Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Lands' End - Damndest email...
    We are officially 2 months through Q2 and we would like to update you on your Landsí End Quarterly Minimum goals.

Youíre currently at 0 sales for the quarter and only need 10 sales to remain in the Landsí End program after June 31st. You will also be required to reach 10 sales every quarter moving forward. Considering the size of this program and the strength of the Landsí End brand, this goal of 10 sales should be easily attainable.

Landsí End wishes to keep the program to a selective group of high quality affiliates. While you have been hand-selected to participate in our program, we understand that you may not have the bandwidth to support this program. If you believe that you wonít be able to promote Landsí End on your site, please let me know and Iíll remove you from the program and remove you from our communications about Landsí End.
    We became an affiliate on April 8, 2013. We try to stick to our production schedule (hah), monitor emails from the merchant, get a feel for them, monitor their feeds, etc before committing time and resources to promote.

Above is a copy of their email received today. The red color and italics is their formatting.

Love this part:

While you have been hand-selected to participate in our program, we understand that you may not have the bandwidth to support this program.
    The BANDWIDTH? ROFL

Damndest email I've read in a long time...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Never was a fan of that elitist corporate-speak phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsFan View Post
    Never was a fan of that elitist corporate-speak phrase.
    Feel so motivated now to go after that 2-4% commish on that 1 day cookie...

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Convergence,

You know lands end is owned by sears/kmart so is it really a shock? You remember my emails with them. These people don't seem to business savvy when it comes to affiliate marketing. They would prefer guarantee they make no sales, than less than 10 a quarter.

Maybe I'm biased, I still believe that as long as an affiliate isn't hurting the merchants brand or doing something shady there is no reason to keep an affiliate out of a program. How could it possibly hurt a company to have unproductive or minimally productive affiliates?
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Quote Originally Posted by oranges View Post
    You know lands end is owned by sears/kmart so is it really a shock? You remember my emails with them. These people don't seem to business savvy when it comes to affiliate marketing. They would prefer guarantee they make no sales, than less than 10 a quarter.
    Ah-hah, remember now, LOL - threw me off without all the leaks at the top of the site.

Quote Originally Posted by oranges View Post
    Maybe I'm biased, I still believe that as long as an affiliate isn't hurting the merchants brand or doing something shady there is no reason to keep an affiliate out of a program. How could it possibly hurt a company to have unproductive or minimally productive affiliates?
    I still ponder that daily...

6. Thanks From:

lol, just got the same e-mail. I must be special though. I only need 5 sales to stay lol.

We are officially 2 months through Q2 and we would like to update you on your Lands’ End Quarterly Minimum goals.

You’re currently at 0 sales for the quarter and only need 5 sales to remain in the Lands’ End program after June 31st. You will also be required to reach 10 sales every quarter moving forward. Considering the size of this program and the strength of the Lands’ End brand, this goal of 10 sales should be easily attainable.

8. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Prosperent View Post
    lol, just got the same e-mail. I must be special though. I only need 5 sales to stay lol.
    ROFL

Thanks, needed a good chuckle...

Wait - WTF? Not chuckling any more.

Didn't see the 0/5 - assumed it was 5/10.

Well, I never...

Yeah, I had to read it a couple times to make sure. How do they determine that I wonder?

You said you were special -

Do you ride a short bus and wear a helmet?

13. Thanks From:

Only on Fridays.... And sometimes Tuesdays....... and the third wednesday of each month, but that's it!

15. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Because affiliate become a number and a number has to produce. From my perspective this is great, less overall affiliates promoting them means those affiliates can market less well known brands.

Convergence I sincerely hope you wrote them back and included this quote:
    We became an affiliate on April 8, 2013. We try to stick to our production schedule (hah), monitor emails from the merchant, get a feel for them, monitor their feeds, etc before committing time and resources to promote.

17. Thanks From:

Yep. Then copied my email to the forum

No, Chuck, I don't believe affiliates become a number who
    have to produce.

Michael Coley once wrote a great post advising not to drop affiliates.
    I tried to look for it but it might take a while ...
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

we understand that you may not have the bandwidth to support this program
    Convergence, are you hosting your sites via dial-up modem..??

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    No, Chuck, I don't believe affiliates become a number who
    have to produce.
    No my opinion but every company that I have worked with looks at the numbers and not the people.

22. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Convergence, are you hosting your sites via dial-up modem..??
    1200 baud, Baby!

24. Thanks From:

YAY
    I found the eloquent advice by Michael Coley on
    "What To Do With Inactive Affiliates"
    I like this advice:
    With many affiliate programs, up to 90% of affiliates are inactive. One of the most tempting things for affiliate managers to do is to "trim the dead weight" and remove the inactive affiliates. This is one of the worst things you could ever do. Don't even threaten to terminate them.

What's wrong with terminating inactive affiliates?

1) If you terminate an affiliate, most will never come back to your program. There are many threads here where you can see the fury expressed by affiliates who have been terminated for inactivity: 1 2 3 4.

2) Some of the best affiliates take longer than average to get active with your program.

3) Inactive affiliates don't cost you anything.

4) They've expressed some interest in your program by signing up. As such, your inactive affiliate list is one of your best recruiting sources. What would you pay for a list of 10,000 potential affiliates? If you have 10,000 inactive affiliates, that recruiting list is FREE!

5) You never know which ones will be the future top performers. If you've been running your program for very long, you can probably look at your current top 20 affiliates and it's an entirely list than a few years ago. When you terminate inactive affiliatess, you have no way of knowing which ones would have been your top performers in the future.

Source this post: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/661054-post1.html
    Read the entire thread, it has excellent advice
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/merch...tes-85372.html
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

26. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    1200 baud, Baby!
    Geocities hosting?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

The issue with them dropping us is the fact that you never know when a large affiliate is going to join us that has traffic in that niche. By dropping us, you are automatically shooting yourselves in the foot. (Assuming their offer is competitive enough to come up in our results, which is not the case here).

There is NOTHING in the terms that mention minimum quarterly sales.

Just strengthens the argument for a new network. EVERY single network out there now will say "address it with the merchant" - and the merchant ignores the affiliate...

ABW Ambassador
    Convergence, I have seen some pretty stupid emails from affiliate managers over the many years I have been an affiliate since the 90s starting with Amazon and later Befree etc but I think has got to be right up there with the worst of them.

Thanks for sharing and I will be staying well away from this outfit and will look soon to see if I'm joined with their program and remind myself never to spend anytime promoting them...

On the contrast, here is an email I got a couple of days ago from another CJ merchant. A merchant I have never made a sale with as far as I know. I spent several hours today working on some promotions for them, tell me which email motivates you more to promote them? I won't name them as they have a privacy thing at the end of the email that it's for me only:

Dear (me),

(Merchant) Help Leads Tracking!

We want to inform you that as of May 20th, (Merchant product) leads are tracking properly.

In the spirit of our partnership we would like to offer you compensation on the (Merchant offer) conversion at a payout of $10 per conversion. You have been compensated the amount of $130 and it will appear as a Bonus which can be viewed in the Account Manager.
    As of May 20th we are compensating on the lead with a payout of $4 per lead.

Feel free to let us know if you have any questions or concerns, thanks.

Best,

(Merchant) Affiliate Team
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

31. Thanks From:

Received a response this morning:

Hi ,

Thanks for reaching out with your feedback. We have taken note of this and will remain in the program.

Thanks!

33. Thanks From:

hmm so if I want to apply for them, should i wait until July first not to stick in the current quarter !!!

35. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGoodMan View Post
    hmm so if I want to apply for them, should i wait until July first not to stick in the current quarter !!!
    Why would anyone want to promote a company with such a stupid policy is beyond me!

The email that convergence got originally was probably the worst I have ever seen in over 15 years in affiliate marketing. Besides that they have set out their whole affiliate program to suit them and the 1 day cookie is proof of that.

Affiliates should tell these merchants that run their programs like this to shove their program and walk away and we would get much more respect. The problem is each time you accept these terms from them like this then it just gives other merchants the green light to also run their program like this. Do we want to see more programs with 1 day cookies? If not then why would you accept these terms. Stand up for yourself and stop getting pushed around and bullied by these affiliate managers that are probably having a good laugh now.
    Last edited by glittered; June 3rd, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

37. Thanks From:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast