Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    Recruiting new affiliates in SAS May 2013
    Hi All,

I have not used SAS in a few years and am launching a new program now.

So far I do not see much in the way of publisher recruitment tools.

The only thing I see are paid placements/"Featured Programs", and most of these opportunities are sold out for months, and in some cases for the rest of the year.

Does SAS allow me to search for a publisher by affiliate id or name to recruit them to my program?

If I am not mistaken the only thing is the "Affiliate Aquarium".

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

thanks,
    Amy

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    It seems merchants can send out invitations to join their program. But no one has sent me an invitation in over a year so I don't check. I guess it was never popularized.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Quote Originally Posted by oranges View Post
    It seems merchants can send out invitations to join their program. But no one has sent me an invitation in over a year so I don't check. I guess it was never popularized.
    The few "paid-for" invitations I received were not even close to being on target and were, therefore totally ignored.

Amy, other than those recruiting emails, you pretty much described the scenario. I am both a merchant and an affiliate and do NOT use the Aquarium - don't know too many people who do. Overall, it is a great idea - but just adds another way to dilute available time - and I can't do it all.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    There are three ways of attracting affiliate to your program in Shareasale:

• If your program is very competitive and has good numbers affiliates will see that in the merchant list.
    • Promote inside the network and outside the network i.e. advertising.
    • Find affiliates sites directly and contact them personally.

Chuck and I can tell you the real secrets, but then we'd have to kill you.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

6. Thanks From:

Chuck and I can tell you the real secrets, but then we'd have to kill you.
    The real secrets are years of hard work and involvement in the industry, developing relationships with affiliates and providing them something of value. Can't find that in a course!

8. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    The real secrets are years of hard work and involvement in the industry, developing relationships with affiliates and providing them something of value. Can't find that in a course!
    I can't believe you told everyone.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

10. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    I can't believe you told everyone.
    I know, right?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

In all seriousness - Both Chuck and Greg have my email address that is outside the network emails we use. Also, they have my Skype handle, phone numbers, etc.

Makes it real easy for them to say "Hey..."

How'd they get them? I have no idea!

J/K - relationships is what it's all about...

13. Thanks From:

Ya and I emailed, called and skyped you about my new merchant rubber baby buggy bumpers.com and you never made a sale!!

15. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Sounds like I will have to do offline recruiting and bring them in to SAS myself.

Does SAS have a list showing top performers in their network, sort of the equivalent to a "CJ Performer"? I am not talking contact info, but rather just a basic list so that we all know that our GAN and CJ affiliates are in SAS. For example: Ebates, ShopAtHome, CouponCabin, etc..

I would imagine that with GAN closing, SAS will see an increase in top publishers becoming active?

Quote Originally Posted by amybell View Post
    Does SAS have a list showing top performers in their network, sort of the equivalent to a "CJ Performer"? I am not talking contact info, but rather just a basic list so that we all know that our GAN and CJ affiliates are in SAS. For example: Ebates, ShopAtHome, CouponCabin, etc.
    That's a selling point you should share with your clean prospects...

There are some "top publishers" active in SAS.
    Quote Originally Posted by amybell
    ...For example: Ebates, ShopAtHome, CouponCabin, etc..
    Sooo......you're looking for parasites and poachers to add to your program?
    Remind me to stay away, far away, from whatever it is you are promoting.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Affiliate Manager
    I knew someone was going to say that about parasites when I mentioned Ebates, SAH.

I have had great experience with Ebates over the years and have found the sales quality to be very good, I know every merchant is different.

You've got to be on these sites in this time, or your out.

ABW Ambassador
    I knew someone was going to say that about parasites when I mentioned Ebates, SAH.

I have had great experience with Ebates over the years and have found the sales quality to be very good, I know every merchant is different.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Amy,

Definitely give our Client Services team a call or email - we can help you get up to speed on all of the recruiting options on ShareASale.

We don't provide "lists" of Affiliates, generally speaking I think those things are private to the Affiliates involved.

There are some Affiliates that we are unable to work with due to our "No Software" policy which we can share more with you when we speak.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!

23. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks Brian, I will give a call.

Let's pretend you're an affiliate. You invested time and money putting up a website and promoting it. You're not a coupon site, but list a few codes for merchants along with product pages, content, etc. A customer clicks on one of your links and goes to a merchant site. Then pops up a notice or toolbar flashing alert from __________ (fill in the blank) with a coupon deal. So they click and see the code, which in many cases, is the same code you have on your site. They then click the link at ________ and go to the merchant's checkout page and enter it. Your aff cookie is overwritten. What does the customer know from this? Nada thing.

You, the aff, just lost the sale & commission.

Another scenario: customer arrived directly at the merchant site, is at the checkout. Again, ________ alerts the customer to a deal offer. A customer was ready to buy & now the merchant has to pay extra for a sale that they shouldn't have.

So tell me Amy, how does ________ bring you quality sales? Through their own effort or on the backs of other affs? By having a customer use a toolbar that alerts them even if they've arrived at the merchant's site through organic search or their PPC ads? Do you enjoy having to pay (twice when it comes to PPC), no matter what? They don't drive traffic, they leech off it: yours and other affs.
    Last edited by JoyUnltd; May 31st, 2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: clarification
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

That's the mentality that is killing this industry. Absolutely clueless.

You don't have to recruit affiliates "into" ShareASale. You have to find the right partners already in the network but there is no shortcut.
    Greg Hoffman

I can't help myself at this point.

Here are two ways to manage programs.

1. Auto approve everyone, watch for sales from the toolbar, software, paid search and paid search coupon affiliates. Give them everything they ask for and watch your affiliate channel skyrocket in sales. In the meantime, your SEO, paid search, email, shopping engines and any other channels are losing sales rapidly. YOU are the star of the show. Congratulations. You have successfully killed growth for your company but your numbers look fabulous.

2. Work hard to find content affiliates that love your brand. Let them do reviews for their social media audiences. Police paid search affiliates. Work with a handful of trusted coupon sites. Exclude toolbars, software and other affiliates that overwrite affiliate cookies. Affiliates convert at high rates. Your program will grow slow and steady with new customers. Within a year, you are a rockstar with a higher percentage of new customers and none of the other channels have suffered.

You can build a clean program from the bottom up but its hard to clean up a program after managers like you get fired.
    Greg Hoffman

+1

Standing "O"...

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    ...That's the mentality that is killing this industry. Absolutely clueless....
    Heya, Greg, I agree that Amy has that "mentality" that is killing the industry but don't believe she is absolutely clueless. She joined ABW nearly four years ago and she admits to having great experience with Ebates "over the years." That doesn't make Amy clueless - that makes Amy complicit.

I'm dyin' to know what program she's running. Please PM or email if ya don't wanna spill the beans in public.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; June 1st, 2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: removed personal information

Affiliate Manager
    Greg, I am anything but clueless. I have been successfully managing affiliate programs for major brands for 8 years in the major networks. I am new to SAS as a merchant and was looking for some help with the system in terms of tools.

Just because someone does not agree with you does not make them clueless.

That's the mentality that is killing this industry. Absolutely clueless.

You don't have to recruit affiliates "into" ShareASale. You have to find the right partners already in the network but there is no shortcut

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Heya, Greg, I agree that Amy has that "mentality" that is killing the industry but don't believe she is absolutely clueless. She joined ABW nearly four years ago and she admits to having great experience with Ebates "over the years." That doesn't make Amy clueless - that makes Amy complicit.
    I'm dyin' to know what program she's running. Please PM or email if ya don't wanna spill the beans in public.
    Bingo!

Btw, I believe that the program (if it's the same), is listed already on the first post from a year ago.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; June 1st, 2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: removed personal information

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast