Exclamation Nice emails - Meaning what?
    I just got these two emails, but I am not clairvoyant...

Too bad I didn't win the powerball last Saturday, otherwise...
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Restockit is playing with their terms - didn't like it, and reverted...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

4. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post
    I just got these two emails, but I am not clairvoyant...
    Funny you brought it up, Mr Sal. I thought I am the only one who couldn't read those SAS term change messages.

I don't remember since when they started this format. Never bother to ask nor try to decipher the messages...

6. Thanks From:

I'm not able to interpret these messages either. Sometimes I think these actions are positive, sometimes negative, but I never know for sure. It would be nice to have the changes explained in plain English, instead of programming logic (where we don't know the exact algorithm, just the inputs).

playing with their terms
    I am the only one who couldn't read those SAS term change messages.
    I'm not able to interpret these messages either. Sometimes I think these actions are positive, sometimes negative,
    It's good to know that not everyone understand those weird messages.

All aboard!

9. Thanks From:

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    I'll work on the messages, they aren't quite as hard to understand once you see a bunch of them but I do understand they can be a bit cryptic.

There are basically 2 key points in there, the column where the commission can change - and the action that would cause that commission change. An "english" description might not be possible but it can definitely be improved.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

11. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Brian, since you are kind enough to join the conversation, I would like to ask a few questions based on Mr. Sal's attachment:

1. Priority 1 - What's the meaning of it? I have seen Priority 3 and 4 on some other emails before.

2. Commission Action: Add Flat Amount 10 --- ??

3.Conditions: Numbers of Sales Total Less Than 1 -- less than 1? Is it 0?

13. Thanks From:

There's a follow up email from Restockit explaining what they were trying to do...

The priorities are basically just the order that the rules would run in... Priority 1 runs first, then 2, then 3, etc...

Commission Action is what is happening to the commission. So "Add flat amount 10" is just adding $10 to whatever calculated commission is. Usually, that is a first-sale bonus or something along those lines. You may also see something like "Add 2 percentage points" which would change the rate from 10% to 12% for example.

Conditions are all of the conditions that would make this rule run.

They are most commonly related to performance metrics... so saying "Less than 1" is the same as saying "0" which means, if your total sales are 0 - then it is your first overall sale being commissioned. This is common as a "first sale bonus".

You may also see things like "New Customer", clickstream stuff such as when the click was counted (greater than or less than a certain number of minutes ago), etc...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

16. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    So,

What the first email was saying is:

"If you send us first sale, we will give you a $10 bonus"?

And the second email was saying:

"The $10 first sale bonus promotion is over"?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    There's a follow up email from Restockit explaining what they were trying to do...
    Sorry, I'm not a Restockit affiliate. Just try to get a clear reading of my other similar email messages.

19. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly View Post
    So,

Yes that is it!
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

21. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly View Post
    So,

Close.

What they ended up with was a $10 bonus for the FIRST sale over $50. What was sent out and subsequently removed was a $10 bonus for the first sale.

Since this merchant is on multiple networks, I see a lot of affiliates doing some link switching, lol.

Well, at least the merchant is trying to get folks excited...

23. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    I know this thread is 240 days old...

Another one from deluxe need to be deciphered. I even went to SAS account and tried to find out what has changed, still no clue. Can we please talk business in human language?
    Attached Images Attached Images

25. Thanks From:

As it reads, that one is setting commission percentage to 100 if an Affiliate is "New" meaning in the last 45 days.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

ABW Ambassador
    I'm lost Brian.

Do you mean 100% commission for "new" costumers? It sounds unbelievable...

I see the SAS account default commission is 20%. So what changed?

I'm just reading the rule literally - it says 100percent commission for any new AFFILIATE who has joined in the last 45 days.

For better understanding of it specifically, I'd recommend contacting the Merchant for any clarification on defaults, etc...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

29. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for your reply, Brian.

Wow, 100% commission...I wish I'm a new affiliate of them.
    This sounds unreal. I may check with them later.

Knowing that this might not be an issue for some, I'm still going to ask anyway:

Brian, is it possible that you can make the merchant's term change email be sent out in plain English? I really like the way CJ does it. They provide merchant summary of the change and attach the detail in the emails.

We're going to do a little with this this year, so hopefully can improve it for you. I know it can be a challenge but these are automated rules, and emails based on rules. We'll see what we can do.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Affiliate Manager MartyM-Deluxe's Avatar
    Let me clarify the recent communication sent out by ShareASales automated messenger when a merchant implements a rule edit, change, or anew.

Back in October of 2013 we entered into a recruiting promotion that included 100% commission payout for the first 30 days after we received the first click. This promotion was to run 90 days through to the end of the year to gain some new affiliates promoting our products. We rolled this out in our Bags and Bows as well in our “Deluxe For Business” aka “Deluxe Business Products” aka aka “Shop Deluxe” affiliate programs. Yes branding the Deluxe Small Business Sales, Inc program has been a challenge to say the least. In short two programs, BnB and DFB.

Since this was a 90 day pilot we decided managed it manually in-house day over day due to the limitations of both SAS and CJ UI’s by not being able to start the 30 day ticker after receiving the first click (affiliate specific). We would view our new affiliates and their traffic stats each day and when we received a click we then manually implement a 100% commission payout rule within SAS. And in CJ’s case all new affiliates were automatically started at 100% commission payout and then after we received their first click we then replaced their terms 30 days out with our standard commission payout terms.

We chose to manage our 100% commission payout promotion manually before reaching out to both networks prior to asking them to exhaust resources to manage this promotion in an automated fashion by implementing custom programming within their UIs (based on starting the 30 day 100% commission payout promtion after receiving the first click).

Like everything with the affiliate industry we learn and grow all while being nimble enough to act as a hybrid. Think of us as Jazz musicians getting on stage and starting our set in D#dim7 and 1 hour later ending our set in F#m7add4 all while never stopping to take a break but all along way finding new and interesting riffs, bridges, and choruses to build upon that we never knew excited. That’s the beauty of our industry.

The pilot was a success therefore we are extending our 100% commission payout for Q1 of 2014, BUT like those Jazz musicians we were able to learn some things while watching the data in the first 90 days. First, day to day manual management is labor intensive and cumbersome. Second, general trends show of those affiliates who are really serious about promoting our products get up live with our programs and start sending us traffic within a couple of weeks. Therefore we decided to remove ourselves from day to day manual management of this promotion by using SAS’s commission rules to implement this promotion across our entire program for all new affiliates. The big change was moving away from starting the 30 day clock after receiving the first click but instead offering 100% commission payout for the first 45 days after being approved into our Bags and Bows and Deluxe For Business programs. When we implemented that rule program wide all affiliates received a rather confusing email from SAS’s automated messenger unbeknown to us until we started to received emails and forum posts about this issue.

We thank Brian Littleton for jumping into this conversation in an effort to help clarify.

I hope this post cleared things up a bit and remember if you ever have questions or concerns about our programs we are always affiliate facing and here to help explain and or clarify our position.
    Thanks all!
    Marty-

33. Thanks From:

34. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread