Gap / BananaRepublic for coupons/deals websites
    Got this email today...

No code has to be inserted here.

I must be missing something?
    [url=http://www.DealSucker.com/]DealSucker.com[/url]

It looks as if The Gap wants to be found in a proactive manner

Build a search box or use the one built by Google for your site and have references to the Gap on independent pages -- that's my interpretation.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

It sounds to me that they don't want to be found at all.

4. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Ask for clarification.

What is sounds like is they do not want their brand, their coupons, their deals INDEXED. However, it's "OK" to be in your database and be found by your internal search.

All this for a 1 day / single occurrence cook and minimal commissions - yee-hah...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

ABW Ambassador
    I wouldn't waste time asking for clarification. I would drop them. It isn't worth the hassle for a 1 day cookie.

7. Thanks From:

It could be much easier to discontinue any relations with deals/coupons web sites. I personally don't really care about Gap, BananaRepublic and other gap brands. I just cannot get this "smart innovative" marketing strategy.

BTW, am I the only one person who received this notice?

Quote Originally Posted by DealSucker View Post
    BTW, am I the only one person who received this notice?
    Oh, no. I got it, too. I am completely confused by it because it sounds like I need to reprogram my dropdown menu on my homepage so that none of their brands appear in it any longer. IMMEDIATELY. But I do not see other coupon and rebate sites doing that.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Interesting if this "smart innovative" strategy is going to become popular.

ABW Ambassador
    This strategy if adopted by many will mean, all affiliate sites will have left is just a search box, like google. No navigation, no category pages, no seo. Just one search box.

A lot of large brands no longer want to be associated with coupon/deal sites. It's something I have stated before, but I think that business model will be gone in the next couple years for affiliate marketing. (We did not receive this e-mail, but the vast majority of our sites are content sites in our network)

Quote Originally Posted by Prosperent View Post
    A lot of large brands no longer want to be associated with coupon/deal sites. It's something I have stated before, but I think that business model will be gone in the next couple years for affiliate marketing. (We did not receive this e-mail, but the vast majority of our sites are content sites in our network)
    Interesting observation, Prosperent.

If the coupon/deal business model goes, then will all affiliate coupon offers go as well or will affiliates just weave deals and offers seamlessly into their content?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I can't really answer that. I think margins with coupons are becoming an issue for merchants, and I think the overall industry perception of coupon/deal sites is bad right now. Merchants think that customers are going to their sites, then leaving to find coupons before they come back and complete their purchase. In other words, they see it as someone coming in and taking a chunk out of a sale that they would have had anyway. Does industry data support this? I don't know. We don't have much coupon traffic, so I can't answer that. I can say that networks are overjoyed when they hear that we don't have much in the way of coupon traffic though.

The other issue affiliates need to be aware of is one if value. Is the type of site you are building one that adds long term value to the internet, the retailer, the brand? Affiliate marketing has typically consisted of thin affiliate sites that don't offer more information than one could easily obtain from the retailers site itself. The issue here is one of SEO. If the affiliate site didn't exist, the sale would have likely gone straight through the merchant. Those that were good at SEO outranked the merchant and made loads of money. I don't see this being viable for much longer. Google doesn't like it, merchants don't like it, etc.

So, what does an affiliate do then? I think we are going to have to step our game up. Build sites with real content that bring value to the brand. Reviews, comparisons, the type of data you can't get by going direct to the merchant. Right now looking forward for our company, i'm focusing the team on building tools that take affiliate marketing more main stream. Monetize content sites and communities that have a long term purpose. If you build a denim forum with tens of thousands of active members, you are building long term value, and the site deserves to rank well and generate sales (just one example). We're also working on a "cloud" review system which will help augment the data on affiliate sites. Throwing together a site with a datafeed has limited value, but add price comparisons, merchant reviews, product reviews, and you create something that can help a consumer make an informed decision. These are things that have traditionally been very difficult for the average affiliate to tackle (and in some cases impossible). Hopefully we can change that.

Anyhow, that's my take on the industry as it stands. I could be way off base, only time will tell.

16. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    If the coupon/deal business model goes, then will all affiliate coupon offers go as well or will affiliates just weave deals and offers seamlessly into their content?
    Or better yet, merchants will simply post available coupons on their own sites to help close the deals instead of sending people away from their shopping carts to search for "coupon codes".

That way, those big parasites will not have a chance to hijack cookies from other affiliates.

18. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Perhaps we can get affiliate marketing back to its roots, creating awareness of new and small brands to consumers hungry for new products and customer service. I worked for several $100M merchants/distributors who told me in the beginning affiliates accounted for half of their sales. Then as the brands grew it shrunk to 10% at best. At first they loved the fact that affiliates did PPC to their brand but once the brand had equity they drove those affiliates away. They loved that they could put out a coupon code and within an hour see sales. Now they scrub the web to make sure coupon sites don't list the codes they offer in their emails, on Facebook, etc. Funny thing is that affiliate marketing once properly setup up is a performance channel and doesn't cost much to sustain. All other channels cost 10's of $1000 to purchase traffic. Merchant paid search takes trained internal assets or an outside agency.

What sucks for affiliates that I see repeated here is that the big brands convert and replacing with boutique brands is not always a 1:1 relationship. Not sure how we get around that other than to be choosy in who you pick and ask for conversion data.

That's a tough one. Like you said, the big brands are what really convert. We have loads of traffic, and it's always the big brands that are on top month after month. We literally wouldn't be in business if it weren't for them.

The ironic thing is, when we first created the concept for our company we discussed building it as a platform for small local and unheard of brands. We quickly found that it would be difficult to sustain a business around that model. Definitely not impossible, but difficult.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Affiliate Marketing constantly reinvents itself and will have to do so in this area. Problem I see is that big brands as well as small brands want the exposure. I remember about six years ago how sessions at Internet Retailer would bash on affiliate programs because brand managers were terrified. Now they all taught that they have programs. I wonder if brand managers also cringe when their CMO taught all the company sales they get from Amazon when Amazon determines how the brand is represented?

It's almost a catch 22. If we didn't have the big brands, no affiliates would work with us, but because we have the big brands, over 80% of our traffic goes to a few large retailers at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by helpingmoms View Post
    Oh, no. I got it, too. I am completely confused by it because it sounds like I need to reprogram my dropdown menu on my homepage so that none of their brands appear in it any longer. IMMEDIATELY. But I do not see other coupon and rebate sites doing that.
    I didn't see any well known coupon site or rebate out there who still having them on the main page. As the company seem serious about it, I believe those who didn't read the email will be dropped from their program soon.

Quote Originally Posted by OneGoodMan View Post
    I didn't see any well known coupon site or rebate out there who still having them on the main page. As the company seem serious about it, I believe those who didn't read the email will be dropped from their program soon.
    I thought that they considered the drop-down merchant list on the homepage as linking from the homepage? It seems that they want the ONLY way that they can be found to be from the Search Box. Am I reading that wrong?
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

That's how I read it as well. They can only show up in search results, but can't be explicitly listed anywhere on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by helpingmoms View Post
    It seems that they want the ONLY way that they can be found to be from the Search Box. Am I reading that wrong?
    That's what it looks like.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

27. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread