How is this site doing this?
    I posted this question on yahoo answers and it got deleted. I don't know why. I was doing some research on a keyword and per the article I was reading, i clicked on the #1, #2, and #3 ranked sites in google for my search term.

The top 2 sites were nothing but a video sales letter and very little text. So, still following the advice in the article I was reading, I checked out the source code because, I couldn't see why they ranked so high. Although there was not really any visible text on the page and not invisible text, either, there seemed to be a lot of it in the html source code that apparently google found very useful.

I don't want to link to the sites but, if you use the search term "Search Term" WITH quotes and look at the source code you can see a LOT of random text with links that lead to pages not found. And only certain keywords bold and stuff like this. here is a snippet of the code.

"I ought to express this as it concerns your disposition. Once your things takes off you'll find this straightforward <b>Search Term</b> although that's like trying to nail porridge to the wall. New rules and regulations put an end to this for now. I could open your eyes to the way things are with stuff and don't abuse this fact."

As you can see, the actual text is clearly made to look like it was written by a person but actually has NOTHING to do with cellulite. Further down on the page are about 20 links that seem to lead to cellulite pages but, actually lead to page not found pages. None of this is visible on the actual page, though.

I would like to over take these spots with an actual content-rich blog-type site. So, here are my questions.

How are they doing this? Would it be possible to overcome this with actual content on my site? This seems a bit "blackhat" to me and, I am really interested in legitimate SEO that gives people information but, I would like to outrank pages such as these.

Thank you for reading this long post.

Tina/somegirl
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; May 10th, 2013 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Removed search words

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    They won't last in the SERPs.

Without seeing the site, suspect it's a new registration with lots of suspect backlinks.

We all fight this daily - you can always report them as SPAM to the search engine. It actually works...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Sounds blackhat to me, recommend posting your question in WebMasterWorld where more SEO experts hang out.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Sounds blackhat to me, recommend posting your question in WebMasterWorld where more SEO experts hang out.
    <snicker>Don't know about experts - but deffo more SEO folks...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

5. Thanks From:

Hi,
    I think that the web server checks the user agent of the requesting client and if its a web crawler like the google bot - shows the normal home page.Its its a normal browser user agent , like firefox - it will show the splash screen.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread