Kevin Trudeau on 'The Lookout'
    Watching a new ABC show, in this first episode they're looking for Kevin Trudeau, the ultimate infomercial huckster..

I didn't realize he had declared bankruptcy after a $37 million fine against him.

While not specifically related to affiliate marketing, I often think these kind of scammers give us all a bad name.

2. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Didn't know he was missing lol - could have sworn he was on a late night infomercial a month or so back...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

He's living in Switzerland - fled the country.. but still travels back to the US for presentations.

Interestingly, he claims he has no assets.. but his Ukranian-born wife (who he married just before the fine, and now attends film school at NYU) is President, Treasurer & Secretary of "her" company (his Global Information Network) that has taken in more than $60 million.

I had no idea just how successful he was - didn't think anyone actually bought what he was selling!
    Last edited by teezone; May 29th, 2013 at 10:40 PM.

6. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post

I had no idea just how successful he was - didn't think anyone actually bought what he was selling!
    You never met my late, wealthy, "monster-in-law". More cash than common sense at times...

BIG lol... I nearly spit out my coffee reading your post..

Personally I'm surrounded by skeptics.. they lean more towards conspiracy theory. And if it sounds too good to be true, you should avoid it at ALL costs, as someone is definitely trying to take advantage..

I can see someone being taken in for a few hundred bucks here and there (for seminars & CDs, etc), but the amounts are shocking..

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Can't he just read his book and make that money back? I remember him before he did infomercials about 10 years ago. Thought he was full of shit then too!

10. Thanks From:

For teezone: Thanks for that more info link, I saw the ABC preview but I was waiting for the new episode.

For Convergence: This is an off topic reply but I have to say it.

Convergence, if you click on that link Kevin Trudeau: Chasing the Dream Seller - ABC News

Do you get the same computer freeze action we get when login at CJ?

I did!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post

Convergence, if you click on that link Kevin Trudeau: Chasing the Dream Seller - ABC News

Do you get the same computer freeze action we get when login at CJ?

I did!
    Nope - did take a full 20 seconds to load, though...

13. Thanks From:

BTW, watched some of that show after you posted, Teezone. Guess you're East of us here in the Rocky Mountains...

Yup, I'm a Canadian on EST, who happens to be a night owl.

Sidebar: The ABC link loads fast for me (Firefox 16.0), but notice some kind of special effect in the header - I suspect the hang might some new javascript effect gaining popularity.

Back to Kevin Trudeau, when they caught up with him on the street, he was quite affable and charming - the quintessential snake oil salesman! It's scary how convincing some people can be..

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Yup, I'm a Canadian on EST, who happens to be a night owl.
    Started my Summer schedule this week - school is out. So up 3 hours later and to bed 3 hours later...

I frequently go to various thrift shops (usually Goodwill) on the hunt for vintage clothes and stuff. I always stop to check out the books, and there are always at least 2 or 3 of his stupid books there.

Yeah, sociopaths are usually quite lovely on the outside.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex2Ws View Post

Yeah, sociopaths are usually quite lovely on the outside.
    Actually, it is psychopaths who are "quite lovely on the outside", who generally exhibit charming and disarming personalities, who are manipulative and can easily gain people’s trust. Sociopaths, on the other hand, tend to be nervous, easily agitated, usually have low levels of education, and appear to most observers to clearly be disturbed. They are more prone to spontaneous anti-social actions, while psychopaths generally plan out every detail of their schemes, and usually have various contingencies for whatever may not go precisely as planned. Interestingly enough, there are professionals in various fields including psychiatry and criminology that lump both categories together as one.

Don't know much about this Trudeau character, but from what has been said about him here, I would suggest the more proper diagnosis would be psychopathy rather than sociopathy.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

19. Thanks From:

Check out the site SociopathWorld , where the author admits to being a very slick, well-liked sociopath ( who just happens to be a lawyer, and also a Mormon lol). A friend of mine is a psychiatrist, and he says lately sociopath is just a polite word for psychopath in many circles.

I guess it's something we could argue about, but since even experts disagree, there is no point.

A definition I saw was the exact opposite of yours! The psychopath was the lunatic anti-social reclusive, and the sociopath is the one who has the appearance of a normal social life. In any case, just stay away!!!!

I'd love to read the book promoted on SociopathWorld but do not want to give my good money to the author hahaha
    Last edited by Ex2Ws; June 30th, 2013 at 09:30 PM.

I'm inclined to agree with the sociopath diagnosis.. they are known to be quite charming.

I actually have had the pleasure of working with two of them - same company, different departments! The guy who ran our division actually enjoyed pitting people against each other, he thought that chaos & disruption was more conducive to success.

There was an article published in the Globe & Mail 6+ years ago, a few people kept it under their desk as a constant reminder and a running joke. I saved this as a reminder myself (don't know where it came from, it was sent to me via email a few years ago)
    This website summarizes some of the common features of descriptions of the behavior of sociopaths.
    - Glibness and Superficial Charm
    - Manipulative and Conning - They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.
    - Grandiose Sense of Self - Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."
    - Pathological Lying - Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.
    - Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt - A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.
    - Shallow Emotions - When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.
    - Incapacity for Love
    - Need for Stimulation - Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common.
    - Callousness/Lack of Empathy - Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.
    - Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature - Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.
    - Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency
    Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc.
    - Irresponsibility/Unreliability - Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.
    - Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle - Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively.
    - Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility - Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    The terms "Sociopath" and "Psychopath" are not terms used as diagnoses in psychiatry or clinical psychology, but are more terms of art used in sociology and criminology.

Psychiatric disorders are categorized according to the industry standard, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, the DSM, and the DSM has always labeled the symptomology which lay persons refer to as sociopathic and psychopathic behavior under the definition of the Antisocial Personality Disorder.

While DSM-V was just published in May, 2013, I have no further need for new editions and in referring to my copy of DSM-IV, the Antisocial Personality Disorder category's "Diagnostic Features" section states, following a basic definition, that "this pattern has also been referred to as psychopathy, sociopathy, or dyssocial personalty disorder."

As occurs with many "terms of art", their meanings become obfuscated and with continued use, more than just blurred, but thoroughly confused. For example, most people assume that the term "state of the art" means the most advanced product in a given niche. The original meaning was rather the opposite, actually meaning the mundane, widely distributed and most common product in the niche, a niche that had newer, better advanced products, but products that had not yet become either popular or readily available.

Likewise with the two terms sociopath and psychopath. Their usage is blurred, and misused consistently. I stand by my earlier post as the the correct usage of each term, and add this more complete definition from a paper written by Dr. Kelly McAleer, Psy.D., on "Sociopathy vs. Psychopathy":
    "The last main difference between psychopathy and sociopathy is in the presentation. The psychopath is callous, yet charming. He or she will con and manipulate others with charisma and intimidation and can effectively mimic feelings to present as “normal” to society. The psychopath is organized in their criminal thinking and behavior, and can maintain good emotional and physical control, displaying little to no emotional or autonomic arousal, even under situations that most would find threatening or horrifying. The psychopath is keenly aware that what he or she is doing is wrong, but does not care.

Conversely, the sociopath is less organized in his or her demeanor; he or she might be nervous, easily agitated, and quick to display anger. A sociopath is more likely to spontaneously act out in inappropriate ways without thinking through the consequences. Compared to the psychopath, the sociopath will not be able to move through society committing callous crimes as easily, as they can form attachments and often have “normal temperaments.” The sociopath will lie, manipulate and hurt others, just as the psychopath would, but will often avoid doing so to the select few people they care about, and will likely feel guilty should they end up hurting someone they care about.

So, while these two terms seem interchangeable on the surface because they share many of the same characteristics, they are more like two sides of the same coin. Looking at the differences may seem futile; however, looking at psychopathy and sociopathy as different constructs may prove to be helpful in understanding the etiology of these disorders, and in the development of effective treatment methods."
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

On the fictional side, I'm a big fan of Patricia Highsmith's work. She wrote The Talented Mr Ripley and Strangers On a Train. I've yet to read all the Ripley books, but have read many of her short stories. She had great insight into the minds of these whateverpaths, that's for sure!
    I unfortunately got too close to one. My instincts told me there was something "off" about her, but I'm basically a pretty unexciting , wimpy woman and she was so brash and fascinating.

The more she let her guard down, the more frightening she became. I eventually broke off the friendship, assuming there would be some kind of repercussion. When I wouldn't go along with something she wanted, she promised to ruin my life. And because she is sooo good at playing the game, she did!
    So, the lesson is, they're out there, in the business world and in your social life.

I've never retaliated against her, because I am no match . I was recently put in the position where I felt I had to tell someone I'm afraid of her. Of course the response was, "What? Her? She's so sweet! I think you're mistaken." And that's how they win the game.

Well, thanks for listening to that. Living well is the best revenge (supposedly). Moving away is a good idea too haha.

I wonder what it feels like to be a Sociopath. I have tried it and failed lol. Imagine all the money that can be made when you become a non feeling being.

Living life like a coupon toolbar. That TRUDEAU!
    :groovy:Woodstock was before my time, and I am forever angry I missed that concert.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread