scroll down to you see real results. How long do we keep accepting this crap? When will a proper search engine evolve and shut the Google joke up once and for all and the Internet can be free again and the people will not be watched and controlled by one greedy self centered company that gives no regard for the average person?

One thing you can be sure of is that they will be planning to make money here, this is not them losing, they are planning to make money as they have seen how much money affiliates can make....
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

google is like a vampire
    I think they sucked the live out of the affiliate network thing. Sucked all commissions to there own accounts. Earned enough to get all their money back. And now just simply close it down. They not even try to sell it to some other company. Very strange no?

Well since google took over connectcommerce I have seen my commissions go from 1700$/month to now 60$/month. So sure they screwed me over.

Actually will be better that google steps out of this business.

23. Thanks From:

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread