...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Congrats Macy's...
    Your return ratio with us is actually higher than Zappos and 6PM combined!

Sheesh...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

2. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Your return ratio with us is actually higher than Zappos and 6PM combined!

Sheesh...
    Are you considering dropping them?

Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    Are you considering dropping them?
    Probably not, still makes money. Will see how June goes...

More than likely will start to promote their other categories other than fashion. Lower the overall return rate by promoting the categories where returns are less likely...

6. Thanks From:

More than likely will start to promote their other categories other than fashion. Lower the overall return rate by promoting the categories where returns are less likely...
    That's a good plan. I hope the return rate decreases for you.

8. Thanks From:

Just an FYI: it's not Macy's fault, it's basic to women shopping, lol! We return stuff like crazy. Online, women probably order more than they want, then return some, as it's so easy to do a return compared to shopping in a mall, where you have to stand in a customer service line to return stuff.

Sizes are not always accurate as most clothing is imported from different countries and the size patterns are different. Sometimes you'll have to buy a size up, but won't know that when you shop online. Same goes for shoes.

There's also the color issue: monitors aren't accurate and if a woman is trying to match something she already has, the actual color may be too different than what she sees on her monitor. Heck, I've done it: order something in several different colors that's on sale, then go EEEEK when you get the order and realize you don't want the same thing in a bunch of colors.

Then there's the friend issue: you try on something and a BFF tells you it looks awful, it's just not you, so you return it.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Oh, I know - lol.

But yet I have merchants in the same niche that don't have this problem...

If it's a top designer brand name that a woman shops, she knows her size is consistent within that brand. In general, she can shop online with confidence.

With high end merchandise: she may have gone to the mall and actually tried on the outfit so they can order more cheaply online (or at least save on sales tax).

Brand names in outlet malls: many items are specifically manufactured more cheaply specifically for outlets. You have to know how to find the "real" stuff. Sizes aren't always consistent from brand to brand.

Another little known fact (also told to me by an old-time, NYC "garmento"): American women are bigger, but hate buying a larger size. Some manufacturers have the size information marked smaller than it actually is.

Some brands change their overseas vendors every so often, trying to shave off a few dollars in manufacturing costs. All you need is a 1/4-1/2 inch off here and there.

Not trying to defend Macy's, etc., as much as trying to give a little enlightenment in the fashion industry in general.

Personally, I think you're very brave for doing this vertical.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

12. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd View Post
    Personally, I think you're very brave for doing this vertical.
    LOL -

My first sales job after graduating from High School was selling shoes (30+ years ago). GREAT commissions - even in-store sales had a high return rate. After about 18 months I was so grossed out I walked out one morning. To this day I find feet "gross".

Always stayed away from fashion because of the high return rate. But, a few years ago we wanted to get into a new niche - since about the only thing we don't sell or haven't sold was electronics and fashion - opted for fashion.

All-in-all, been a good choice...

I feel sorry for Zappos because of my wife. They made her a "premier" member and she gets free next day shipping and boy does she ever use it! It isn't unusual to have a $1,000 or more in purchases "floating" on our credit card as a constant stream of shoes are either being delivered to our house or returned. She buys 5-6 pair at a time and sometimes can go for a month or more without making a purchase! If she was going through an affiliate link, the return rate would drive an affiliate nuts as it has to be around 90%. She gets obsessed about finding a "sandal of a certain color that is comfortable" for instance. After about 20 pair, she will find one she likes and show it to me, in a guilty voice that lets me now something is up.

OK, how much are they I ask? $300 dollars she says.... No way, you can't have those I say, and the buy - return cycle continues. Man I feel sorry for Zappos. I keep expecting them to ban her account.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't like women fashion category, too many returns so will avoid in future and will choose anything else other than this category as I get tired of seeing my balance drop because of these high returns from women's fashion merchants.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread