Smile Approving Affiliate Applications
    It's a happy Monday morning when I login to see my affiliate applications and an ABW member posts a detailed description of how they plan to promote one of my programs. That's the way to personally connect with a manager and get an immediate bump in commission. I wish I could do that everyday.

99% of my non solicited applications are not relevant to the program and have minimal information in the description.

Give me an idea, give me a reason to work with you. Trust me, I love talking to affiliates. So does Cindy. We want to help you succeed.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I am a fan of this as well and it definitely speeds up the review/approval process, so long as your described methods of promotion are in keeping with the terms and conditions of my program.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

3. Thanks From:

My sentiments exactly Greg!
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

5. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager Kush@VMInnovations's Avatar
    Ditto.

When I saw XX potential affiliate apps this morning, guess which ones got reviewed/approved first and which ones a left pending for more info.

Btw it seems the ratio is like 1 or 2 out of 10, so the applications with descriptions definitely stand out (and are usually approved within hours).

Especially if you have multiple websites and your "umbrella" site has nothing to do with the program you are applying for - at least tell us what site you plan on promoting this merchant on and how.

Such an easy way for affiliates to get started off right with a program.
    Char Polanosky
    Affiliate Manager, All Inclusive Marketing
    char (at) allinclusivemarketing.com

Affiliate Manager
    I definitely agree that if affiliates take the time to let you know their plan, they are way more likely to get approved...Now if only all the affiliates did this =)

ABW Ambassador
    Greg - Thank You for the commission increase! What a nice way to start the week with someone increasing a commission versus decreasing it.

I've been so busy adding the merchants products to my websites that I almost missed this thread. I'll be having a closer look at the other programs you manage.

10. Thanks From:

Great thread for new (or experienced) affiliates to read to up their approval rate.

12. Thanks From:

Giggling as I type...

What not to do. Get approved to a program and have an automated reply that says "LEAVE ME ALONE!"

Instant removal...
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

14. Thanks From:

That certainly would make my day too. I understand me and my company are new to affiliate marketing and to ABW, but the idea of affiliates having an open mind and trying out new programs makes me fuzzy inside. I believe it is a two way street. Not only should affiliates want to let merchants know how they can make them money, but being on the affiliate side of things once, affiliates are not going to waste their time with programs they don't think will generate them income. When I was an affiliate that's all I thought about was the bottom line. Am I making money? I think Affiliate Managers should be just as eager to be contacting affiliates to let them know how their program is going to make everyone money. I have been contacting many affiliates in my first couple of weeks letting them know I will work with them. I will write content, develop custom ads, etc. I find some are very joyful and respond. I find others to be not so joyful. In my experience, those who are successful in affiliate marketing always make the time to respond in some way. If they don't intend to, I would suggest removing their contact information from the website. I think most Affiliate Managers, or at least myself, are happy to boost commissions for great partners!!
    Last edited by p3steve; April 23rd, 2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: apparently I can't type today...

16. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    Giggling as I type...

What not to do. Get approved to a program and have an automated reply that says "LEAVE ME ALONE!"

Instant removal...
    Or, as I just saw - have your only listed domain on a GoDaddy "parking" page and advertised as being for sale. How stoooopid can ya get?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

18. Thanks From:

Ah, Marketing Gorilla, you are Kung Fu mast-ah of program management! ;-)
    Steve Root
    E: [email]steve.root@xero.com[/email]
    M: 415-608-5176

20. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the post Greg, hopefully other affiliates will see this thread and follow that ABW member's lead--it's so awesome when affiliates start the conversation

I guess this is also a good place to bring up a question I have: What is your all's take on automatic application decline based on an affiliate's country? I've normally been against it, but I've come to realize that I spend a significant amount of time declining applications from places like India and China only to accept 1, maybe 2 out of 100.

Definitely don't want to piss off any affiliates, but I've found that if an affiliate gets declined and really wants to work with me then they will send a follow up message.
    Mike Hourigan
    Affiliate Manager for [URL="http://www.shoeboxed.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=signature%2B&utm_campaign=abestweb"]Shoeboxed.com[/URL]
    [EMAIL="mikeh@team.shoeboxed.com"]Email[/EMAIL]|[URL="http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=131457835&trk=tab_pro"]LinkedIn[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHourigan View Post
    I guess this is also a good place to bring up a question I have: What is your all's take on automatic application decline based on an affiliate's country? I've normally been against it, but I've come to realize that I spend a significant amount of time declining applications from places like India and China only to accept 1, maybe 2 out of 100.
    Since it's a problem (on CJ), to save time I would recommend auto declining inactive affiliates who have no earnings history/ratings. I believe you can customize the auto-decline/approve filters there.

23. Thanks From:

I don't have any good active affiliates from India or China.
    Greg Hoffman

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Greg, this was a great thread.

There is nothing better that getting that relationship started with details on best to promote offers. This makes it easy for both affiliate manager and affiliate to work together and get the sales rolling in.

27. Thanks From:

Kush, I don't agree. I hate auto-decline rules. I think that when you do this you miss out on opportunities to connect with promising new affiliates because you will likely never see their application. I have a situation with this that I am personally involved with that pisses me off to now end.

I'm on a weight loss quest using Weight Watchers and have the opportunity to get them in from of hundreds of people with my industry visibility and my Emcee gig at Affiliate Summit East, however, I can't get in their program because they have rules like this in place, and they don't provide contact information to follow up and plead my case.

If you find it necessary as a manager to use auto-decline rules for applications, be careful with it, use a very well worded rejection email that encourages follow up, and publish your contact info. Or better yet, just spend a few minutes every day and manually review apps.

Affiliate Manager
    The only reason I feel comfortable with auto declining based off of country of origin, is that in my experience the publishers that are legit will reach out and ask why they were declined.

An auto decline simply saves a significant amount of time, and allows me to focus on other areas of the program.

Quote Originally Posted by TXD View Post
    The only reason I feel comfortable with auto declining based off of country of origin, is that in my experience the publishers that are legit will reach out and ask why they were declined.

An auto decline simply saves a significant amount of time, and allows me to focus on other areas of the program.
    I think "legit" affiliates will assume you deem them unworthy and they will move on to a competitor.
    Greg Hoffman

31. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    I think "legit" affiliates will assume you deem them unworthy and they will move on to a competitor.
    Exactly!
    BTDT in CJ on more than one occasion. We were declined by quite a few merchants there back when we were just 1-bar affiliates. Rather than "plead a case" I just moved on and usually found a good competitor.

Same thing - initially - in GAN. But now that is a moot point.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

what are some of the rules you can set up for auto-decline in CJ?

34. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    what are some of the rules you can set up for auto-decline in CJ?
    Network ranking or no ranking.
    Country of origin.
    EPC

36. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    Kush, I don't agree. I hate auto-decline rules. I think that when you do this you miss out on opportunities to connect with promising new affiliates because you will likely never see their application. I have a situation with this that I am personally involved with that pisses me off to now end.

I'm on a weight loss quest using Weight Watchers and have the opportunity to get them in from of hundreds of people with my industry visibility and my Emcee gig at Affiliate Summit East, however, I can't get in their program because they have rules like this in place, and they don't provide contact information to follow up and plead my case.

If you find it necessary as a manager to use auto-decline rules for applications, be careful with it, use a very well worded rejection email that encourages follow up, and publish your contact info. Or better yet, just spend a few minutes every day and manually review apps.
    I'm on the same page with you Wade. For the record, we don't auto-decline anyone; and I manually review each application every morning If someone gets declined, we send an email requesting a brief explanation of how they were planning on marketing our products with my email/phone number in there for reconsideration (it works!)

However, since Mike was having issues on CJ w/ overwhelming applications from India & China I suggested he auto-decline newbie affs from those countries based from his experience (and my own/ + Gregg's) that 99% of the time affiliates from those countries would not be a good fit.

Btw, it seems like weightwatchers AM read your post... here is what I see: "WeightWatchers.com: This advertiser approves publishers manually. Your application status will be set to "Pending Application" and the advertiser will contact you if approved."

Still haven't approved my APP.

I have the India, China and Pakistan filters set up in CJ for the record. I don't have time to decline 50-200 apps per day, so I am cool with geographically targeted restrictions like that in those cases.

Quote Originally Posted by TXD View Post

I latched onto his "legit" statement and ran with it. But he did originally state he was auto declining based on country.

India and China are the time wasters, sorry but its true.
    Greg Hoffman

40. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread