Edelman Comments to European Commission on Proposed Google Commitments
    Ben Edelman's latest on Google's antics. 3 downloadable PDFs with his comments about undoing prior harm, excluding the competition, Google flight service. Good reads.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Renée. I'm subscribed to this thread and would enjoy discussing this subject with anyone interested.

Welcome back, Ben!

5. Thanks From:

The disconnect between what Google says and what it does is greater than ever. No matter how you slice or dice it, your average internet user still favors the Google SE. "Google it" is part of our lexicon.

From your comment-edelman-to-dgcom-28may2013 PDF:
    A special remedy is also appropriate because Google decided to favor its own specialized search services despite Google’s prior statements to users. For years, Google told users and web sites that Google was an impartial arbiter of site quality and relevance. I present ten such quotes at Hard-Coding Bias in Google "Algorithmic" Search Results (at heading “Google Usually Promises Unbiased Results”), including Google co-founder Sergey Brin stating that Google’s “approach to search is” “fully automated” and Google’s “Explanation of Search Results” page (through May 2007) claiming that “Our search results are generated completely objectively and are independent of the beliefs and preferences of those who work at Google.” In sharp contrast to these claims, Google now admits – and now claims that it is Google’s right – to favor its own services.[emphasis mine] Having repeatedly promised a billion users for a decade to be “completely unbiased” and “objective[] and independent”, Google cannot reverse its position in an instant. Rather, Google should be required to prominently tell users about this important change. There is ample precedent for such notification: Google has used its home page to tout political policies on which Google has a view, and Google has modified its site to notify users of its use of cookies (as required by EC law). A similar notification, with text and process approved by the Commission, is appropriate to affirmatively alert users that Google’s previously-stated policies are no longer in effect.
    Your average internet user has no knowledge nor interest in this. Random queries to friends & family show 100% have no idea what a cookie is or does. They wonder how certain ads follow them around, but other than wonder, most do not take any action to avoid retargeting.

While I certainly think that Google must be made to stop gaming their own search engine, (ironically, something they preached as a mantra to webmasters), compliance, especially in the U.S. where politicians seem to be much less informed than their European counterparts about this issue, is going to be a long, tough road.

I'm not confident that we'll ever return to the age of impartial search engines. Billions of dollars dictate this direction, not ethics.

Throughout history, all tyrannies (whether political or corporate) utlimately have consumed themselves and collapsed. They overfilled and burst their own greed bubble: at some point your average person rebels or no longer find them useful. I believe that social sites are the seeds for an exodus away from SE usage, at least for consumer commerce.

Please don't get me wrong, I certainly hope that more impartiality will be required. Checks and balances are always necessary. It's clear that Google's intentions are 100% for themselves, for those who understand what's going on. Most don't.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

7. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    It appears, at least to me, that since the Anti-Trust issue was dropped the Google kicked "Do No Evil" straight to the curb - even flaunting doing so...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

9. Thanks From:

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread