technical question on how to split commissions with content creators
    Hello there,

I would greatly appreciate your help with this one.

I would like to offer a website on which users can post deals.
    If I happen to have an affiliate link I would like to edit their posts an add a affiliate link. For each sale made I would than give them a fixed amount of the commission I get trough their personalized link.

Of course the authors should be able to track their sales somehow.

I would like to use SIDs from commission junction to distinguish the authors.

How is this technical possible ? can I use post affiliate pro or something ?

I don't even know what I would call this and therefore I am not able to find answers on google.

Thank you very much

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Many loyalty, cash-back sites do this for members primarily as rebates. Research loyalty, cash-back sites.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Then dig DEEP into your pockets and hire a programmer...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

thank you for your replies so far, anybody else a technical solution ?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    You will use sub ID tracking, reseach that with networks.

I can offer some advice here. A couple years ago we actually setup a cash back site (thenetpool.com) as a tech demo for our api. We developed all of the technology necessary to do it without having to code everything from scratch. Here are the basics:

You need to have a user registration system in place that stores a userid for each person that signs up. Using our api's the rest is pretty easy. We have a merchant api that gives you back the min and max commission rates for all of our merchants. You use that to display the amount of cash back a person can earn on your site minus whatever your percentage cut will be.

The products are all pulled from our product api, and coupon api, so that takes out the work of aggregating thousands of merchants from all of the major networks. There are a few merchants that do not work with cash back sites. We have a list of those on our forum, and filtering them out of product results is as simple as sending over a negative filter with your api call.

Next up is tracking. Just add &sid=useridxxxxx to the click url's and all clicks to all merchants are tracked through our system.

Finally is the commission side. We have a commission api that gives you back all of the commission data for each sale that goes through. We also give back that unique sid you sent us as well as the current status of that commission. Locked, extended, adjusted, closed. You use that to display the cash back on the customer side.

So, all together, using our tools you could build a cash back site easily, and for very little money. Otherwise it would be a LARGE undertaking to say the least.

Now, your model sounds somewhat different in the fact that you want to replace existing url's with these cash back url's and then split the commission with the initial user. In that case, you also need to identify the merchant and product from the url posted by your user on your site. That can get tricky. You need to create regex rules for each merchant. We started doing that for one of our other tools called prosperlinks, so it's definitely possible.

Having said all of that, is this a site you already have, or is this just an idea you would like to get going? I ask because doing this as a new site is going to be difficult. You are getting into probably the most competitive side of affiliate marketing. Deals, coupons, cash back is a big money business with some very large players. People that have multi million dollar advertising budgets in some cases. We literally just built thenetpool as a tech demo and never promoted it beyond that. Too difficult to break into that side of affiliate marketing without some serious backing. (that and I don't personally think it's the direction the industry is headed)

anyhow, that's my .02

7. Thanks From:

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread