Wordpress Blog Posting Causes Affiliate clicks
    There seems to be a problem with the wordpress 3.05.1 editor as it causes forced clicks upon affiliate links when a post is published. If you use the plugin "pretty link lite" and activate it and create a test link and use that test link within your blog post such as;

<a href="http://site.com/test" target="_blank"><span style="font-family: arial; font-size: medium; color: #0000ff; text-decoration: underline;">test link</span></a>

Publish the post and you will see that instantly there are 3 clicks recorded within your "Pretty link lite" stat area. This also happens with or without the plugin but this can quickly show you what is happening before looking at your affiliate networks stats. I have been figuring this out slowly as each time I posted a blog post before I would notice a small spike in clicks within my affiliate programs tracking. Think about it, if 1 hyperlink affiliate link within a blog post results in 3 clicks if your post has 8-10 affiliate links your looking at 30 non existant clicks. I have tested this on wordpress 3.05, 3.05.1 and even tried other themes with the same result. I have looked almost everywhere online and can not even find threads in regards to this. Also the clicks appear to come from the server ip your sites are hosted on.

My question is; How can this be fixed or prevented? I encourage other users to test this and see if it is doing the same. As a publisher you want the epc's to rise for both you and the merchant but this kinda works against that doesn't it?

2. Thanks From:

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    I noticed the same thing, not good,sometimes I'm glad most of my sites are still goold old html..

Would love to hear some input from maybe some bigger affiliate networks staff on this one as they must know about this since every click lowers epc's and most network use this to both gain affiliates and judge how the products are converting.

I am not willing to revert back to html however as wordpress has become a standard more less in terms of content management and making things easier. The last thing I want though is an affiliate network to think I'm sending non-existant traffic as I am a quality affiliate!

Google these two options that you can put in your functions.php file:
    if ( !defined('WP_HTTP_BLOCK_EXTERNAL') ) {
    define('WP_HTTP_BLOCK_EXTERNAL', false);
    }
    remove_action('do_pings', 'do_all_pings', 10, 1);

Sorry don't have a bunch of time to explain but those options should block the pings and outbound traffic. Also thats from wordpress as of a few years ago.

6. Thanks From:

Thank you kindly. I was trying almost everything and while sleeping last night I figured it could of been ping related and took out the rpc ping within the writing settings but that did not work. I am going to look into this in Google. Thank you kindly iolaire!

Here is the solution I hope;

Add the following code to your wp-config.php :

define('WP_HTTP_BLOCK_EXTERNAL', true);

This will block external requests hopefully! I am going to test this on a blog and watch my tracking within a affiliate program and see. Might test it with "Pretty links lite" as well!

Thanks guys!

I tried this out and the code works for not allowing plugins to be added or updated but the affiliate clicks after posting a blog still happen. 3 hits immediately after publishing the blog post with one affiliate link.

What do you think these hits are exactly? Since it happens immediately on publishing. It shows all 3 hits as being unique but then shows all 3 from my vps ip address.

Kinda makes no sense! Very annoying

Under Settings > Discussion - have you tried unchecking "Attempt to notify any blogs linked to from the article ?"

Just a thought and no idea if this will stop the outgoing clicks but, in theory, it may stop the attempt to "notify" whatever is on the other end of any links.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

11. Thanks From:

Haha Bill it seems you are on to something as I just did that and published the test post with one affiliate link and voila it only got 1 hit instead of the 3. Thank you kindly I was going nuts about this because I like to post lots and seeing the nonexistant clicks add up was very annoying.

Do you think this is solved now? 1 click is better than 3 but I still do not see why publishing a post would cause a click on an affiliate link within it. I wonder what that last click is?

Thanks Bill

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread